Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Quote for Wedding Ceremony

Options
  • 31-03-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all, Im getting married in an unusual venue that doesn't usually do weddings, and could really do with some advise on getting around an expensive insurance quote. It is a theatre, so does have launches, and crowds of people there. I have resolved any issues surrounding this with the Humanist who is marrying us.

Our plan is to have 80+ guests (as per the seating arrangement) to attend the ceremony, bring everyone outside for a photo, at which stage the tiered theatre seats can be pushed back (this only takes seconds), and we will all come back in for some canapés and champagne. We will only be there for an extra hour or so before we go to the reception venue.

The Theatre people have now come back with quite an expensive insurance quote. They have said they are happy for us to look into alternatives, but the quote they have come back with is for writing "a sort term policy in the name of [us] the couple", which will cost €236.25, – Public Liability only (ie. not wedding insurance), Is this very expensive or am I fooling myself? They have also requested that "All caterers & 3rd party service providers to have their own insurance in place"

Now, the caterers serving the canapés and bubbles are from a restaurant, so I am guessing that while the restaurant is open, they will not have insurance at our venue.

This is only an issue for the ceremony venue, as the reception venue (where we will have a sit down meal etc) has full cover we have been advised.

Is there any way anyone can suggest working around this. The venue are happy to rent us the theatre and for us to sort out the insurance, but Im not sure if this would be worthwhile.

Also, the only insurance we have at the moment is car insurance, so don't have another policy we can try to put it on. Perhaps our parents could use theirs though if that would be an option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

PLI is needed, its specific, cant put it on car insurance.

surprised theyre charging you for this as I would have thought that theyd had to pay for PLI as part of an annual venue coverage fee, Imsure they have their reasons though.

the 3rd party providors should all have their own as well, as again, part of an annual package that covers them when working on site.

google for one off PLI and youll find a number of providors that will quote you. AFAIR its got to do with the amount of people youll be having and at a guess I wouldnt have said its far off the quote you were given.

I did remember reading once that as part of wedding insurance (completely separate thing) you can get PLI taken out as an add-on, try the wedding insurers for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

+ 1.

No other insurance cover will extend for it. I would suspect that possibly there is an owner and an operator of the theatre and both have separate policies. Neither of which would cover your usage and exposure.

As clint said any quote you get isn't likely to be far off what you were already given. There will be a minimum premium charged by insurers to make it worthwhile plus a broker's charge.

No reason that a restaurants policy shouldnt extend to what they are doing once it is within their business description but that's hardly in your control.

Advertisement