Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GoPro Mounting

• 31-03-2014 11:54am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads can anyone give us some advice on GoPro mounting locations? I got one of the chest straps but it seems to see more of the tank than anything else. I’m not sure I can get it any higher or it will be hitting my helmet.

I can put it on my helmet but it gets battered by the wind. Has anyone made a proper mount on the bike? I’ve seen some very cool stuff on youtube. A mate was thinking of getting a mount made for the front, take off the wing mirrors and screw in a mount go put the gopro facing either forwards or backwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As I said most people with the harness turn it upside down so it films more upwards instead of down. There is also the suction cup mount that would hold a small car to a wall its that strong, then you have the flexi jaw mount. Really depends on the bike you have to tailor the mounting options m8.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I actually tried turning it upside down but it would not work for me. Might give it another go. I lost of suction cup mount, must get another. And I need some of the sticky mounts too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You'll probably find something here to suit: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts

I use my gopro for whitewater kayaking and I mostly use the adhesive mounts: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/curved-flat-adhesive-mounts

You should be able to stick one of those on your helmet, or anywhere else on the bike that doesn't get hot (heat will cause the glue to melt and the mount will fall off). They are easy to remove too, just heat the adhesive with a hairdryer or a heatgun and they pull off easily and can be used again. They are pretty strong, as I said I have a curved one on my helmet and I've slammed it off rocks several times and it hasn't come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Suction up works well on the tank if you don't wanna use adhesives. I mounted mine to my helmet yesterday for a brief fast run on a local backroad and it's a disaster. Great POV but video destroyed by wind noise. The closer to engine noise the better as this will help drown out the wind noise. They work well if you put an adhesive on the front fairing or the suction cup/adhesive on the side too

A bag of tethers is silly money so well worth your while getting them so if the unit slips it wont be destroyed. There are a few new mounts out I got an email last night about them....one has a giraffe neck so to speak about 8" so that would be ideal coming up from the tank over the screen. And its bendable in lots of different ways too...

I am gonna get the chest mount for my trip away to Germany in the summer, dont know if I should get the real deal GoPro chesty or the ebay china one for 1/4 of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This one looks cool: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/gooseneck - but would it cobble about do you think?

Zascar wrote: »
    This one looks cool: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/gooseneck - but would it cobble about do you think?

Yeah thats the "giraffey" one I was talking about.....lol.

Id say it would be rigid enough TBH. And all it would need is a regular curved mount to the tank.

Have a look at this Zascar, let it play till and you will see the "Rubber Band" inside the clamp which would work on a handlebar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDK-CMRORUY

Ok I found a video and now understand about mounting it upside down, I was doing it wrong. will give it a go when I get home.

This looks pretty cool - would get some great angles on it: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Helmet-Extension-Arm-Self-Photo-Shooting-Camera-Mount-For-Gopro-Hero-1-2-3-k-/400630170073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d476b41d9

I saw another cool mount that bolts to the petrol cover and gives a really solid place to put the gopro, not sure what its called though

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok I found a video and now understand about mounting it upside down, I was doing it wrong. will give it a go when I get home.

This looks pretty cool - would get some great angles on it: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Helmet-Extension-Arm-Self-Photo-Shooting-Camera-Mount-For-Gopro-Hero-1-2-3-k-/400630170073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d476b41d9

I saw another cool mount that bolts to the petrol cover and gives a really solid place to put the gopro, not sure what its called though

Got a link for the video of the upside down mounting Zascar?

Can you mount it facing out aswell? Some of the mounts are set and you cant change them especially on the "DING DONG IMPORTS".
    Dont wanna be looking at your own mush all day long....plus not sure if I want a mount smack bang in the middle forehead of the helmet. That would be better mounted on the tank say....

• Advertisement

I'm sure you can mount it out also - might be cool and give a good perspective. I thought about mounting it on the front of my lid just on the chin bit - but you could do this also - I think that would give a great angle as it's just below eye height. Only problem is if you fell off, the last thing you want is leverage twisting your neck...

A mate just boguht this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Arm-GoPro-Extension-ARm-Mount-all-GoPro-HERO-Cameras-GOLD-/171285085135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e162fbcf for mounting at the back and giving a view looking over your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

On the chin? Seen a few mounted there and looks like the wind would be less of a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I got a GoPro RAM mount 2 weeks ago. My bike already had a GPS Ram mount on the Top yoke so I got this arm adapter and RAM ball for the GoPro.

It attaches like in this guy's video.

I used it on a spin last Sunday and it's great. I faced mine further forward so it has a better view, is steadier than in that video since no wind hits it, only picks up engine noise and not wind noise, and you can't see my speedo ;).

The only fault I have with it is the bolt used to attach the Ram ball to the GoPro. It's a simple bolt and nut so not as easy to tighten as the standard GoPro bolts. Even when tightened (I didn't tighten to the max) I can move the position of the GoPro if I apply some force. But it did hold up on a 3 hour spin last weekend without moving so it's good enough for the job.

It's far better than the top helmet mount unless you want to be looking about. I think that it's better than the chest harness as even in the upside down position the rider and bike screen can obstruct the view when tucked in. The Chin mount is pretty good but again when tucked in you can end up with a view of mostly the speedo/rev counter.

I would have got this too but my screen is dark dark black....no seeing through it at all! I need the goose neck to raise the cam up about 10" or so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would have got this too but my screen is dark dark black.

That would be a bit of an issue alright :). My screen is tinted and I'm surprised about how little effect it actually had on the footage.

Advertisement