Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Ave ( or should that be Champions' Ave ) Dublin 1

Options
  • 31-03-2014 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys
    In the course of my work I had to visit Larkin College in Champions' Ave . ( next to the Cleary's Car Park )

I got chatting to the caretaker , I mentioned that I loved the name of the road . He told me it was called Champions' Ave because when that area was tenaments 3 boxing champions came from that same area , and when the tenaments were demolished it was decided to call the road Champions' Ave in their honour.

Does anyone know any more details , ie who these chaps were , and what did they win ?

Thanks ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some of them are the McCormack Brothers (including Spike, but I think they all boxed- one of them works in the college), John 'Blinky' Gifford and 'Blackman' Doyle.

There's a bit about Blinky Gifford on page 11 of this pdf. There are Giffords still on the avenue. I don't know if they are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Great stuff , thanks .......

Love things like that .......

Advertisement