Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 Mod Warning Post #6378

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sturridge wont last the 90 against Chelsea I'm afraid. I reckon Lucas and Allen will start alongside Gerrard again with Sturridge being introduced for Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Benzino wrote: »
    I'd bring him on for Lucas around the 70 min mark, I doubt Lucas will be up for 90 minutes. This is all assuming Sturridge is not ready. Who else do we have instead, can Moses even play against Chelsea?

No, Moses can't play v Chelsea. If Sturridge is fit he will start, Rodgers will go for the 'quick kill' I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

slingerz wrote: »
    Sturridge wont last the 90 against Chelsea I'm afraid. I reckon Lucas and Allen will start alongside Gerrard again with Sturridge being introduced for Coutinho

Question is - is it worth the risk to start him and hammer them from the off, and risk him not being ok for the last 2 games? Or use as an impact sub and protect him?

I think if they start him, he'll have been proven to be 100%. Otherwise, same team as Norwich, and he's a great bench option should we need a goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He hasn't been playing that well before his injury, and he really has a habit of disappearing out of a game after he scores so I would start with him on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Are you qualified to make that assessment
    Only the club physio knows how he is plus he hasn't played much 90 minutes lately .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know one bad result from disaster. It's just that I keep expecting them to fail and yet ever week they're getting it done. It's like 2001 just with a lot more pressure.

We're not one result from a disaster.

This season has been a success regardless of what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

djPSB wrote: »

While I agree with this fully, I'm finding it so hard to think like that.

I will be bitterly disappointed if we don't win the league and I'll feel like we have dropped the ball majorly. Chances like this don't come around often and it really is there for the taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Benimar wrote: »
    No, Moses can't play v Chelsea.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is that. We haven't a chance. Doomed, I tell you, we're doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm sure he's well versed in the field of physiotherapy, masters degree in Hamstring injuries and world renowned speaker on recovery times related to injuries.....

Or he could just be voicing his opinion/take on things on a messaging forum....on the internet, who knows :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

punk_one82 wrote: »

I will be bitterly disappointed if we don't win the league and I'll feel like we have dropped the ball majorly. Chances like this don't come around often and it really is there for the taking.

Yea that's my point. This is potentially the best chance we'll have for a long time. It's very competitive with Chelsea, Man City and a resurgent Manu in the wings. Irrespective of whether the season is considered a success or failure, not to win from this position is going to be very hard to take.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yea it is easy to see your point considering the position we find ourselves in today, and how it might end.

but...

I dont think one person one have turned down finishing top3 at the start of the season if offered, so lets not forget that; along with the fact Suarez (fingers crossed) will hang around now and we can go shopping early knowing we have CL secured.

this season is a unmitigated success. full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

djPSB wrote: »

This is a point i am passionate about tbh. Heard a lot of crap the last week in the media and from some reds alike about how it's a "disaster" or it'll be a "major disappointment" etc.. if we don't win the league this season. For christ sake yes we all want the title but to think we have gone from 7th (7th ffs) to challenging with 3 games to go is fantastic. Add to this the style of play which is very pleasing on the eye (if not on the heart) and win it or not i for one will be a million miles from seeing it as a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Only the club physio knows how he is plus he hasn't played much 90 minutes lately .

It'd be a quiet place if only those qualified to speak on a topic did so. The contrasting reactions to the arrival of Joe Cole & Brendan Rodgers prove that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't have a problem with those quotes. Very professional indeed. I think it's been obvious all year that he had little interest in being at Liverpool, which is fair enough.

So he hasnt played much 90 minutes lately and now after a hamstring injury you believe he can/will play 90 minutes?

FYI the physio at the club can take an educated guess at how long he would/will last but ultimately it will be Sturridge who will know how long he can go.

As a manager it would be naive of Rodgers to start Sturridge and run the risk of further aggravating the injury from the start whereas introducing him into the game after an appropriate warm up and when the game is more open should make it easier for him to manage. I'm Rodgers would prefer to have him 100% available for Palace and Newcastle than just for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Eight Ball wrote: »
    This is a point i am passionate about tbh. Heard a lot of crap the last week in the media and from some reds alike about how it's a "disaster" or it'll be a "major disappointment" etc.. if we don't win the league this season. For christ sake yes we all want the title but to think we have gone from 7th (7th ffs) to challenging with 3 games to go is fantastic. Add to this the style of play which is very pleasing on the eye (if not on the heart) and win it or not i for one will be a million miles from seeing it as a disaster.

Absolutely, the season as a whole has been a success beyond what most of us imagined. However, we're no longer thinking like we were at the start of the season. We are first with 3 games to go. Losing from this position would be a disaster no matter what our initial goals were.

So he hasnt played much 90 minutes lately and now after a hamstring injury you believe he can/will play 90 minutes?

FYI the physio at the club can take an educated guess at how long he would/will last but ultimately it will be Sturridge who will know how long he can go.

As a manager it would be naive of Rodgers to start Sturridge and run the risk of further aggravating the injury from the start whereas introducing him into the game after an appropriate warm up and when the game is more open should make it easier for him to manage. I'm Rodgers would prefer to have him 100% available for Palace and Newcastle than just for Chelsea.

Yeah but it may not be a bad hamstring injury. He could have been ready for Norwich but Rodgers took a calculated guess that we would be strong enough without him and hold him back for Chelsea. My best guess is we will see him start and last 65 or so minutes.

Absolutely, the season as a whole has been a success beyond what most of us imagined. However, we're no longer thinking like we were at the start of the season. We are first with 3 games to go. Losing from this position would be a disaster no matter what our initial goals were.

I look at the season as a whole so we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I wish you were wrong but i do think this will be the case. Given he wasnt even fit for the bench last weekend and no pics of him training with the team this week i say at best we can hope for 20-30 minutes in the second half if we are lucky.

I really think sturridge would be a huge boost if we could get him back for the match though. He wasnt at his best before the injury but his pace along side suarez and sterling is a vital component of we unlock teams. We just got through Norwich but i fear for us breaking down a very tough chelsea team if hes not fit.

:pac:

get a good laugh at the media reports about... 'Jose OK'd to field a weakened side against Liverpool on Sunday'

seems Mourinho has been asking a few favours from his media guys.

dont be fooled.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    :pac:

get a good laugh at the media reports about... 'Jose OK'd to field a weakened side against Liverpool on Sunday'

seems Mourinho has been asking a few favours from his media guys.

dont be fooled.

You'd need the IQ of a peanut to believe Chelsea will field a weak side. They are coming full pelt at us minus the injuries and suspensions have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You'd need the IQ of a peanut to believe Chelsea will field a weak side. They are coming full pelt at us minus the injuries and suspensions have no doubt.

If by full pelt you mean ever more defensive than Real last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with those quotes. Very professional indeed. I think it's been obvious all year that he had little interest in being at Liverpool, which is fair enough.

Why is that fair enough? And if he was being professional then he would f*cking show interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think the Chelsea team will be something like
    ________Schwarzer___________
    Azplicueta___Ivanovic__Cahill__Cole
    _____Mikel____Matic____Lampard__
    Salah_______Ba__________Schurle_

Yeah but it may not be a bad hamstring injury. He could have been ready for Norwich but Rodgers took a calculated guess that we would be strong enough without him and hold him back for Chelsea. My best guess is we will see him start and last 65 or so minutes.

I reckon with the injury and Chelsea's strength being in their attacking midfield area (Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Salah, Schurrle) will see Lucas start to crowd that area out for them.

TBF Suarez will cause enough problems up front on his own

gafferino wrote: »
    Why is that fair enough? And if he was being professional then he would f*cking show interest.

Professionalism is turning up, fulfilling your obligations as per contract and doing a job of reasonable quality. It doesn't account for passion / interest / desire / additional effort. His quote confirmed what I suspected before Christmas and posted here - that he doesn't want to be in Liverpool. He's kept fit nontheless and been an option to wheel off the bench late.

If Moses was truly inspired to be here he may have forced himself into the reckoning more. There were definitely minutes assigned to Aspas / Alberto over the course of the season that could / should have been his.

Professionalism is turning up, fulfilling your obligations as per contract and doing a job of reasonable quality. It doesn't account for passion / interest / desire / additional effort. His quote confirmed what I suspected before Christmas and posted here - that he doesn't want to be in Liverpool. He's kept fit nontheless and been an option to wheel off the bench late.

If Moses was truly inspired to be here he may have forced himself into the reckoning more. There were definitely minutes assigned to Aspas / Alberto over the course of the season that could / should have been his.

he wasn't doing it for free...if the rumours are to be believed we are paying full wages @ close to £100k pw.

MD1990 wrote: »

that is a very good side tbf

Look if we want this title we have to be beating the best.

bring it on!

That's why taking the cheap route and loaning players is a balls. Players dont really care too much. I'd sooner give a decent youngster a shout, at least you know you might get some passion.

Moses has been an awful signing and the sooner he fcuks off the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Weakenend team my h0le :mad:

You'd swear they had to play Don Hutchison at centre forward ffs :mad::mad:

Agueroooo wrote: »
    he wasn't doing it for free...if the rumours are to be believed we are paying full wages @ close to £100k pw.

That's not his fault though is it? 100k a week gets you his services. But when you acquire the services of a guy who doesn't want to live in Liverpool and has his heart set on making it long term at Chelsea it's going to be a waste of time hoping for exceptional performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I wouldn't be shocked if Mourinho fielded a weakened side. Along with the rest of his excuses, he could add being forced to field a weakened side in a title decider to his list of excuses for failing domestically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

From the Guardian's Rumour Mill :D

Liverpool need some new central defenders, don't they. But first, they're going to get rid of the old ones. Daniel Agger is on his way to a reunion with old boss Rafa Benítez at Napoli, while Martin Skrtel is to be used as a girder in the upcoming expansion of the Main Stand at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's why taking the cheap route and loaning players is a balls. Players dont really care too much. I'd sooner give a decent youngster a shout, at least you know you might get some passion.

Moses has been an awful signing and the sooner he fcuks off the better.

And yet you get someone like Borini going out on loan and winning young player of the year at the club he's been sent to (not to mention Wisdom and Ilori putting in great performances).

It's as much to do with the mentality of the player than anything else.

That's not his fault though is it? 100k a week gets you his services. But when you acquire the services of a guy who doesn't want to live in Liverpool and has his heart set on making it long term at Chelsea it's going to be a waste of time hoping for exceptional performance.

If it was me and I was on work experience at another company for example. but really wanted to progress in my parent company I'd be busting my balls in the "work experience company" to make a big impression.

Lol if he thinks he's gonna be making it at Chelsea. He'll be dropping down to a midtable team or below.

To me it looks like it's either one of two things or perhaps both: He's lazy/can't be bothered or he isn't good enough.

• Advertisement

And yet you get someone like Borini going out on loan and winning young player of the year at the club he's been sent to (not to mention Wisdom and Ilori putting in great performances).

It's as much to do with the mentality of the player than anything else.

Yeah true, just made a similar point in my last post just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mourinho is onto Rodgers' tactic; Weakened team = Galvanised team.

Damn that canny bastard.

Rodgers should say we are sending out the Liverpool ladies to face Chelsea's weaked team

Yes that is a part of being professional. The other part is showing interest and finding whatever it is you need to get inspired. Whether thats to impress Rodgers with a view to a permanent move, impressing Mourinho to try and stay at Chelsea, get a move to a decent team or busting his balls off to make sure he is in the best form of his life going into the world cup. Doing a job of reasonable quality does not cut it at this level of football and he knows that - so does Rodgers and Mourinho.

He has looked distinctly uninterested at many times during the season (not all mind you). So he has it in him. Its up to him to be ready and bring it to every match where he plays. He needs to try his best and run himself into the ground for any team he is playing for - thats professionalism in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'd agree with the outfield 10. Reckon Hilario will play as they won't take the chance something will happen to Schwarzer. No way Jose wants to have to start Hilario in a CL semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Benimar wrote: »
    I'd agree with the outfield 10. Reckon Hilario will play as they won't take the chance something will happen to Schwarzer. No way Jose wants to have to start Hilario in a CL semi final.

He isn't going to risk his back 4 either no way, of all things he cant risk another defender. I full expect to see a weakened back 4 and none of the 4 that started the game Tuesday, but there isn't much weak about there midfield whoever they pick. Embarassment of riches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

gafferino wrote: »
    He needs to try his best and run himself into the ground for any team he is playing for - thats professionalism in my opinion.
    I think he does try, he just doesn't look good enough at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Worst thing we can do is assume we can steam roll a weakened Chelsea team.

Not too weak to me. Well capable of getting all 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Aly Cissokho year montage.

Looking at this he really is a "must sign" player for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mourinho will do like he did v atleti and put everyone behind the ball and defend all day, dosent matter who he picks it will still be difficult to break down. I predict it will be a long day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Makes no sense. If he has his heart set on making it long term at Chelsea I would say his effort/performances while out on loan have done his case no favours at all. In contrast look at Borini - he is putting up some kind of fight for his Liverpool future although I ultimately doubt he has the quality to make it.

I think he does try, he just doesn't look good enough at the highest level.

Yeah at times he has looked like he as tried. I wouldnt be overly critical of the player if he didnt have the ability. But he has to use whatever ability he has and get the best out of it. I dont think he has done that for us. Once or twice he has looked decent and tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

klose wrote: »
    Mourinho will do like he did v atleti and put everyone behind the ball and defend all day, dosent matter who he picks it will still be difficult to break down. I predict it will be a long day.

Chelsea have to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chelsea have to win.

Won't stop him tbh. He will have 11 inside the box for 75 minutes to try and kill the atmosphere and then try nick a late goal.

I would take a point and use it as a dress rehearsal for Pulis doing the same in the Palace game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement