Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army / Drug Screenings

Options
  • 31-03-2014 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I want to join the Army but there may still be a few stray chemicals still floating around in the system so I'm wondering, does anybody know when a Recruit is likely to get their first screening? / Is there a drugs test upon application?

Obviously since hearing about the recruitment I've abstained from any such "indulgences" and am completely committed to upholding such an abstinence if I get in, the Army's no place for spliffs like.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

For the drug test, having sat through a few briefings on it, my understanding is that it CAN take up to six months for the trace elements to reach a low enough level to pass, but that is purely depending on what illegal substances you were consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Morpheus wrote: »
    For the drug test, having sat through a few briefings on it, my understanding is that it CAN take up to six months for the trace elements to reach a low enough level to pass, but that is purely depending on what illegal substances you were consuming.

Was this the red pill or the blue pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Its probably a standard urine test, so google it, it should give you the timeframe for each drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

So how does the PDF treat those who have tested positive?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EncinoMan

isn't it possible to do voluntary drug tests yourself with an outside agency? I've heard of people doing this before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Serving members or potential recruits?

if its the former there's a program in place, if its the latter, ive no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

It depends how frequent you use such drugs as well. Cannabis for example will be in your system for around two months if you were taking it on a daily basis, if you only took it the odd time (less than 4 times a month) it might be there for two weeks. It also depends on how much you use each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

tac foley wrote: »
    So how does the PDF treat those who have tested positive?

tac

Failure of compulsary random drug testing (or failure/refusal to provide a sample) results in dismissal, but you can appeal and have the "B" sample tested at your own expense. After a change in regulations there is now a mechanism where anyone who succeeds in their appeal, or falls under suspicion for any other reason, can agree to be under observation for a prolonged period (up to 18 months AFAIR). During this period they would be subject to drug testing the same way as Athletes etc, in that they must be available for testing at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thank you, Sir. Much the same as in the British Armed Forces then.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gincy

If going under observation's an option I wouldn't have a problem with it so I guess that's alright.

• Advertisement

gincy wrote: »
    If going under observation's an option I wouldn't have a problem with it so I guess that's alright.

Somehow I doubt it would be an option if you showed a dodgy result in the medical. Any flags would lead to a fail and that's the end of it

tac foley wrote: »
    Thank you, Sir. Much the same as in the British Armed Forces then.

tac

Bye the way don't call me Sir! I work for a ......etc, etc:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

You will under no circumstances be given the option for observation after a positive result on the entrance medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

You will under no circumstances be given the option for observation after a positive result on the entrance medical.

That. Not a hope you will be allowed! Positive test = instant Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

OP i recently heard of a fella that was in recruits with me that got the sack for having substances in his blood, was fcukin delighted when i heard he was an arsehole anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

was in Amsterdam with a few lads a couple of years ago and a serving PDF member would not indulge in the local herb even though it was legal there for fear of random blood testing

earlytobed wrote: »
    was in Amsterdam with a few lads a couple of years ago and a serving PDF member would not indulge in the local herb even though it was legal there for fear of random blood testing

That would be because it doesn't matter if it's legal in Amsterdam, it's forbidden for a member of the DF to partake of certain substances, no matter where. If being legal in the country where you are is the deciding factor then the Lads who were in Somalia could have been off their faces on Qhat, obviously not a good idea

Advertisement