Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 Mod Warning Post #6378

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Pretty much how I felt at the start of the season but the closer you get to something,the more you want it.

Still tho,I won't be too disappointed if we don't win it. So looking forward to Champions League nights next season. The last time we were in it I was living in a mobile home while renovating my house I'd just bought and watching the games on a tiny portable tv in a 10' x 8' bedroom. Next season I'll have comfort,warmth and plenty of space for pacing the floor like a lunatic :D

Can't. Bloody. Wait.

and a sofa :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You're assuming we would have drawn or won that game v Chelsea if Gerrard hadn't made that mistake.

You're assuming we would win both Palace and Newcastle games or draw one and win one (depending on the assumed Chelsea result)

You're also forgetting the other 20 points we dropped in the season.

No mention of Gerrard being moved to DM that coincided with a 14/15 match unbeaten run including an 11 match winning run. A huge factor in that run.

Your argument has more holes than swiss cheese.

When it comes to goal difference, everything made the difference.

But I get Raif's point about Gerard's slip being the final decisive act.

But City still have to win their games.

Also Sakho had a great chance to put pool ahead in that game IIRC.

That would have been bigger in terms of the final result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

You're assuming we would have drawn or won that game v Chelsea if Gerrard hadn't made that mistake.

You're assuming we would win both Palace and Newcastle games or draw one and win one (depending on the assumed Chelsea result)

You're also forgetting the other 20 points we dropped in the season.

No mention of Gerrard being moved to DM that coincided with a 14/15 match unbeaten run including an 11 match winning run. A huge factor in that run.

Your argument has more holes than swiss cheese.

1. We would have Drawn with Chelsea. They weren't even Interested in Attacking us. We Gifted them the Goal.

2. Well, if we Lose/Draw both, then its a Moot Point.

3. Did I forget this one? Go read again. Like I said, we were still ahead of Man City, in spite of those.

4. I didn't mention it, because why would I? I have no Problems with Gerrard being DM, he's been Good at it.

5. Your Answers aren't better either.

You all think I have an Axe to Grind out against Gerrard, when that's not what I'm saying.

All I'm saying is that his Unfortunate Slip, allowed Chelsea to Beat us. Which no one here can Doubt. And because of that Loss, we handled the Lead back to Man City. Which is all True. So I'm not even sure, why we're even Arguing about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

If people try to pinpoint the blame on one person or one event they'll drive themselves mad tbh as there is loads to chose from but its the wrong thing to be doing really anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, I really don't get this "You were all thinking yous were gonna win the league, and yous were unbearable, serves you right".
    Any fan I know personally, it was like "the thing that shall not be mentioned", and on here it was "jinx it and we'll kill you". It was always other fans saying it was Liverpool's and Liverpool fans saying, ah I dunno... in my experience.

Amazing how some people I know justified (or were softening the blow of ) Liverpool winning it with, "ah yous played the best football and did it on a tighter budget, yous deserve it" to "AAAAAHAHHHHHAHAHAH SICKNER, so glad City are gonna get it" in one slip. At least the honesty came out, I much prefer that! Football is entertainment.

This absolutely nails it for me, the amount of bull**** I've had to listen to from people who really didn't want Liverpool to win the league.

I work with a guy who every day says to me, you deserve it, played the best football, "hope they do it". Overheard him the other day saying that he would absolutely hate if Liverpool won it. He's a man u fan.

Nothing was ever won or lost with any Liverpool fan I spoke to, people are so full of **** sometimes.

Also, after the city game, the Hillsborough anniversary played a big part in the emotion afterwards. Gerrard knew nothing was won at that stage as evidenced by his speech.

What also amazes me is how vocal Man U fans became after the Gerrard slip. He might have slipped but none of their players tried a leg for them all season, should be hanging their heads in shame and shutting to frack up.

Disappointment really coming out now, sorry.

Suso got sent out again, with another Red Card.

It's another one of his Trademark Stupid Tackle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Whatever happens over the next week, it's great to be in a position where we are in the f*cking mix for top spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Bloody hell lads the defeatist attitude in here is depressing. Nothing is won or lost! 180 mins of football to be played by 3 teams between now and 5pm next Sunday so why give up! We could have beaten Chelsea last week but we could then just as easily lost against Palace.

We say Villa and West Ham have nothing to play for well neither do Palace and Newcastle but we're wary of Palace. It's a big ask yes overturning the goal difference is most likely not going to happen, but get 3 points tomorrow and see what City do against Villa. If we don't win we don't win but no point giving up when all 3 of the teams at the top can win!

We can write the post mortem next week once the season is done!

That's exactly my take on it too Devilman . Hate to say it lol but football IS a very funny ol game . You just never know . If on Sunday we haven't won it ,well then fair enough . What a season it has been for us .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

One more thing before I exit rant mode, look back through the history of the premiership. Whatever a team had won it, in its new version for the first time, they have always gone really close the previous year. If we don't do it this year, to say it's our best chance is horse ****, strengthen in the right areas over the summer, adapt defensively and we'll be there again next year.

Believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suso got sent out again, with another Red Card.

It's another one of his Trademark Stupid Tackle.

Are you watching, if so where was he playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

While a season is over 38 games, it is human nature to focus on certain results, or moments, and even more human nature to focus on the most recent ones. So, Gerrard's slip against Chelsea, giving them a goal in the 3rd last game of the season, is always going to get a lot of focus, especially as it's Gerrard.

Look at it another way. Aguero is considered a hero for scoring the injury time winner that 'won City the league' back in 2012. No-one considers Dzeko a hero that won them the league when he scored the only goal in a 0-1 win away to Wigan in January of the same season. But both wins were worth the same 3 points. Rightly or wrongly, It's the most recent 'moment' that gets the focus, just like it will be if another 'moment' happens (like Carroll getting a winner on the 11th maybe? ;) ).

All that aside my delight at this season is definitely tempered at the moment by how close we've got, to only, probably, miss out. We've come second twice before in recent years (in 02 and 09) and the following year dropped off again (5th in 03, 7th in 10) instead of pushing on. I really really don't want this season to be another false dawn.

So, for now, let's hope the team does its best, get 6 points, guarantees 2nd, keep some pressure on City, and for god's sake, build on this next season!

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Stargate wrote: »
    and a sofa :D

Even better than a sofa;a bed. I like my comfort.

mike65 wrote: »
    Are you watching, if so where was he playing?

I almost forgot about this Game.

I just turned on when they've Scored and then a few minutes later Suso got sent off. So I'm not sure what Position he was playing, but probably on Wing. Since the Tackle he made was High-up in the Opposition's Half.

I can PM you the Link, if you want. But then again, why would you want to watch an Almeria down to 10 Men. :D

Oh boy Almeria are now losing, I'd say Suso has just made sure they go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We were going great until the saps got too cocky and tried some sort of multiple chain jinx that may have in the end been aimed at the team. They created the weapon that became to powerful for their sappy hands to control.

I recorded that Everton game yesterday and was delighted when Barkley scored but couldn't watch the game at all, it was killing. When Augero scored I just fast forwarded it and was bitterly disappointed when I saw the score by half time, as I was hoping Everton could turn it around.
    Got my hopes up in the second half only to be crushed again. I'm glad I didnt watch it live.
    It's not over yet, anything can happen in these last few games and City have to play a lot of games over the next while too. Their squad can handle it but I'm not too sure that the likes of Garcia are great options.
    Aguero went off injured and did Toure as well? Will they be missing the next couple of games?

• Advertisement

For me, and I take no delight in City or Liverpool winning, there was a lack of respect from certain Liverpool fans, who seemed to take delight in slagging off others who they were now 'better than'.

All that said, there are obviously a vast majority of Liverpool fans who stick to this thread and don't really care about other teams.

Maybe it's just cause you're so widely supported you get more of the lowest common denominator?

It's not really just consigned to boards or anything either. There's a few who just wanted to compare Liverpool to your team and point out how sh1t you were doing in comparison.

I think this crowing is what put some people off the idea of a Liverpool title.

And just before everyone goes mad at me in here, this applies to pretty much no-one posting in here right now.

But I think it's cause Liverpool haven't been up there for a few years. If it does slip away (no pun intended), I'd expect these Liverpool fans to just get on board with a title campaign next year rather than focus on the fact you're finishing above Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Edit: and though I'm not including him in the fans I've spoken about, I still say it was all Ageuroooo's fault. If there was ever a jinx, that's one right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Best attacking football in Europe IMO
    Most goals scored
    Suarez could yet break pl scoring record
    Suarez player of the year
    Sturridge outstanding
    The rise of sterling
    John Flanagan
    Jordan Henderson
    Beat united,city,arsenal,spurs and Everton at home
    Smashed arsenal, spurs and Everton at home
    Smashed united and spurs away
    11 game winning streak
    Unbeaten for almost 4 months
    Return to champions league football
    A great young manager in Rodgers

The list goes on, so much great things about this season which for me make it the most enjoyable league season in 20 years.

It came out of the blue and it looks like we will have pushed city and Chelsea all the way. Liverpool is back, renewed hope again. The giant has awoken we are much better run club now than under houlliher or Benitez. We will push on next season we have some fantastic young players and a really astute manager.

gosplan wrote: »
    For me, and I take no delight in City or Liverpool winning, there was a lack of respect from certain Liverpool fans, who seemed to take delight in slagging off others who they were now 'better than'.

All that said, there are obviously a vast majority of Liverpool fans who stick to this thread and don't really care about other teams.

Maybe it's just cause you're so widely supported you get more of the lowest common denominator?

It's not really just consigned to boards or anything either. There's a few who just wanted to compare Liverpool to your team and point out how sh1t you were doing in comparison.

I think this crowing is what put some people off the idea of a Liverpool title.

And just before everyone goes mad at me in here, this applies to pretty much no-one posting in here right now.

But I think it's cause Liverpool haven't been up there for a few years. If it does slip away (no pun intended), I'd expect these Liverpool fans to just get on board with a title campaign next year rather than focus on the fact you're finishing above Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Edit: and though I'm not including him in the fans I've spoken about, I still say it was all Ageuroooo's fault. If there was ever a jinx, that's one right there.

Everything you said there can be applied to every fan base

Oh boy Almeria are now losing, I'd say Suso has just made sure they go down.

The old reverse jinx strikes again!

Almeria Won. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

If don't win the title after winning 13 of our last 14 games this season we can have no complaints, the team gave it their all :) I still feel City will "slip" up, somehow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GTFO with this sh*t rarnes, there has never been anything like that said by a non Liverpool supporter. It so doesn't happen that I created an internet forum discussion in my head about Arsenal fans revelling in Liverpool's struggles next season when Suarez leaves this summer.

The old reverse jinx strikes again!

Good to see you busting it out for the important games Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If we can beat palace 3-0 I'd be happy because we have Newcastle the last game. It will be a cricket score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I'll be disgusted if the team don't win by at least 5/6 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

aramush wrote: »
    If don't win the title after winning 13 of our last 14 games this season we can have no complaints, the team gave it their all :) I still feel City will "slip" up, somehow!

Yet in spite of that winning streak, which included victories over arsenal, man u and man city, you have clowns claiming we've crumbled under the pressure due to last Sunday. Not to mention the tight results that we grinded out.

If we could inflict a heavy defeat on palace tomorrow night it would put huge pressure on city against villa. If there was ever a team ripe for a record defeat it's this Newcastle team, really really poor outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Palace aren't ****e, though.

Palace aren't ****e, though.

Agreed but we have beaten plenty of better teams well this season. No reason we can't do it here, we are the top scorers with best away form in the league.

Yeah, you're right. Apart from the bit about Liverpool just having more fans, and in turn more of these fans.

City for example have no-one in here to annoy people.

But you are right, the same reason so many fans were happy to see Utd taken down a peg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Lads, we have to win the game first. Their last home game of the season, and under lights. They will be up for it. A 2-0 win will do for me. Granted IF we are 2 or 3 up, or they get a player sent off, then go for it. But away, against a well organised Pulis outfit, wont be easy

For us to win the League, Villa or West Ham have to take points of City.

Id rather we bring it to the last day, than go gung ho against Palace and get a draw or defeat

Turtyturd wrote: »
    GTFO with this sh*t rarnes, there has never been anything like that said by a non Liverpool supporter. It so doesn't happen that I created an internet forum discussion in my head about Arsenal fans revelling in Liverpool's struggles next season when Suarez leaves this summer.

Where's that?

Btw: the only person associated with the club to show any lack of class or graciousness this year was John Henry

What?

Like I explaind to Nukacola, that inspite of Kolo's Mistake, Draws, Losses we've had before, we were still ahead of Man City.

Gerrard's Slip, Unlucky as it was, gave Chelsea the Win, and allowed Man City to Leapfrog us. It's Unfortunate, but that's Football for you. Sometimes you get the Breaks, and sometimes you don't.

I'm not going to Fault any of our Players for how this Season will pan out. Simply, because they gave us a Magical Season already. It may fall short of the Title, but it's still a Season that Exceeded beyond, even my Wildest Expectations.

I was just simply stating how Crucial our Loss to Chelsea was. And IMO, the Game that will end up Costing us the Title. You may not Agree with it, but it's certainly not me Talking **** about Gerrard.

The one that really sickens me is away to City. We deserved something out of that game, and the linesman who had Sterling offside when he was well onside was ridiculous.

Errors happen from players, some of our goals were the results of errors/flukes, but the real obvious ones from officials are the hardest to swallow.

Against Hull, Chelsea (away) and Southampton we werent good enough. Chelsea were by far the better team, even if Etoo fouled Luis. Chelsea at home was just one of those games, Arsenal away, maybe we deserved a draw.

The one that really sickens me is away to City. We deserved something out of that game, and the linesman who had Sterling offside when he was well onside was ridiculous.

Errors happen from players, some of our goals were the results of errors/flukes, but the real obvious ones from officials are the hardest to swallow.

Against Hull, Chelsea (away) and Southampton we werent good enough. Chelsea were by far the better team, even if Etoo fouled Luis. Chelsea at home was just one of those games, Arsenal away, maybe we deserved a draw.

Yeah and it so does not even itself out.

Chelsea way ahead on decisions this year, despite Mourinho's constant claim that all the refs pick on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ah lads **** it we may not win the EPL but we won the hearts and minds of opposition supporters across the land with our flowing, fabulous football and goals galore. Everybody wanted us to win it. We are the People's Team. The love and respect for LFC means more than any possible trophy.

Haaaaa.....****ing ****ers despise us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

gosplan wrote: »
    Where's that?

Btw: the only person associated with the club to show any lack of class or graciousness this year was John Henry
    Oh, ok, right.

The whole £40million +£1 was really class.

Like £1 more?

I suppose you consider the £1 bid a hundred times more classy than the 1p bid that 'would' have triggered the clause also?

Are you serious?

Pffft..

I agree to a certain extent but that decision was early on in the game there is no guarantee we could of still went on and got something out of it.
    You can blame officials if the wrong decision is made at the end of the game otherwise you just take it on the chin and keep going IMO.

A good example is suarez disallowed goal in the last minute at Goodison last season, that was robbery. If that was this season it would be fair to point at that.

We have had our fair share of decisions and luck this season let's be honest.

One decision that irked me this season was eto not seen red for his leg breaker on Henderson. The ref gave a free so obviously saw the extent of the tackle but ultimately bottled it. That was a scandalous call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've no problem with that bid, why even spend a pound more than you have to, to break a clause? But in essence, there was a bang of "cheeky bid" off it, so getting a cheeky response is hilarious to cite as lack of class. I wasn't mad about Henry's response, as it's sort of unprofessional, but, I don't think I'd start saying it was classless or ungracious.

What the hell is the obsession with being "classy". My god. I'm wondering if everyone obsessed with football being classy is as classy as they'd like to think, themselves.

Mourinho's insult to Wenger lacked class, Ok, but Henry's "What are they smoking over at the Emirates" Ah here. Class and graciousness. I hear Swan Lake is coming back to Ireland.

rob316 wrote: »
    I agree to a certain extent but that decision was early on in the game there is no guarantee we could of still went on and got something out of it.
    You can blame officials if the wrong decision is made at the end of the game otherwise you just take it on the chin and keep going IMO.

A good example is suarez disallowed goal in the last minute at Goodison last season, that was robbery. If that was this season it would be fair to point at that.

We have had our fair share of decisions and luck this season let's be honest.

I kind of agree, the Cissohko shot v Stoke was the most obvious. We played poor against Hull away, but 2 of their goals were horrible deflections. Against City we were arguably the better team. Negredo scored from a Mignolet error. City never dominated that game, so the officials decision had a real impact on the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I've no problem with that bid, why even spend a pound more than you have to, to break a clause? But in essence, there was a bang of "cheeky bid" off it, so getting a cheeky response is hilarious to cite as lack of class. I wasn't mad about Henry's response, as it's sort of unprofessional, but, I don't think I'd start saying it was classless or ungracious.

What the hell is the obsession with being "classy". My god. I'm wondering if everyone obsessed with football being classy is as classy as they'd like to think, themselves.

Mourinho's insult to Wenger lacked class, Ok, but Henry's "What are they smoking over at the Emirates" Ah here. Class and graciousness. I hear Swan Lake is coming back to Ireland.
    they're absolutely not.

5live wrote: »
    Oh, ok, right.

The whole £40million +£1 was really class.

Like £1 more?

I suppose you consider the £1 bid a hundred times more classy than the 1p bid that 'would' have triggered the clause also?

Are you serious?

Pffft..

No, I consider the £1 to be an ill thought out and ultimately provocative gesture. Not sure if Wenger was being cheap or cheeky but it did Arsenal no favours.

Does that somehow absolve others though?

Nice though. I make a negative comment, so your comeback is to have a go at my team, tell me my (incorrect opinion) if the situation and then ask me am I serious about the opinion you just gave me.

Nice mature well thought out debating style.

My issue with Henry, if you're interested, is in the needless crowing about his actions a few weeks back. It was all a bit smug and self congratulatory.

If they had bid say 45m it might have been taken more seriously and less provocative.

The fact they bid 40m plus £1 was a direct admission that they knew confidential details of his contract and there was evidence of tapping up. Henry doesn't strike me as someone who likes been made a fool of so he was never going to let the deal happen.

rob316 wrote: »
    If they had bid say 45m it might have been taken more seriously and less provocative.

The fact they bid 40m plus £1 was a direct admission that they knew confidential details of his contract and there was evidence of tapping up. Henry doesn't strike me as someone who likes been made a fool of so he was never going to let the deal happen.

I think he would have for the right price obviously.

Te initial tweet was rather astute though. He basically set the asking price at 50 million plus without doing anything much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

so how much money would you say we have to spend this summer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

ricero wrote: »

I'd be happy with enough to sign two instant first teamers, so I'd say 40/50m? That doesn't include players sold.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The first signing I want to hear about is Brendan Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ricero wrote: »

about three fiddy.

it shouldnt be about how much we need to spend but targeting the right players we need for the right positions.
    the players signed need to have a bigger impact than last summers. Apart from Mignolet the others really haven't shone that much - Sakho has a bit.

Gonna be tough no matter how much we have. Players have decided they don't want CL football, United have the Bundesliga on pre contracts, Arsenal might find their ATM card, and then there will be City and Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    about three fiddy.

it shouldnt be about how much we need to spend but targeting the right players we need for the right positions.
    the players signed need to have a bigger impact than last summers. Apart from Mignolet the others really haven't shone that much - Sakho has a bit.

well that is true which makes the job rodgers had done seem even more incredible how he upped so many players games in a short period of time. anyway id love to see kono, lallana and shaqiri and then add steal to the defense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Gonna be tough no matter how much we have. Players have decided they don't want CL football, United have the Bundesliga on pre contracts, Arsenal might find their ATM card, and then there will be City and Chelsea.

No need to think about arsenal spending big, we'll spend 50m max on 3 or so players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement