Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitzgeralds park run by idiots

Options
  • 31-03-2014 12:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

Do we all know abput the current retardation going on within the city.

This amazed me.

The park is currently getting done up.
    Most of you will know about the controversial skygarden, awaird winning chelsea showpiece from chelsea flower show by diarmuid gavin which was commissioned by the park.

It was meant to be suspended in the air but the council felt the garden should be at a height of 2ft for health and safety. (SKY garden). So gavin refused to work with the project amd it looks like a love seat shoved in by the river now.

Next up we have the 15k worth of plants they bought for it. Builders thought they were weeds and dumped a load of rubble in on top of them.

These same builders were the cowboys hired from poland to refurbish the fountain. They used the wrong concrete for pounting. TThy broke the top part of the fountain and 3/4 the way through the build fecked off cause they hadnt a clue what they were doing.

Next up we have the new band stand. A beautiful white arc, totally out of place and character with the park has been erected where the old sensory garden was in front of the meuseum. They are currently on their third attempt at laying this as they have twice used the wrong type of concrete to hold the structure.

There is a public toilet in the park. One of those tardis looking phone box ones with the sliding door. Its not in use though because some young one got locked into it. Closed for 2 years now.

Lastly for now, they have erected a new 16k wall along where the parks storage yard is by the public toilet/security gard hut is. This wall is lovely but the thing is the house behind it owns that land and had let them use it as she was not using it at the time. They have had it for about 15 years now. So they have built a lovely wall for her for free. Shee is now talking about pushing them out due to the distress caused from building works. Free wall though! Yay!!

Complete shambles. I cant condone this crap on any level. Just money wasted. And then you see the bike lane crap going on in the city and I just want to punch someone hard in the face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

So on the one had, you have the Sky Garden designed to be suspended in the air but the council objected to the actual design due to health and safety.

Then on the other hand, Guards object to concrete island in Washington street and completely ****erUppery of layout and Health & Safety Concerns. That goes ahead anyway.

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

It is unbelievable. It really is.

I want to march down to city hall and throw the lot of the incompetant buffoons out.

how can anyone mess up so badly.

It's a good job neil prendiville is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Yeah it does seem like an unholy mess for sure. Coincidently I was was out for a jog in the area yesterday & took a wander in there to have a look, snapped a pic of the yoke itself. Hard to believe how much cash has been sunk into it :(

mqa3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

good to see our property tax is being well spent :rolleyes:

i could make that outr of a couple of planks of wood and some bars for a fraction of the 1.25 million (i think) they bought it for

• Advertisement

They're getting slammed today in the Examiner:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sarsfield-road-a-financial-roundabout-263738.html

A report into one of the largest local authorities in the country has revealed significant concern with how it is managing its finances.

The Local Government Audit Service said there were weaknesses across a range of areas within Cork City Council.

According to the management letter, 73% of purchase orders in 2012, accounting for €45m of spending, were non-compliant with proper procedures. Most purchase orders were approved on the same day as the transaction or after it.

This was despite the May 2011 work by the internal auditors on this bad habit.

More than two years later, in August 2013, 64% of all purchase orders were approved on the same day or after a sale deal was made.

Likewise, Mr Daly’s latest criticisms on a lack of response to internal auditors had echoes of his unit’s commentary from a year earlier.

In late 2012, the audit on Cork City referred to a 2010 commitment by senior managers to review the status of recommendations made in audit reports published between 2007 and 2010. In 2012, the review had still not been completed.

Our own little Sochi by the sounds of it.

right, well they are clearly incompetant and i want them removed from office.

How do i go about doing this with immediate effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Follow the money and the truth will appear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lolosaur wrote: »

Run for election yourself!

Damn near impossible to remove an elected official from office in Ireland, even when a tribunal says they are guilty of Malfeasance.

The local elections are on May 24th tho iirc.

I would like to see a negative publicity campaign
    To be able to associate a face with a **** up

e.g. This is the fool who destroyed Washington street

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 officer butterman

can one person take down the entire incompetence ring?

It would be like John mclane in die hard but would bumbling fu**wits everywhere.

things cant go on like this, they just cant.

pissing money up against a wall repeatedly. and we let it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

good to see our property tax is being well spent :rolleyes:

Your property tax went into the setting up of irish water, and give them some starting capital.
    Thank you fine gael

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nothing happens with 'immediate effect' in our public sector.
    But as someone said, running for election is probably the most proactive thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This woman (Laura McGonigle) wasted over €1m removing the Well Road roundabout for no reason. All its done is created extra traffic for no reason. Consider not voting for her and giving her grief if she ever calls to your doorstep. I know I will.

LauraMcGonigleCorkCityCouncilINTERNAL.jpg

Councillors seem to think they don't actually have to represent their constituencies but are instead given free reign to do what they want. Unbelievable. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

This woman (Laura McGonigle) wasted over €1m removing the Well Road roundabout for no reason. All its done is created extra traffic for no reason. Consider not voting for her and giving her grief if she ever calls to your doorstep. I know I will.

LauraMcGonigleCorkCityCouncilINTERNAL.jpg

Councillors seem to think they don't actually have to represent their constituencies but are instead given free reign to do what they want. Unbelievable. :mad:

You could at the very least back that up by linking at least one source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Agreed, but judging by her behaviour in council meetings, i can't see her dragging her eyes off her phone long enough to call to many doors.

and we havent even touched on the o flynns yet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

opus wrote: »
    Yeah it does seem like an unholy mess for sure. Coincidently I was was out for a jog in the area yesterday & took a wander in there to have a look, snapped a pic of the yoke itself. Hard to believe how much cash has been sunk into it :(

mqa3.jpg

Jesus that is ****ing ugly. How much is that costing us?

rob316 wrote: »

Last purchase order put in by the council was for 300 million euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

:eek:
    Tell me that is a typo!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wft? For that crock of crap?

She mentions it on her site (along with a ton of other stuff) which hardly makes her responsible for the works.

I'm not sure who in the council is in charge but that Well Road on to Douglas section is just the pits.

And back on topic, I must check out Fitzgeralds Park next time I'm home.

It looks crazy, what nut bags signed off on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

sickening isn't it!! Bunch of tools they are. Really disappointed in Laura I thought she would do some good. Grew up not to far from her and really thought she would do something with her post but nope if that roundie is anything to judge. She doesn't live close to that area also so how did she come up with that the roundie was causing delays!! she would not have been a local local..

Garden is a disgrace to the council All the places that could have done with that money.. And why didn't they contract local aswell that's another thing that annoys me

Triangla wrote: »
    She mentions it on her site (along with a ton of other stuff) which hardly makes her responsible for the works.

I'm not sure who in the council is in charge but that Well Road on to Douglas section is just the pits.

Well she was certainly claiming it as all her idea at the time. "Most intelligent trafic light system" etc. Is she doing some political weasling out if it now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

rob316 wrote: »

Budgeted for €2.3m - "80% of the funding coming from Fáilte Ireland, and Cork City Council making up the remainder."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Alarm was raised at the attitude of the various departments in City Hall to audit reports; the skills available to implement recommendations; and the effort to enforce this among the frontline spending departments.

Alarm was raised at the attitude of the various departments in City Hall to audit reports; the skills available to implement recommendations; and the effort to enforce this among the frontline spending departments.

you can shorten that scentence.

"nobody knows what they are doing in city hall"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Not everything posted on this thread is correct.

Let's not get carried away, 20% of €2.3m is €460,000. The price tag for the garden is not €300m, which is almost twice the entire budget for CCC in 2014.
    Still too much money in my opinion, but there's a big difference.

The public toilet in Fitzgerald's Park has not been continuously closed for the past two years. It's never been closed when I've passed (at least 20 times over that period).

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/01/23/sky-garden-hits-snag-wrong-concrete-used-construction/

Advertisement