Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy Rash

Options
  • 31-03-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi there

Anyone any good solutions for nappy rash? My two year old is really suffering this last while and I have tried everything and anything to try and keep it at bay....

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated!

Maura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

mauraf wrote: »
    Hi there

Anyone any good solutions for nappy rash? My two year old is really suffering this last while and I have tried everything and anything to try and keep it at bay....

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated!

Maura

My daughter is 2 next week and sometimes suffers quite bad. Usually after too many blueberries!!!
    For starters I switched from the pink johnsons baby wipes to the blue teach ones. They are not half as wet.
    Wen her bum is particularly bad. ..I don't use wipes at all...I use liquid paraffin and cotton pads (not cotton wool it sticks everywhere) and let her run around with no nappy to let it dry in. It's magic that stuff.
    The cream we use..aand I've tried pretty much all of them is plain old sudo cream or bepanthan.
    I did try egg whites for a while some people swear by them but I found it pretty useless and just a pain in the bum so to speak.
    Prevention is better than cure. She used to eat like a punnet of blueberries a day or fresh orange juice. It was just to much acid..maybe try work it back see what's causing it?

Defo changing to not as wet wipes helped and loads of bare bum:)

Hope this helps... nothing worse... although it does seem to bother us more than them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Very old wives tales but my mum swears by the white of an egg!! Crack an egg - whip up the white and spread it on. Let it dry and then put the nappy back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

A muslin square soaked in camomile tea left inside my little man's nappy worked wonders for soothing his nappy rash.

Also found caldesene powder helped to dry it up quite quickly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

would it be a good opportunity to start potty training?
    when mine had it bad I would bath or shower them after dirty nappies instead of wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had the most awful problems with nappy rash and my little girl. We even needed hydrocortisone from doc at one stage to clear it: and it still didn't clear fully. I changed nappies wipes everything.

What worked in the end was using Avene spray water and cotton pads to clean her (she was screeching even with ordinary water) and using La Roche Posay Cicoplast Cream.

I also find liquid parrafin and lassars paste and morhoulin good but the above cleared it when nothing else would. You should have heard my oh's reaction to spray water though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Orobase paste ( get it in any chemist mixed with vasaline)
    Learned about it on a wound care course and it works fantastically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

In terms of normal barrier creams, the best one I've found is the sensitive baby balm from Boots - it's about €2.50 a tube and it's effective, without irritating the skin. If nappy rash develops, metanium works well, but you can only get that in the North.

Agree with the suggestion to look at diet as well. I had to take oranges out completely, and I keep fruit to non-acid types, like apples and banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

Thanks for all your suggestions! Really very helpful!
    I had thought about starting the potty training although when I mention the 'toilet' to him at the moment, he is quite clear with his answer! I may try and softly softly approach.
    Poor chap suffers from bad excema as well - so doesnt help, and he is already on quite a restricted diet as he is allergic to egg and peanut. Heard about the egg white as well - but was reluctant to try it given his allergy....
    At the moment, we have tried sudocream, zinc and castor oil, natural yogurt and now on vaseline and caldescence - I have that Morhulin ointment here as well though - so I may give that a go after his bath this evening...

Thanks again - appreciate all the help and advice!

Maura

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I found Bepanthen great for nappy rash.. I would usually see an instant improvement after using it.. well within an hour or so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

if you are near the north or have anyone in the uk metanium cream is amazing for nappy rash!

you barely need any but it works so well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement