Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching to PTSB from AIB

Options
  • 31-03-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm considering moving my current account from AIB to Permanent TSB as I'm sick of their account charges - I logged into my online banking on Saturday to discover they had debited 65 euro for ATM and online transaction fees for the three months previously, which I think is absolutely outrageous, for withdrawing your own money from your bank account.

I'm curious to know what PSTB are like to deal with on a day-to-day basis. Is their online banking comparable to AIBs? Is their phone customer service as good? Overall, is it worth the hassle of switching accounts?

My understanding with PTSB is that once 1500 is lodged into your account per month, you are exempt from most charges accept for unpaid bill fees etc.
    I assume that monthly payroll will cover that lodgement requirement?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I switched to PTSB from AIB via UB. Would have stayed with UB except for the fiasco and the horrible branch staff in my town.

I find PTSB absolutely fine, no worse than AIB and no charges! The 1500 requirement is satisifed by payroll. Their online banking is better than AIB in my opinion.

I say do it! I've never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I'd go along with Toulouse.

Only thing for me is that there is no branch near me - and I used to use An Post for general AIB banking.

PTSB online banking / mobile banking is good. And Open 24 call centre are very quick to answer when I have rang in the past.

Moved because of fees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I moved from AIB to PTSB several years back to avail of their free banking.
    Would recommend highly, no problems or hassles with them .
    AIB bank charges were very high.
    Why pay bank charges , which average say around 150 euro + a year, when you can get it free elsewhere
    Customer service wise, financial help wise, I find PTSB absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

depends on your local branch i guess.

PTSB in my town are full of absolute idiots.

Went to Ulsterbank myself and never had any issues. Seem to be far more on the ball than AIB or BOI anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Thanks for the replies folks - very informative. I forgot to mention that I have a small loan and credit card with AIB, so is it possible to set up direct debits on a PTSB current account for repayments for both ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I find it ridiculous that you are required to have 2500 in your AIB account at all times to get free banking.

Least with PTSB, you only need to lodge 1500. Even if you only have 500 quid, you can take it out, deposit it and repeat till you hit the 1500 mark :D

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I find it ridiculous that you are required to have 2500 in your AIB account at all times to get free banking.

Least with PTSB, you only need to lodge 1500. Even if you only have 500 quid, you can take it out, deposit it and repeat till you hit the 1500 mark :D

I agree, it benefits those who are least affected by the charges to begin with!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Indeed and moving banks is the only way to change these charges, they are relying on inertia to keep people with them and paying. I've never paid charges ever, jsut go where the banking is free and services are cheapest, if everybody did that we'd be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, couldn't go back to charges again, worried that every time I use the debit card I'm racking up the bones of 50c.

I was with AIB then BOI then PTSB.

Few things I learned is:

Print out you last 6 month statements from AIB and file them, you cant get online them once you leave.

Take a screen grab of all your standing orders / direct debits and payees and save it also.

Its all these numbers you'll need to set up you payees again. You can use an online iban generator to get the code.

I set up my own credits and debits, I wouldn't trust the bank to do it right.

PTSB's online banking is basic but does the job. The main thing you can't do is schedule a payment for a future date.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree, couldn't go back to charges again, worried that every time I use the debit card I'm racking up the bones of 50c.

I was with AIB then BOI then PTSB.

Few things I learned is:

Print out you last 6 month statements from AIB and file them, you cant get online them once you leave.

Take a screen grab of all your standing orders / direct debits and payees and save it also.

Its all these numbers you'll need to set up you payees again. You can use an online iban generator to get the code.

I set up my own credits and debits, I wouldn't trust the bank to do it right.

PTSB's online banking is basic but does the job. The main thing you can't do is schedule a payment for a future date.

Cheers for that! I've noted them just now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

One more thing, for the last 3 weeks my debit card transaction have been at least 3 days behind, they were always visible on the day or on the Monday after a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

I would never go near Permanent TSB,,worst bank ever to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Harpic wrote: »
    I would never go near Permanent TSB,,worst bank ever to deal with

absolutely, completely disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 morrigan2014

Hey OP,

Recently changed from Ulster Bank to PTSB myself and find them great. Anyone who I have dealt with over the phone or face-to-face has been so lovely and helpful to deal with. A massive change from Ulster Bank who are so miserable on the phone.

The only thing I don't like is their online banking. It isn't as user friendly and up-to-date as Ulster Bank. Hopefully it's something that they will improve on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ronniel21

Great stuff!
    Have been thinking of moving to PERM from AIB and from what Ive read above Im definitely going to do so.
    Why should I pay a couple hundred euro a year for the privilege of having AIB as my bank!?!
    Bye Bye AIB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've made this move. Pretty easy and no more charges.

No brainer tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I have to echo what most people have said here. Moved from AIB last summer, not a bother since. Missus done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I am thinking of leaving PTSB because when I get my first Job after College I am unlikely to have an income of €1500 a month for the first while but would be in a position to maintain the €2000 minimum balance required by other banks.
    Also, I have relatives abroad and on a few occasions they sent me gifts in foreign currency cheque and PTSB won't take them as they have to be over a certain amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I am thinking of leaving PTSB because when I get my first Job after College I am unlikely to have an income of €1500 a month for the first while but would be in a position to maintain the €2000 minimum balance required by other banks.

Ryan, If you have 2000 then why not open a PTSB Online Instant Access Account as well as the current account. You can leave your 2000 in the online account where it will earn 2% interest. Then once a month you log in, move 1500 from the online account to the current account and then transfer it back. That satisfies the condition of lodging 1500, so you will still get free banking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Ryan, If you have 2000 then why not open a PTSB Online Instant Access Account as well as the current account. You can leave your 2000 in the online account where it will earn 2% interest. Then once a month you log in, move 1500 from the online account to the current account and then transfer it back. That satisfies the condition of lodging 1500, so you will still get free banking.

I have a Bonus Booster Savings Account but I suppose in net terms I might be better off with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I have a Bonus Booster Savings Account but I suppose in net terms I might be better off with that one.

With the Online Instant Access Account you get 2% regardless of how much is in it and can make withdrawals anytime. Seems like a better deal than the bonus booster alright.

Advertisement