Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just looking for some career opinions and advice

Options
  • 31-03-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I just want some advice or opinions on my situation from people who know what theyre talking about.

Im 25. Ive been in my first IT job for about a year now and its fine. Theyre offering me a new contract and want me to sign it soon.

However I want to do a masters course(this will be my second). Obviously I could do it later or part time but Ive been wanting to do it for a long time and I want to give it my full focus. There are other strong private reasons for me to do it full time next September and not wait. The masters is IT related.

Im just wondering if it will destroy my CV and Ill never be able to get a job again? or if there are any other disasters that Im not forseeing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

somadvpls wrote: »
    Hi,

I just want some advice or opinions on my situation from people who know what theyre talking about.

Im 25. Ive been in my first IT job for about a year now and its fine. Theyre offering me a new contract and want me to sign it soon.

However I want to do a masters course(this will be my second). Obviously I could do it later or part time but Ive been wanting to do it for a long time and I want to give it my full focus. There are other strong private reasons for me to do it full time next September and not wait. The masters is IT related.

Im just wondering if it will destroy my CV and Ill never be able to get a job again? or if there are any other disasters that Im not forseeing.

Thanks

So, is it primary degree, masters, job and now another masters?

Hmmm, it won't look great, tbh, from a prospective employers POV. Unless, of course, the 2nd masters is a good fit for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

So, is it primary degree, masters, job and now another masters?

Hmmm, it won't look great, tbh, from a prospective employers POV. Unless, of course, the 2nd masters is a good fit for the job.

It would make me think that you couldn't hack it in industry and ran back to academia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 somadvpls

Thanks for the replies. I dont want to give any specific details and obviously I couldnt make this clear on a job application or cv but I dont want to continue in the particular area Im in and the masters is specialized in the area I am interested in, does this make any difference?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thanks for the replies. I dont want to give any specific details and obviously I couldnt make this clear on a job application or cv but I dont want to continue in the particular area Im in and the masters is specialized in the area I am interested in, does this make any difference?

Hard to give specific advice if you don't give specific details I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ChRoMe wrote: »
    It would make me think that you couldn't hack it in industry and ran back to academia.
    definitely, experience is the key in this industry not 2 masters

• Advertisement

definitely, experience is the key in this industry not 2 masters

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.

I understand experience is what employers want but I dont intend to stay in the part of the industry Im currently in and Ill get no experience in what I want in this job and I intend to apply at graduate level for jobs after I finish the Masters. I could see myself getting quite unhappy sticking where I am.

I know its a risk but I want to know if its a risk on the level of a setback with an extended period of unemployment or its career suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Can you not try and get a different job that would get you the experience you want rather than doing a masters?

not1but4 wrote: »
    Can you not try and get a different job that would get you the experience you want rather than doing a masters?

No, for a few reasons.

Sorry for being oblique but I dont want to say anything too specific about myself or my employer on a public forum. If anyone could be bothered they can private message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

No, for a few reasons.

Sorry for being oblique but I dont want to say anything too specific about myself or my employer on a public forum. If anyone could be bothered they can private message me.

I'd give you an interview if only to ask you how you have two masters coz as the good book tells us......
    No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

:p

Lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement