Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 Mod Warning Post #6378

Comments

2-0 Napoli, get in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭firemansam4

rob316 wrote: »
    It's a shame that goal difference wasn't a bit tighter it would make for a fascinating last game.

Not going to happen but if somehow we manage to win by a 6-0 scoreline and lets say city only scrape a 1-0 win, it will make that last game interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Nope, and do you know why?

Even if you Accounted for all of those, we were still ahead of City with 3 Games to go. Needing just 7 pts from 9.

Let's not Dance around the White Elephant, the Reason why City is now ahead of us is because of Gerrad's Slip.

If we didn't Win the League this Year, you can look back at that Crucial Moment, since that where we Lost it. Not Southampton, not Kolo Toure, not Silva's Goal, etc.

Seriously!.... One moment doesn't cost a title! If we do win, does Kompanys slip mean that's what cost them, or would it be the 2 defeats to Chelsea, the draw with Sunderland. There are so many variables.

We lose on goal difference then we can point the finger at all those games where mental scorelines were we played you score 3 we score 4,

Or the 2-2 v Villa where Rodgers got it so badly wrong in the first half, or the linesmans decision at the Etihad, or Webbs performance at Stamford Bridge..the list goes on

Over 38 games it is the aggregate of mistakes, bad decisions, bad performances that dictate who wins/loses the title. Who gets the least wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

All the negativity in here is starting to get me down. I know there is only an outside chance that we will win the League now but it is pretty far from over at the same time - despite the general consensus on here.

We are joint-top going into the final week with two matches remaining for each club. Heads up ffs! YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

People will laugh when we only finish second or third.

Second or third!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So assuming city win their last 2 games 1-0 we wouls need to score 11 goals in 2 matches.

Piece of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If City don't score in their next 2 games we could definitely wing it on goal difference...

Wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Grayditch wrote: »
    If City don't score in their next 2 games we could definitely wing it on goal difference...

Wait...

Yeah, if City were to lose both games 1-0 then a 3-0 and 4-0 from us would be enough to win it on goals scored. You never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Vicxas wrote: »
    So assuming city win their last 2 games 1-0 we wouls need to score 11 goals in 2 matches.

Piece of cake.

1 against palace, 11 against Newcastle? Its on!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

1 against palace, 11 against Newcastle? Its on!

That's perfect LoL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Pretty happy to be mocked for finishing second...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

It's been a great season for Liverpool, but I'd have to agree with that poster that said that it must be tinged with disappointment with the way it played out. Finish second due to a great late run of form having never actually really looked like winning the title, then yeah you'd be pleased. Finish second after at one stage being 1/6 to win the title (which Liverpool were after Norwich game), how could you not be slightly disappointed?

And while making progress with a young team etc is great and promises better days ahead, at the same time, I think when the chance is there it needs to be grabbed and who's to say despite the progress being made this season, when the chance will come like this again?
    I don't actually follow any soccer club (doesn't make sense to me to follow a foreign soccer team but that's neither here nor there), I just follow the league generally, but I am a big Galway hurling fan. In 2012 we reached an All Ireland final and were beaten in a replay. It had been a great year but losing a final after being so close is sickening but despite that we were still all positive about 2013 after the progress made in 2012. In 2013 we were nowhere. Knocked out in July. The point being that falling just short despite exceeding expectations is no guarantee that the following year will build on that progress and these chances really need to be grabbed when they present themselves. Ultimately Liverpool, like my beloved Galway have blown their chance and it could be 20 years before such a chance presents itself again. Well actually I speak too soon, Liverpool still have an outside chance but let's be realistic it's very unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

NukaCola wrote: »
    Dont talk rubbish. Titles are not decided in one game.

Like I said in the Post you Quoted, even if you Accounted for all those Losses and Draws we've had before, we we're still ahead of Man City with just 3 Games to go.

It was in our Hands.

So how did Man City got ahead of us?

It's because we Lost to Chelsea. And how did Chelsea beat us? .... Yeah.

Like I said in the Post you Quoted, even if you Accounted for all those Losses and Draws we've had before, we we're still ahead of Man City with just 3 Games to go.

It was in our Hands.

By scoring 10 more goals throughout the season ?

If any one thing costs us the title, it's gotta be the January transfer market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

T-K-O wrote: »
    That game had the best crowd supporters at any game my uncle was at.

