Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitzgeralds park run by idiots

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Not everything posted on this thread is correct.

Let's not get carried away, 20% of €2.3m is €460,000. The price tag for the garden is not €300m, which is almost twice the entire budget for CCC in 2014.
    Still too much money in my opinion, but there's a big difference.

The public toilet in Fitzgerald's Park has not been continuously closed for the past two years. It's never been closed when I've passed (at least 20 times over that period).

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/01/23/sky-garden-hits-snag-wrong-concrete-used-construction/

Thats the Security cabin. your not meant to go to the toilet in there.

300 million is a proposterous figure. the fact that people were not sure if it is accurate or not would mean that either the people are out of touch with the spending going on or that the spending going on is so inept that nobody has a donkeys bo***x what is happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

lolosaur wrote: »

300 million is a proposterous figure. the fact that people were not sure if it is accurate or not would mean that either the people are out of touch with the spending going on or that the spending going on is so inept that nobody has a donkeys bo***x what is happening at all.

We do know that €300m is inaccurate, as that one cost alone is about twice the Council's entire budget for the year. They have the cost listed as €2.4m.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Hibs Hearts run FR33

There is a public toilet in the park. One of those tardis looking phone box ones with the sliding door. Its not in use though because some young one got locked into it. Closed for 2 years now.

hope she's all-right...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doesn't stop some folk after a skinfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know everyone likes to blame the city council for everything but... There's a difference between the councilors (useless shower full of hot air who can be replaced at election time with an equally useless shower) and city council (the officials,some on eye watering salaries,who are also a useless shower but CAN'T be voted out...and who hold the real power)
    And yes the city getting behind skygarden was stupid, they couldn't suspend it from a crane permanently , Gavin wouldn't agree to it being on high steel legs(plus how would gardeners get up to maintain it safely , and it's pointless at ground level.. Dopes ..

On the plus side new cafe opens on monday

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    And yes the city getting behind skygarden was stupid, they couldn't suspend it from a crane permanently , Gavin wouldn't agree to it being on high steel legs(plus how would gardeners get up to maintain it safely , and it's pointless at ground level.. Dopes ..

Someone must have gotten a hard-on for the sky garden and wanted it for Cork, at any cost. Very easy to spend someone else's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Triangla wrote: »
    She mentions it on her site (along with a ton of other stuff) which hardly makes her responsible for the works.

I'm not sure who in the council is in charge but that Well Road on to Douglas section is just the pits.

She was the one who was pushing it and making all the noise about it at the time.
    Someone must have gotten a hard-on for the sky garden and wanted it for Cork, at any cost. Very easy to spend someone else's money.

But it's going to attract 200 million tourists a year :D
    At least they won't have to strain their necks looking up into the sky. Hope they don't trip over it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Technophobia

This is a real shame. This is where I spend my childhood, my teens etc. Its where I took my kids even though we didnt live near because of the memories it held for me.

Its been a few years now since I went. I am sorry to see it go to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

A bunch of cronies running this country so it only works its way down into local councils,,,,, no accountability nothing of the like,,, lets just waste money ans sure if it done work we will try something new....

I tell ya one thing when the TD comes knocking on my door for votes he and his heavies will be told under no uncertain terms where the feck to go

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

This is a real shame. This is where I spend my childhood, my teens etc. Its where I took my kids even though we didnt live near because of the memories it held for me.

Its been a few years now since I went. I am sorry to see it go to the dogs.

How can you say it's gone to the dogs if you haven't been there for a few years?

It's actually still quite a nice park, regardless of the way money is being spent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I went for a look at the Sky Garden at the weekend. I think it'll turn out really nice.

13699172663_3d049867eb.jpg

13699181743_40f49b4d28.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

i could make that outr of a couple of planks of wood and some bars for a fraction of the 1.25 million (i think) they bought it for

Ye knew what ye would be getting when ye paid it, No point crying over spilled Milk now..

BillJ wrote: »
    It's actually still quite a nice park, regardless of the way money is being spent on it.

Yeah, that makes it all ok. Getting a nice Mini for the price of a Ferarri.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Yeah, that makes it all ok. Getting a nice Mini for the price of a Ferarri.

You're taking my quote out of context. The person I was responding to said it was a pity it had gone to the dogs, which it hasn't. It's still a nice park.

So anyway go on tell me how much they spent and what exactly they spent it on?

I'm not defending how this whole project has been undertaken and how the money was spent but before people come on here making unfounded remarks and pulling figures out of the air they should do a bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I still think it's a great park as well , jammed full of weird stuff and a bit if a mish mash but that's part of it ...
    I wouldn't blame the skygarden on the park, reckon they had it foisted on them and will make the best of it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

BillJ wrote: »
    So anyway go on tell me how much they spent and what exactly they spent it on?

That's not entirely possible because the City Council don't seem to know themselves:
    WRONG CONCRETE USED IN CONSTRUCTION
    The €2.3m Sky Garden project in Fitzgerald Park has hit another problem this month after a construction error meant a large concrete plinth had to be dug up and replaced.

It is not known how much it will cost to replace the plinth but the Council spokesperson insisted the taxpayer will not face any increased costs and the project would not be delayed.

The entire budget for the Mardyke Gardens was €2.3m, with 80% of the funding coming from Fáilte Ireland, and Cork City Council making up the remainder.

But we are aware of some of the waste
    CITY’S 6K A MONTH BILL FOR SKY GARDEN PLANTS

IT IS costing 6,000 euro per month just to store and maintain the trees and plants that will form part of the Sky Garden at Fitzgerald Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in Fitzgeralds Park today - the area of the park with the 'Sky Garden' looks very nice, with the new natural foods bakery open and a large seating area outside, it'll be lovely once all the diggers and workmen have vacated it....

The area with the childrens playground though is very run down I think. Are they doing up the whole park, bit by bit, or is it just the area by the Sky Garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Your property tax went into the setting up of irish water, and give them some starting capital.
    Thank you fine gael

Just to set the record straight. After Fianna Fail destroyed our economy they agreed to implement Water charges and Property Tax with the Troika. Fine Gael just had to abide by that agreement.

What i find particularly interesting is the fact that a lot of estates which were built during the boom already had the necessary man holes for water meters outside the houses. So this has been in the planning for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

kub wrote: »

What i find particularly interesting is the fact that a lot of estates which were built during the boom already had the necessary man holes for water meters outside the houses. So this has been in the planning for a long time.

They're not even using those (we have one) - they're putting new ones in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Have to say, the park looks splendid today. The front lawn and bandstand area is really nice and, as for the Skygarden, the kids seemed to like it. Terrific atmosphere down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Yup it looks class today! I can see it being pretty nice during the hot June/July days! Optimistic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

Most of the park is great.

However the hanging garden is an eye sore and a complete waste of money. Also, the pond badly needs a clean.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Noticed that the playground there is now a hole in the ground with a large mound of earth close-by. I assume it's being refurbished but haven't read anything about it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

opus wrote: »
    Noticed that the playground there is now a hole in the ground with a large mound of earth close-by. I assume it's being refurbished but haven't read anything about it anywhere?

A new playground.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/work-to-begin-on-new-e600k-fitzgeralds-park-playground/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

opus wrote: »

yup the bright sparks that they are in city council thought it was a GREAT idea to use the summer months to renovate the only children's playground in the city center.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yup the bright sparks that they are in city council thought it was a GREAT idea to use the summer months to renovate the only children's playground in the city center.... :rolleyes:

Ya at the same time as Ballincollig Regional Park is been renovated.

It is a play area, hole fills with rainwater...sure kids will have a great time in it.
    Everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

hoodwinked wrote: »

Well traffic is queiter in summer and days are longer so no point doing road works at this time of year. May as well use the extra capacity. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is a play area, hole fills with rainwater...sure kids will have a great time in it.
    Everyone wins.

I was just looking at the pictures thinking... is that a sand pit? In dog-walker land?

I wonder how long before that's a litter tray. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is mad, I wish there was someway you could actually stop them from doing this. Great idea but the park there is already lovely maybe could do with a few bits but certainly nothing that would cost this much

Advertisement