Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 Mod Warning Post #6378

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just scenarios I'm putting forward and wondering how they might be dealt with in game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

101001 wrote: »
    But would you be going all out to hammer them. Or 2 nil up and try and close it out?

If you go two or three goals up within 20 minutes and it looks like they don't fancy it you would obviously have to try and keep pushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

@GeoffArsenal: Where are all the gobby Scousers now then eh?

Ahead of ye, cheers geoff. Enjoy the qualifiers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It'd be a minor miracle to turn over the GD but it's definately something that's being discussed. If we managed to get a great start it I'd be surprised if Rodgers didn't go for it. He'd have my full backing if he did!

Insanity.

There is a much higher probability of City dropping points than of us overturning the goal difference. To do anything to jeopardise us just getting the 6 points on the board would be insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Telegraph running with Oscar and or Schürrle and or Hazard risk being sold in the
    summer unless they knuckle down story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10807116/Chelsea-manager-Jose-Mourinho-warns-Oscar-Eden-Hazard-and-Andre-Schurrle-improve-or-leave-the-club.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I can see the players turning against Mourinho there once Terry, Lampard, and Mr T are gone.

Although given history MO he will probably be gone first.

spockety wrote: »
    Insanity.

There is a much higher probability of City dropping points than of us overturning the goal difference. To do anything to jeopardise us just getting the 6 points on the board would be insane.

I'm nothing if not a realist but I think 'insanity' is a bit strong.
    I'm not talking about risking a one or two goal lead with 20 minutes to go, I'm hypothesising a scenario where we're 2/3 up with maybe an hour left against a team who look like they couldn't give a sh1t.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility. I was wondering what approach you'd like the team take in that scenario?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I can see the players turning against Mourinho there once Terry, Lampard, and Mr T are gone.

He doesn't hang around long in jobs. He'll be there another season at least I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Plus you have to factor City potentially seeing us trash Palace and saying to themselves 'better win by large margins in the last 2 games.'

But Suarez hat-trick, Sturridge hat-trick, Sterling hat-trick. Would make for an exciting end of season game. :pac:

Turtyturd wrote: »

He doesn't seem like the same Mourhino that managed Chelsea last time around. As much as I despised him and his club I thought he was great at the same time. He's been despicable at times this season though. Those remarks about Wenger were at best distasteful and was a turning of the tide with his love affair with the media I think. He seems to have bought into his own hype just a bit too much and I don't think he is the manager he was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Plus you have to factor City potentially seeing us trash Palace and saying to themselves 'better win by large margins in the last 2 games.'

But Suarez hat-trick, Sturridge hat-trick, Sterling hat-trick. Would make for an exciting end of season game. :pac:

Skrtel hat-trick will do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

I think it is a testament to Rodger's and how far he has taken the team that we still have an outside chance at the title.

At the start of the season I would have thought Liverpool lucky to qualify for the Champions League, never mind being in with a shout for the league.

Build the squad in the summer, back Rodgers with some proper cash and lets see what Liverpool can do with more than a skeleton squad. Title challenge again next year. Took us 20 some years to find the right owner/manager combination, lets not waste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Funnily it won't be teams above us laughing

excellent post....but we still have a chance...doesn't feel like it right now...but we do.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even at our most free-flowing and goal-laden best (at home against Fulham, Norwich, West Ham etc) we got 4.

Sadly that Hart save and crap Everton defending today has seen the end of any chance we had (imo).

So hard to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

noodler wrote: »
    Even at our most free-flowing and goal-laden best (at home against Fulham, Norwich, West Ham etc) we got 4.

Sadly that Hart save and crap Everton defending today has seen the end of any chance we had (imo).

So hard to take.

If only Alcaraz was more of a rock;)

Its been a fantastic season as it is and if we can manage six points from our remaining games, well then that would just make it epic.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet, City still have tough games remaining and even if we were to lose on goal difference, It would be cruel but it be still a massive achievement.

Pressure on City now.
    Believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I wouldn't worry about the gd, just concentrate, play well and beat them.

The pressure is on City now and they are not gonna find it easy. They look extremely shaky and I wouldn't be surprised if they drop points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I wouldn't worry about the gd, just concentrate, play well and beat them.

The pressure is on City now and they are not gonna find it easy. They look extremely shaky and I wouldn't be surprised if they drop points

I really don't see it.

They're the most all-round talented squad in the league plus they've a couple of crucial game changers.

Added to that, they've done this before.

I thought it was very telling yesterday that they conceded but just kept playing and didn't deviate from the plan at all.

Really can't see them dropping points to teams with nothing to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

gosplan wrote: »

Added to that, they've done this before.

I thought it was very telling yesterday that they conceded but just kept playing and didn't deviate from the plan at all..

This. There was no panic when Everton got a 2nd goal. It remained calm and organised. Even when Everton scored first there was no immediate change of tactic from the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Am I gone blind.. Where's the match thread fellas?

Edit: found it. On phone and wasn't expecting it to be so many pages back. Not like us to be so quiet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Am I gone blind.. Where's the match thread fellas?

Edit: found it. On phone and wasn't expecting it to be so many pages back. Not like us to be so quiet!

Think the wind has been taken out of our sails a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

With the summer looming are there any die hards here that know if there are any young players likely to come through the academy next year and what position do they play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

If you offered me two 1-0 wins now I'd take it. Anyone saying we have a chance of overturning the GD is talking through their hole, similar to Raif and his **** about Gerrard.

Been an absolutely amazing season, totally unexpected from my point of view anyway. And if the premier league has taught us anything, its that huge upsets do happen. Villa, now safe, with the shackles off? A stubborn West Ham doing what Big Sam does best. Who the **** knows, but just win our two games and lets see where it takes us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Let's get 3 pts tomorrow means City have to win again and again. Nothing is won or lost yet. Keep challenging. If we come up short it's 2nd...remember that, 2nd after 4 seasons of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

City will beat both Villa and West Ham, who have nothing to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Grayditch wrote: »
    City will beat both Villa and West Ham, who have nothing to play for.

You can always hope that Caroll and Downing will do you a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Bowlardo wrote: »
    With the summer looming are there any die hards here that know if there are any young players likely to come through the academy next year and what position do they play?

Hard to know, Ibe may go on loan again , It also depends on injuries in the first team. Imo, the 2 most talented are Rossiter and Wilson but they are about 2 more years away but they will play for the first team.

Reading this post from Kirby in the premier league bold predictions thread put perspective on the season for me regardless where we finish.

I know a bunch of Liverpool fans and none of them think they will get 4th so that's a bit unfair. I don't even think there are any in the thread that think that either. Arsenal and Spurs have better teams. They know this. Challenging for 4th instead of 7th is what they want. Progress. Signing a top class player like Willian. Being in the race for a Champions league spot after February.

Yeah, I really don't get this "You were all thinking yous were gonna win the league, and yous were unbearable, serves you right".
    Any fan I know personally, it was like "the thing that shall not be mentioned", and on here it was "jinx it and we'll kill you". It was always other fans saying it was Liverpool's and Liverpool fans saying, ah I dunno... in my experience.

Amazing how some people I know justified (or were softening the blow of ) Liverpool winning it with, "ah yous played the best football and did it on a tighter budget, yous deserve it" to "AAAAAHAHHHHHAHAHAH SICKNER, so glad City are gonna get it" in one slip. At least the honesty came out, I much prefer that! Football is entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Reading this post from Kirby in the premier league bold predictions thread put perspective on the season for me regardless where we finish.

Pretty much how I felt at the start of the season but the closer you get to something,the more you want it.

Still tho,I won't be too disappointed if we don't win it. So looking forward to Champions League nights next season. The last time we were in it I was living in a mobile home while renovating my house I'd just bought and watching the games on a tiny portable tv in a 10' x 8' bedroom. Next season I'll have comfort,warmth and plenty of space for pacing the floor like a lunatic :D

Can't. Bloody. Wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

What if we're 3-0 up at half time, Should Rodgers tell them to just win the game or tell them to score as many as possible?

I know it's all unlikely but is something I've been discussing with mates during the week.

Take your points, the goals will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Yeah, I really don't get this "You were all thinking yous were gonna win the league, and yous were unbearable, serves you right".
    Any fan I know personally, it was like "the thing that shall not be mentioned", and on here it was "jinx it and we'll kill you". It was always other fans saying it was Liverpool's and Liverpool fans saying, ah I dunno... in my experience.

Amazing how some people I know justified (or were softening the blow of ) Liverpool winning it with, "ah yous played the best football and did it on a tighter budget, yous deserve it" to "AAAAAHAHHHHHAHAHAH SICKNER, so glad City are gonna get it" in one slip. At least the honesty came out, I much prefer that! Football is entertainment.

We used to talk about 'when we win the League a bit.' But we were taking the pish.

The problem is, we pull the pish out of ourselves a lot in here which the lurkers confuse with serious conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

djPSB wrote: »
    We used to talk about 'when we win the League a bit.' But we were taking the pish.

The problem is, we pull the pish out of ourselves a lot in here which the lurkers confuse with serious conversation.

When it suits them.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I read a good point about Lallana and how he turns 26 soon.
    He has been immense for the past 18 months and I really rate him, but the point was (which has me concerned) is where was he before that?

also on yesterdays game. .

the Goodison crowd was just beyond weird yesterday, and reports of a fight when a few fans cheered when Dzeko scored his second.
    I cant fault the players, but if Arsenal mess up there will be a few embarrassed fans.

djPSB wrote: »

That's gotta be what it is, honestly. On here at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

How does a Aston Villa side stop Man City on Wednesday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I read a good point about Lallana and how he turns 26 soon.
    He has been immense for the past 18 months and I really rate him, but the point was (which has me concerned) is where was he before that?

also on yesterdays game. .

the Goodison crowd was just beyond weird yesterday, and reports of a fight when a few fans cheered when Dzeko scored his second.
    I cant fault the players, but if Arsenal mess up there will be a few embarrassed fans.

The loadest cheer was for Lukakus goal without a doubt, nothing to be embarresed about that's just internet crap.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

TrueIt wrote: »

They don't, its over, forget it.

Get yourself working out and in preparation for the 'Liverpool Thread Summer Transfer Window' main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    They don't, its over, forget it.

Get yourself working out and in preparation for the 'Liverpool Thread Summer Transfer Window' main event.

That is exactly what I needed to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

careca wrote: »
    If you offered me two 1-0 wins now I'd take it. Anyone saying we have a chance of overturning the GD is talking through their hole, similar to Raif and his **** about Gerrard.

Been an absolutely amazing season, totally unexpected from my point of view anyway. And if the premier league has taught us anything, its that huge upsets do happen. Villa, now safe, with the shackles off? A stubborn West Ham doing what Big Sam does best. Who the **** knows, but just win our two games and lets see where it takes us.

What?

Like I explaind to Nukacola, that inspite of Kolo's Mistake, Draws, Losses we've had before, we were still ahead of Man City.

Gerrard's Slip, Unlucky as it was, gave Chelsea the Win, and allowed Man City to Leapfrog us. It's Unfortunate, but that's Football for you. Sometimes you get the Breaks, and sometimes you don't.

I'm not going to Fault any of our Players for how this Season will pan out. Simply, because they gave us a Magical Season already. It may fall short of the Title, but it's still a Season that Exceeded beyond, even my Wildest Expectations.

I was just simply stating how Crucial our Loss to Chelsea was. And IMO, the Game that will end up Costing us the Title. You may not Agree with it, but it's certainly not me Talking **** about Gerrard.

TrueIt wrote: »

They literally don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

For me it was more Gerrard crying after the city game like he had just won the league and also sterling (may have been coutinho, not sure) jumping around with a flag wrapped round him that made me think these players are getting ahead of themselves, of course, the city win was massive but it really looked over the top. That said I don't trust city to win these two games easily because they have been far from consistent all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They literally don't.

Yep,

Its over lads. We had a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'm a huge pessimist and never thought anything. I'd still be weary even if they had actually won. I don't know any fans who have been thinking t was wrapped up. Liverpool just cannot be counted on.

City will win their games and win on goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I absolutely won't have a problem with City winning the league but I'd say they're hoping to do it by more than goal difference. Not that there's anything wrong with it (obv I would not be complaining if the roles were reversed) but I'd say the players want to do it differently from 2012.

What?

Like I explaind to Nukacola, that inspite of Kolo's Mistake, Draws, Losses we've had before, we were still ahead of Man City.

Gerrard's Slip, Unlucky as it was, gave Chelsea the Win, and allowed Man City to Leapfrog us. It's Unfortunate, but that's Football for you. Sometimes you get the Breaks, and sometimes you don't.

I'm not going to Fault any of our Players for how this Season will pan out. Simply, because they gave us a Magical Season already. It may fall short of the Title, but it's still a Season that Exceeded beyond, even my Wildest Expectations.

I was just simply stating how Crucial our Loss to Chelsea was. And IMO, the Game that will end up Costing us the Title. You may not Agree with it, but it's certainly not me Talking **** about Gerrard.

You're assuming we would have drawn or won that game v Chelsea if Gerrard hadn't made that mistake.

You're assuming we would win both Palace and Newcastle games or draw one and win one (depending on the assumed Chelsea result)

You're also forgetting the other 20 points we dropped in the season.

No mention of Gerrard being moved to DM that coincided with a 14/15 match unbeaten run including an 11 match winning run. A huge factor in that run.

Your argument has more holes than swiss cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its actually ridiculous how close we and city are, theyve conceded 9 goals less and thats all, same wins, draws, losses and goals scored as it stands

305659.jpg

Bloody hell lads the defeatist attitude in here is depressing. Nothing is won or lost! 180 mins of football to be played by 3 teams between now and 5pm next Sunday so why give up! We could have beaten Chelsea last week but we could then just as easily lost against Palace.

We say Villa and West Ham have nothing to play for well neither do Palace and Newcastle but we're wary of Palace. It's a big ask yes overturning the goal difference is most likely not going to happen, but get 3 points tomorrow and see what City do against Villa. If we don't win we don't win but no point giving up when all 3 of the teams at the top can win!

We can write the post mortem next week once the season is done!

klose wrote: »
    Its actually ridiculous how close we and city are, theyve conceded 9 goals less and thats all, same wins, draws, losses and goals scored as it stands

305659.jpg

When you see it like that, it's mad.

Right, lets blame someone for those 9 goals!

When you see it like that, it's mad.

Right, lets blame someone for those 9 goals!

4-3, 3-5, 3-6... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If we don't win the league this year it's because our defence has been caught out too easily, too often, especially at set pieces. Let's not try single out one player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement