Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Quote

Options
  • 31-03-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Folks,

Just got a quote for a garage 15' x 12'

double block with insulation
    raft foundation
    slate roof with gable
    guttering and piping,
    plaster finish outside,
    finished celling inside one window
    no door quoted as have not made up mind on that.

The garage will be attached to house so only 3 walls needed.

13k inc VAT

Looking for opinions on quote please. Seems a little pricey to me.

Tks,
    Eamonndo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

eamonndo wrote: »
    Folks,

Just got a quote for a garage 15' x 12'

double block with insulation
    raft foundation
    slate roof with gable
    guttering and piping,
    plaster finish outside,
    finished celling inside one window
    no door quoted as have not made up mind on that.

The garage will be attached to house so only 3 walls needed.

13k inc VAT

Looking for opinions on quote please. Seems a little pricey to me.

Tks,
    Eamonndo[/QUOTE
    Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eamonndo

Co Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Co Galway
    11-15k sound ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thats roughly 11 plus vat , seems cheap to me but probably right for galway prices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

i think the builder who gave you that quote is chancing his arm with you on the cost and finish .11k plus vat seems a tad over priced to me .
    you are only getting 3 walls built and theres no door included and no mention of any electrics or plumbing/mains water feed to garage . so 13k all in is overpriced. id be aiming for around 9k and then vat so around 11k all in . for 13k id be expecting internal plastering , a couple of double wall sockets , lights and a mains water feed to the garage for futureproofing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 eamonndo

Thanks for the replies so far. Have another quote coming in.

It's actually 2.5 walls the the front facing wall will contain the double garage door. I was expecting a 8-10K quote including VAT.

Will update when I get the second quote for comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for the replies so far. Have another quote coming in.

It's actually 2.5 walls the the front facing wall will contain the double garage door. I was expecting a 8-10K quote including VAT.

Will update when I get the second quote for comparison

Not a hope. Not for a proper job at any rate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Where would be a good place to get quotes for a block garage and then a roof too. Im near Athenry by the way.
    I have a raft foundation built ready for a 25sqm garage. I cant afford a full finish yet. Id just like to get the blocks and roof on first, so that I could use it to store things for the winter and then put in windows, roller doors, electrics etc next year.

If this option isnt going to work, i'll just go for a steeltech shed for about 3500k or so but the block garage would be so much better.

Also does anyone have an idea how much would a tiled roof would cost with a 40 degree pitch on it? Ive a feeling that will be the most expensive part.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

you would wanna watch your 40 degree pitched roof, would that be an apex roof or a hipped roof? it may require planning if you go over a certain height.....

what way are you building the garage? 300mm cavity with insulation or 225mm cavity wall?

get in touch witha local quarry to price your tiles including ridge tiles and cement die, your local builders merchants for the timber, min 6x2 at 400 c/c's, timber battens 2 x 1.5, breather membrane, all your rain water goods inc fascia & soffit....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Living in Athenry myself, your price is cheap - to right.

If you go Steeltech, you could resell it in the future, and get some money back.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement