Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw - March 31th

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Never been as underwhelmed going into a Mania as I am now. Will post more about that over in the Mania thread.

Only thing to really note is....the HHH segment and video package where he ran down people. I get he's acting like a douche and trying to rile up the IWC. But I can't help but feel he just went a bit too nasty and I felt a tad uncomfortable during the segment for some reason. I guess I don't like him so fair enough, he's "doing his job as a heel".

But running Goldberg down cause he had a "fake" streak....while trying to push Taker's on the same show? Running down people for catchphrases...while basing your entire promo on how you are "The Game". And I didn't feel this was being done in a hypocritical way deliberately. It was just venting on people you don't like for stupid reasons.

Meh. As I said, I want to see him beat which is the point I guess, and its the only match on the card with any legit heat or drawing power imo. Whatever. Didn't like it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Bryan's promo on Backstage Pass was pretty good. He called himself a pro wrestler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Never been as underwhelmed going into a Mania as I am now. Will post more about that over in the Mania thread.

Only thing to really note is....the HHH segment and video package where he ran down people. I get he's acting like a douche and trying to rile up the IWC. But I can't help but feel he just went a bit too nasty and I felt a tad uncomfortable during the segment for some reason. I guess I don't like him so fair enough, he's "doing his job as a heel".

But running Goldberg down cause he had a "fake" streak....while trying to push Taker's on the same show? Running down people for catchphrases...while basing your entire promo on how you are "The Game". And I didn't feel this was being done in a hypocritical way deliberately. It was just venting on people you don't like for stupid reasons.

Meh. As I said, I want to see him beat which is the point I guess, and its the only match on the card with any legit heat or drawing power imo. Whatever. Didn't like it though.

That's hilarious, havent seen Raw yet but really? a fake streak? what cos Taker legit beat all those guys? that's just insulting your audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

krudler wrote: »
    That's hilarious, havent seen Raw yet but really? a fake streak? what cos Taker legit beat all those guys? that's just insulting your audience.

I think that was the point though; it was Hunter launching a direct attack on "the internet darlings", running down everyone he's ever "buried", in a bid to get heel heat with the IWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Best part of the show was seeing about 10 seconds of Kurt Angle footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Surprised Steiner made it into the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Least we know that what the AJ in AJ Lee stands for. Absolute Jobber :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Wow not a lot of chatter. When is Mania again? (checks calender) Oh dear

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was a very poor Raw. I'd estimate a good 45% of the running time was ad breaks. Tough to watch, even with fast-forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭langer91

Rjd2 wrote: »

Buried the entire TNA Main Event Roster :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was so underwhelming that I can't even think of anything worthy of comment which probably explains the length of the thread.

Really disappointed in the Mania build this year. I do, however, think the matches will help give the show positive feedback and I expect a strong PPV.

It was so underwhelming that I can't even think of anything worthy of comment which probably explains the length of the thread.

Really disappointed in the Mania build this year. I do, however, think the matches will help give the show positive feedback and I expect a strong
    PPV.

Too many matches with no storylines and everyone just thrown togethar. Battle royal, divas match and tag team title matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

An File wrote: »
    It was a very poor Raw. I'd estimate a good 45% of the running time was ad breaks. Tough to watch, even with fast-forward.

Smackdown has 2 matches in two hours, imagine how much ads and promos that will have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Smackdown has 2 matches in two hours, imagine how much ads and promos that will have.
    I couldnt understand that at first when I read the spoilers, I was wondering where the rest of the article was.

The last smackdown before mania usually shows a lot of stuff from wrestlemania axcess and stuff from wm week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

incredible promo from Bryan on Backstage pass. sold it to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

D.Q wrote: »
    incredible promo from Bryan on Backstage pass. sold it to me.

Why wasn't that on Raw/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I think that was the point though; it was Hunter launching a direct attack on "the internet darlings", running down everyone he's ever "buried", in a bid to get heel heat with the IWC.

Thats not exactly a great way to sell WM30 though. Its just HHH being a dickhead because thats what he is, not to draw heat because its good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Watching that Triple H video & listening to Stephanie narrate it gives Hunter an aura of pure evil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It was a great video and IMO puts him over as an asshole heel that teh IWC thinks he is regardless of what he does on screen. He should come out with a slegehammer at WM and drop it at the ramp and be given a shovel instead by a stage hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I haven't watched the video with sound (in work) but just out of curiosity, why would you think he wasn't shown beating Rock or Stone Cold, he surely picked up a few big wins over them they could have featured?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's all fake......

Except Triple H, he is really a prick.

Oh and Vince was the same.

Triple H is simply playing up what people think Paul Levesque is actually like, the same way Vince did when he created his on screen persona after Montreal. Triple H has done it brilliantly since Summerslam.

I haven't watched the video with sound (in work) but just out of curiosity, why would you think he wasn't shown beating Rock or Stone Cold, he surely picked up a few big wins over them they could have featured?

Well The Rock clearly went on to bigger things than Hunter after their battles so he wouldnt have come off as destroying all his competition over the years if he threw Rocky in there. The Stone Cold was also the biggest star in the company and he was a much bigger star than Hunter, therefore he didnt stop him in his tracks and destroy him like he took down Steiner, Booker, Goldberg and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well The Rock clearly went on to bigger things than Hunter after their battles so he wouldnt have come off as destroying all his competition over the years if he threw Rocky in there. The Stone Cold was also the biggest star in the company and he was a much bigger star than Hunter, therefore he didnt stop him in his tracks and destroy him like he took down Steiner, Booker, Goldberg and the likes.

Cheers, I guessed that, thought he might have used them to make himself look better to the casual fan too though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Really disappointed in the Mania build this year. I do, however, think the matches will help give the show positive feedback and I expect a strong PPV.

That's the thing like on paper it'll probably be perfectly solid in ring wise, just the build and overall atmosphere of it has been really sub par, it's the 30th Wrestlemania and I'm more looking forward to Raw the next night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

This whole Triple H thing seems to be him behaving in the exact way that got him so much criticism years ago but now now it's supposed to be ok becuae it's him trolling the smarks. I don't really want that to be the basis for such a big Wrestlemania feud. I usually like it when they incorporate real life stuff into a character but I don't think this is the right time for it. Also unlike Mr. McMahon which happened shortly after Montreal it's about a decade after this stuff was relevant. Most of his worst burials were in 2002-03. I've only recently started watching again after about six years away and it's weird seeing all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah it was blatant that they chose guys who the IWC have accused HHH of burying in the past....Booker T, RVD, Steiner and Goldberg in particular; rather than the big stars like Rock or Stone Cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Interesting that the commentators mentioned the Reality Era tonight...after Triple H mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I wonder are they really pushing that as the next big era after the PG era?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Interesting that the commentators mentioned the Reality Era tonight...after Triple H mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I wonder are they really pushing that as the next big era after the PG era?

More of an insider wink at Masked Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

That little HHH video is getting a lot of talk. To the casual fan it was no different from any other hype video. Surely there needed to be a video highlighting all of Daniels struggles since Summerslam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

It was a great video and IMO puts him over as an asshole heel that teh IWC thinks he is regardless of what he does on screen. He should come out with a slegehammer at WM and drop it at the ramp and be given a shovel instead by a stage hand.

Only if he does this with it(any excuse to post this again)

X3lvD1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jesus that Ballyhoo (that I predicted would hapoen) was truly awful. Why in the name of Jumping Jesus did Dolph attempt a sunset flip on Ron Ron Mysterious? No idea of ring psychology at all.

Anyone actually believe that Big Slow is gonna win this?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Jesus that Ballyhoo (that I predicted would hapoen) was truly awful. Why in the name of Jumping Jesus did Dolph attempt a sunset flip on Ron Ron Mysterious? No idea of ring psychology at all.

Anyone actually believe that Big Slow is gonna win this?

I can see Hogan sneaking in at teh end and eliminating the last man thus winning the match

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can see Hogan sneaking in at teh end and eliminating the last man thus winning the match

Hogan moves so slow these days he'd want to sneak in at the start of the match to get in the ring for the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

HHH wasn't to far from the mark with his comment about people not wanting to do anything that requires effort, that they just latch onto supporting whatever is popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Ballyhoo
    I apologise if this seems like nitpicking. I know what you mean to say when you use the word "ballyhoo" however I don't think it means what you intend. I've never heard it being used this way in a wrestling context before. I've worked with TNA producer Steve Small on a number of occasions and he's only ever used the word in regards to lighting: say before an event when all the lights are moving and flashing randomly around the area a to help create anticipation. Anytime he's talked about a multi man free for all he's used the term schmozz.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

HHH wasn't to far from the mark with his comment about people not wanting to do anything that requires effort, that they just latch onto supporting whatever is popular.

In regards to what, wrestling fanism? That doesn't make sense.

Whosthis wrote: »
    I apologise if this seems like nitpicking. I know what you mean to say when you use the word "ballyhoo" however I don't think it means what you intend. I've never heard it being used this way in a wrestling context before. I've worked with TNA producer Steve Small on a number of occasions and he's only ever used the word in regards to lighting: say before an event when all the lights are moving and flashing randomly around the area a to help create anticipation. Anytime he's talked about a multi man free for all he's used the term schmozz.

Hmm, dictionary would imply that Whosthis may in fact be a dumbass.

Full Definition of BALLYHOO

: a noisy attention-getting demonstration or talk
    : flamboyant, exaggerated, or sensational promotion or publicity
    : excited commotion
    — ballyhoo transitive verb
    See ballyhoo defined for English-language learners »
    See ballyhoo defined for kids »
    Examples of BALLYHOO

<it turned out that the ballyhoo was the result of a movie being filmed on the street>
    <the usual ballyhoo intended to fill the seats at megaplexes around the country>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

who cares either way really, words are only used to convey a message or idea. Everyone knew what he meant by ballyhoo. No point in getting bogged down by the finer details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Reebrock wrote: »
    In regards to what, wrestling fanism? That doesn't make sense.

I mean "bandwagonism" in general, people see a successful team/athlete in any sport and suddenly everyone's an expert/has an opinion...but nobody will actually get off their holes and do anything that requires physical effort ie.play the game themselves.

Anyway back on topic: HHH is playing the role of a pr!ck perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Kevin Dunn and his ballyhoo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGDXN5jxUo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I mean "bandwagonism" in general, people see a successful team/athlete in any sport and suddenly everyone's an expert/has an opinion...but nobody will actually get off their holes and do anything that requires physical effort ie.play the game themselves.

Anyway back on topic: HHH is playing the role of a pr!ck perfectly

Yeah you're right, if only I'd listened to HHH when I was young, it could be me getting buried by him on Sunday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Did anyone else notice the Mayo 4 Sam flag in the crowd during HHH's promo? Best part of Raw for me.

I like a lot of the HHH/Bryan feud but one thing I'm disappointed with and can't understand is why Bryan's win at Summerslam has being rendered almost irrelevant. Surely the fact that he beat Cena should be used to point the flaws in HHH's argument about Bryan being a B+ player?

D.Q wrote: »
    who cares either way really, words are only used to convey a message or idea. Everyone knew what he meant by ballyhoo. No point in getting bogged down by the finer details.

Obviously I do or I wouldn't have asked. It was used in a context I hadn't heard before and I found it interesting. It may sound very boring but I find words, their usage and origins somewhat fascinating.

Whosthis wrote: »

I'm just taking the pish really when I say Ballyhoo. I've taken it from another thread on leaked WWE scripts,where every show would begin with a Ballyhoo. (WWE sure do love that word) I do mean a schmozz if wrestling terms are used. It's like, whenever I refer to Rey Mysterio on Boards, I'll call him Ron Ron or Ron Mysterious. Just a bit of fun really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm just taking the pish really when I say Ballyhoo. I've taken it from another thread on leaked WWE scripts,where every show would begin with a Ballyhoo. (WWE sure do love that word) I do mean a schmozz if wrestling terms are used. It's like, whenever I refer to Rey Mysterio on Boards, I'll call him Ron Ron or Ron Mysterious. Just a bit of fun really.

Don't be telling them our secret about Ron Ron!!!

Omackeral wrote: »

Oops!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Omackeral wrote: »

under the mask it's Ron Burgundy!

best finish/reveal to a something vs Mask match ever right there!

Advertisement