The Palace fans chanted 'O lucky lucky, lucky lucky lucky lucky Liverpool'.:D

I always have a soft spot for Palace since. Possibly may change on monday:(

Is there any chance we could send Luis over to Villa park on emergency loan?

5live wrote: »

Did you notice their #11 on the day.... fate I tell ya!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Not winning the league obviously a major dissappoinment
    But in fairness Liverpool have really exceeded expectations this season. To get so close to the title with our squad has been remarkable
    Roll on next season

#mindgames

• Advertisement

People will laugh when we only finish second or third.

Second or third!

Funnily it won't be teams above us laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Yes indeed 5live .

This is what i had posted last October after the Palace game at Anfield ...

" Must say hats off to the Palace fans who gave a standing ovation at half time to the LFC ladies team when they came out with their trophy.
    They were singing for the entire game , even when it was 3-1 , they sang " wer gonna win 4-3 " lol Made for a great atmosphere from their end. The Kop was very subdued i thought all game considering we were 3-0 nil up AND at home :D "

They are great at the banter and their support of their club is second to none.

T-K-O wrote: »
    By scoring 10 more goals throughout the season ?

If any one thing costs us the title, it's gotta be the January transfer market.

Nah.

We only needed 7 pts from 9, in our last 3 Games to Clinch the Title.

It didn't matter, if City scored a Million more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jaysus, we'd really need Newcastle to let us walk around them for 90 mins, and not even try to fight back.

com-abed-realization.gif

Remember Spain 12 Malta 1 ....?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Cafu. ‏@officialcafu
    I am visiting the city of the Scouser on Sunday to see the team against Newcastle - I look forward to the Anfield roar!

Flanagan to score 10 goals.

Nah.

We only needed 7 pts from 9, in our last 3 Games to Clinch the Title.

It didn't matter, if City scored a Million more.

Sure all we had to do was keep winning, easy.

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    Yes indeed 5live .

This is what i had posted last October after the Palace game at Anfield ...

" Must say hats off to the Palace fans who gave a standing ovation at half time to the LFC ladies team when they came out with their trophy.
    They were singing for the entire game , even when it was 3-1 , they sang " wer gonna win 4-3 " lol Made for a great atmosphere from their end. The Kop was very subdued i thought all game considering we were 3-0 nil up AND at home :D "

They are great at the banter and their support of their club is second to none.

Absolutely fantastic lads. A father of a lad my son plays with is a Palace fan and he goes to about half the games every year. An absolute pantomime being near him at a match, chanting and slagging the other parents of both teams.

Even with Pulis, I can't fault them.

Superbus wrote: »
    Flanagan to score 10 goals.

And Moses the other 19.

And Moses the other 19.

Ffs, I forgot about the Moses 19.

In your face City

3-1 Napoli

Delighted for Rafa and Reina

Reina sprinted the whole length of the pitch to celebrate. Now where have we seen that before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Congratulations to Rafa and Reina on the Coppa Italia.

He's some man for winning trophies. Some sh1t game though!

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ffs, I forgot about the Moses 19.

IT'S ON!!!

YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT, IT'S ON!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Congratulations to Rafa and Reina on the Coppa Italia.

He's some man for winning trophies. Some sh1t game though!

First half was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I hate when I loose stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Oh, I don't know why Suarez is leaving,
    Or where he's gonna go,
    I guess he's got his reasons,
    But I just don't want to know,
    'Cos for twenty-four years
    we've been loosing the league to Alex.

Twenty-four years just waiting for a chance,
    We blew it against Jose when Stevie did his dance,
    Now we've got to get used to were no better then Crystal Palace....

Think your forgetting which team is languishing in mid table with palace and which will be mixing it up with the worlds elite next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

It was in our Hands.

It's because we Lost to Chelsea. And how did Chelsea beat us? .... Yeah.

It was in our hands does not equal we should win the league. At the start of the season on zero points it was also in our own hands. You are assuming that we will win our last 2 games which is yet to happen.

You are using false logic. The league title is not a knockout competition. It is an accumulation of games. 3 games to go and needing 7 from 9 is entirely dependent on the 35 games previous.

You can say Gerrard cost us in the Chelsea game but you cannot say it cost the title. One event and one game does not decide titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Last time we won the league we beat palace 9-0 in a evening KO.
    Palace also survived relegation finishing 15th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mid-table drivel

x3140KA.jpg

Last time we won the league we beat palace 9-0 in a evening KO.
    Palace also survived relegation finishing 15th.

We wont beat Palace 9-0

So we get a couple of early goals against Palace, say 2-0 up after 25 mins, What do we do? Make sure to win the game or go on a blitzkrieg the likes has not been seen since the war?

In the unlikely but possible scenario we could hand out a 6/7 nil pasting it'd Definately have an already jittery looking City looking over their shoulder. I don't want to look like a straw clutcher but it's a scenario that our manager is surely thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We wont beat Palace 9-0

Your saying it'll be more? Brave.

• Advertisement

So we get a couple of early goals against Palace, say 2-0 up after 25 mins, What do we do? Make sure to win the game or go on a blitzkrieg the likes has not been seen since the war?

In the unlikely but possible scenario we could hand out a 6/7 nil pasting it'd Definately have an already jittery looking City looking over their shoulder. I don't want to look like a straw clutcher but it's a scenario that our manager is surely thinking about.

Win the game 1-0 and I'll be happy.

We arent going to score ~ 15 goals in 2 games. There's more chance of City dropping points elsewhere.

It was in our hands does not equal we should win the league. At the start of the season on zero points it was also in our own hands. You are assuming that we will win our last 2 games which is yet to happen.

You are using false logic. The league title is not a knockout competition. It is an accumulation of games. 3 games to go and needing 7 from 9 is entirely dependent on the 35 games previous.

You can say Gerrard cost us in the Chelsea game but you cannot say it cost the title. One event and one game does not decide titles.

On the Bolded, did I say otherwise?

If we end up losing the Title on GD, while we were Leading it with just 3 Games to go, you can definitely say that the Chelsea Game, did indeed Cost us the Title.

We'll just Disagree to Agree on this one.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Win the game 1-0 and I'll be happy.

We arent going to score ~ 15 goals in 2 games. There's more chance of City dropping points elsewhere.

What if we're 3-0 up at half time, Should Rodgers tell them to just win the game or tell them to score as many as possible?

I know it's all unlikely but is something I've been discussing with mates during the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a scenario (score as many goals as possible) that is being discussed.

We just can't defend tho. I expect us to ship a goal or 2 over the next two games. We will win, and by a few perhaps, but to overhaul a 9 goal advantage? Hard to do in two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just reminded one more time there: Riise has been so, so dreadful anytime I've seen him this year for Fulham. Very sad to see him fecking around like this when you remember how solid he was for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Palace won't be turned over by multiple goals. Would be delighted with the three points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guardian on Rodgers summer splash in the market and other stuff
    Brendan Rodgers estimates around half a dozen players may be needed to bulk out his Liverpool squad to the required depth for the Champions League but the manager has no immediate concerns about having to buy in creativity.

"I think with 96 goals in the league we are doing OK in that department," he said. "We will need to bring in players over the summer, and the great plus about being in the Champions League is that it makes it easier to attract the top ones, but we have developed a style of football over this past year that is already being recognised."

2 centre halves, 3 centre backs and a full back it is then! :pac:

On the Bolded, did I say otherwise?

If we end up losing the Title on GD, while we were Leading it with just 3 Games to go, you can definitely say that the Chelsea Game, did indeed Cost us the Title.

We'll just Disagree to Agree on this one.

Fair enough.

I'll leave you with this. The league is 38 games. Any game we lost is as significant as the Chelsea game. Any mistake which cost us points is as bad as Gerrards slip. 3 games to go or 30, every game that comes before it has to be taken into account. 7 from 9 would guarantee us a title, but only because of games already won.

The Chelsea game no more cost us the title than any other game in which we dropped points. A win or a draw is always 3/1 point/s no matter who you play, each game is weighted the same.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if it's a scenario (score as many goals as possible) that is being discussed.

We just can't defend tho. I expect us to ship a goal or 2 over the next two games. We will win, and by a few perhaps, but to overhaul a 9 goal advantage? Hard to do in two games.

It'd be a minor miracle to turn over the GD but it's definately something that's being discussed. If we managed to get a great start it I'd be surprised if Rodgers didn't go for it. He'd have my full backing if he did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Palace won't be turned over by multiple goals. Would be delighted with the three points.

But would you be going all out to hammer them. Or 2 nil up and try and close it out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement