Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gate but

Options
  • 31-03-2014 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I paid a carpenter to come build me a new gate at the side of my house but he put it in different place than where I wanted it seeing as I was out. Now, to be fair when I told him, it was about 7 months ago.

I called him out at the wknd to erect it, done a nice job however I'm not pleased where it is. You see, I live in a row of semis and there's a 6ft wall separating me and the other neighbour. This is where I got the gate built but i wanted it built behind the electrical meter so the esb guy can get to read it.

This gate will be locked at all times and I'd be afraid of the esb guy climbing the wall and injuring himself and possibly claiming against me. I know this might sound silly but if the gate was built in the right place, I would never have this worry!

I phoned the carpenter and explained this, asked him to move it but won't unless I give him another days pay. TBH, I'm very disappointed at his response seeing as I told him 7months ago where to put it, and also the fact I paid him well for this job.

Does anyone know where I stand on this matter. I'm nor looking legal advice but is it worth my while trying to peruse this or just let it go and pay him to move the gate.

Comments

newbie2013 wrote: »
    I paid a carpenter to come build me a new gate at the side of my house but he put it in different place than where I wanted it seeing as I was out. Now, to be fair when I told him, it was about 7 months ago.

I called him out at the wknd to erect it, done a nice job however I'm not pleased where it is. You see, I live in a row of semis and there's a 6ft wall separating me and the other neighbour. This is where I got the gate built but i wanted it built behind the electrical meter so the esb guy can get to read it.

This gate will be locked at all times and I'd be afraid of the esb guy climbing the wall and injuring himself and possibly claiming against me. I know this might sound silly but if the gate was built in the right place, I would never have this worry!

I phoned the carpenter and explained this, asked him to move it but won't unless I give him another days pay. TBH, I'm very disappointed at his response seeing as I told him 7months ago where to put it, and also the fact I paid him well for this job.

Does anyone know where I stand on this matter. I'm nor looking legal advice but is it worth my while trying to peruse this or just let it go and pay him to move the gate.

the ESB man will not climb your gate/wall!!!

just ring in your meter readings yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

Unless you drew plans, or marked out specifically where the gate was to be located then I'd say you should accept the gates current position or pay the carpenter to relocate it.
    Nobody should be expected to work for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The carpenter is a cowboy, take him to the small claims court. Any competent person would have left the gate behind the meter boxes?

Unfortunately you allowed someone work on your property while you were out though so you must accept part of the blame.had you been at home he would not have been able to do the job so badly and would have been reminded of where to put the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The carpenter should not have just assumed where the gate was going to go. If you werent there to meet them and show them what you wanted then they should not have proceeded. They might have had a case for charging you a second call out fee (if you had agreed a time with them and not been there as agreed for example), but thats beside the point now; they should not just have acted without speaking to you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

bubblypop wrote: »
    the ESB man will not climb your gate/wall!!!

just ring in your meter readings yourself.

I've seen esb workers climb a wall before to get a reading.

As for phoning in a reading myself, I've never done this before. Is it just a matter of reading numbers. I know this might sound silly but I was informed before that it's all digital now and you need a special handheld tool to read them.

• Advertisement

I've seen esb workers climb a wall before to get a reading.

As for phoning in a reading myself, I've never done this before. Is it just a matter of reading numbers. I know this might sound silly but I was informed before that it's all digital now and you need a special handheld tool to read them.

Doesn't really matter how easy or hard it is to read a meter, the gate was put in the wrong place and the carpenter should rectify the issue.

I've put a gate at the side of someone's house before. We built it just for her house (cabinet makers). If we put it in the wrong place, because we weren't sure, we'd fix it.

You can't just take on a job and ignore the person when you make a jock of it. Small Claims Court might be a route worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

djimi wrote: »
    The carpenter should not have just assumed where the gate was going to go. If you werent there to meet them and show them what you wanted then they should not have proceeded. They might have had a case for charging you a second call out fee (if you had agreed a time with them and not been there as agreed for example), but thats beside the point now; they should not just have acted without speaking to you first.

I naturally assumed that he would have erected the gate where I told him to put it 7 months ago. I know this was awhile back but I remember well telling him and didn't think he'd forget.

When erecting gates, can I just put them anywhere or do I have to build them behind the meter. The reason why I ask this is that I remember when my brother was getting a connection when building his house, it said that no obstruction be in the way of the meter box so they can get a reading. I'm now thinking they'll ask me to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The reason why I ask this is that I remember when my brother was getting a connection when building his house, it said that no obstruction be in the way of the meter box so they can get a reading. I'm now thinking they'll ask me to remove it.
    A lot of meters are inside peoples houses, so I doubt this. They call around the odd time, but most of the time I just give the automated number the details over the phone.

Advertisement