Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Louise Duffy Show

• 31-03-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Early days but what's the verdict so far on the new show?

I like it, good mix of music! Hoping for a few new features though and Ann Gleeson on air a bit too!

So far so good though in my opinion!

Lunchtime news is now at one instead of 12:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cringeworthy listening to it.

"There not a girl band, they play their own instruments"

Must switch over before my ears start to bleed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

Do Today FM have to name every new program The insert presenters name here show ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Tunes are good so far, nice mix!

sebcity wrote: »
    Tunes are good so far, nice mix!

I don't think the tunes were ever the problem with the Louise Duffy show. Listened to her in the mornings a good bit and never liked her. Very poor delivery. Should have stuck to the traffic bulletins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Overall I thought it was a very good start from her. I'd say the first few weeks will be just her getting used to the slot, getting regular competitions off the ground and slowly building a rapport with Ann. Hopefully some decent features will follow, think Ann's Showbiz Swipe has to be part of it in some way.

Great selection of music, hope she'll be given that much freedom all the time. Cracking first tune as well, even if Sinead clearly hadn't a clue what the song was when it started. :pac:

Not really a fan of this idea to move the news to 1pm, twas nice to get the news and sport just before heading off for lunch, now we'll miss it unless we're flat out and take a late lunch.

But yeah, a lot of positives for me today. Nothing that made me dread listening in every day or anything. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listening a bit live and then listened to the rest of it on the listen back.

It's what I've listened to at 6am as long as she was on early mornings, which is good that she hasn't tried to be something else at least today. I liked the music but that might be first day/week freedom but hopefully not.

At least Ann was acknowledged and yeah I hope Ann is an on air presence which she is very very good at.

So the rumour that the news was moving from 12:45 to 13:00 might work as I always felt it was too close to the midday news. today fm have their news on the hour and it should be the same all day IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Very very boring voice , couldnt get into show at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

She was excellent. First show, friendly, great music. Way better then the show she replaced tune wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

foreign wrote: »
    I don't think the tunes were ever the problem with the Louise Duffy show. Listened to her in the mornings a good bit and never liked her. Very poor delivery. Should have stuck to the traffic bulletins.

I like the fact that she sounds positive and enthusiastic, but it does irritate me that she never pronounces the 'g' when words end in 'ing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Just had a look at the playlist - seems to have been pretty good! I might have to listen in.

• Advertisement

I like the fact that she sounds positive and enthusiastic, but it does irritate me that she never pronounces the 'g' when words end in 'ing'

Not pronouncing the g is a thing loads of radio and tv presenters do in the this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shammer16

The lack of pronunciation of the 'g' hasn't bothered me to be honest. To buy enjoying the music!

As mentioned earlier, I hope that when Louise ha gotten to know her new audience a bit better, Ann will have more of an an on air role and they'll have a few more features, something like The Gauntlet? (Unlikely, I know!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I used to always listen to her early morning show, she sounds like a nice friendly person and the music is ok as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Music is excellent today, I'm liking Louise I have to say. Needs more Ann Gleeson though!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I'm guessing it's Colm of Sullivan who's looking after music across the station seeing as he's the new assistant PD ,it's hardly Louise's selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Music is decent but the rest is so bland. I lasted until about 1:45pm yesterday and 1:30pm today

Music is excellent today, I'm liking Louise I have to say. Needs more Ann Gleeson though!

Yes it does.

reg114 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's Colm of Sullivan who's looking after music across the station seeing as he's the new assistant PD ,it's hardly Louise's selection?

Wouldn't it be him in charge of the playlist songs though, as opposed to the entire selection of music for each show? I've always thought it was a mix of playlist and presenter's choices on Today FM shows.

Enjoying the show, but I wish she'd stop using the "It's a new show!" crutch. I get that it's only been 3 days, but she seemed to use it out of the news at 12 today for lack of anything else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Se1251an

The ya ya yas... Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

I have to say I'm quite enjoying the Louise Galvin Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

She is bit more relaxed today, music good but I think at end of the day the fact that that lamp is on 2FM at the same time will work in her favour. Music generally good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I haven't listened to her much, but did laugh when she giggled seconds after saying "My father came over Dolly Parton in a hotel" today :/

The music is fairly decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Tuned in yesterday for 10 mins and at least two cock ups,had to turn off my god when you think back to ray foley its like a different planet.

Yeah, 'cos Foley never made technical errors on air. :pac: :pac:

Seriously though, I think it'd be a bit unfair to hold that against her so soon tbh.

We had a discussion on the show today at lunch in work. Jury seemed to be very much out. Few people saying it's "meh", which I guess is understandable at this early stage.

The notable thing I took from the conversation was that two separate people, who I wouldn't have thought would be the biggest radio fans in the world, both said "Where's Ann Gleeson though?" :D

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, 'cos Foley never made technical errors on air. :pac: :pac:

Seriously though, I think it'd be a bit unfair to hold that against her so soon tbh.

We had a discussion on the show today at lunch in work. Jury seemed to be very much out. Few people saying it's "meh", which I guess is understandable at this early stage.

The notable thing I took from the conversation was that two separate people, who I wouldn't have thought would be the biggest radio fans in the world, both said "Where's Ann Gleeson though?" :D

You keep referring to 'at this early stage', like Duffy has only just presented her first ever shows, she's been presenting 5 days a week for the last 3 years ,she should be hitting the ground running as this new show is a carbon copy of her old one. Also why does she need to have Anne Gleeson, can't she host on her own?

She just comes across as an amateur, like she doesn't really belong there (which she doesn't imo). She's playing very good music but the chat and competition sections are far too fluffy. Such a massive step down from Foley and KC. Crazy decision by Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Synode wrote: »
    She just comes across as an amateur, like she doesn't really belong there (which she doesn't imo). She's playing very good music but the chat and competition sections are far too fluffy. Such a massive step down from Foley and KC. Crazy decision by Today FM.

In Today FM's defence they sort of need a woman in their lineup.

Ian Dempsey
    Dr. Raymond D'Arcy
    Tony Fenton
    Matt 'The Cat' Cooper

They need a woman to be fair

They didn't have a woman (main presenter) when Foley or KC were in the slot and it wasn't a problem

reg114 wrote: »
    You keep referring to 'at this early stage', like Duffy has only just presented her first ever shows, she's been presenting 5 days a week for the last 3 years ,she should be hitting the ground running as this new show is a carbon copy of her old one. Also why does she need to have Anne Gleeson, can't she host on her own?

It's an early stage for this particular show. I think she needs to be given time to put her stamp on the show, bring in her own features, her own style. The same way it took KC a good month or two after taking over from Foley to really bed in, the same way it took Foley a few months to bed in on 98.

I would assume (and this is just an assumption) that the idea is not to keep the format of her morning show, and to change it up completely.

As for Ann, why did Foley and JP need her? Why did KC and Lenny need her? Simple answer, she's obviously good at what she does and Today FM feel she'll be an asset to the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

In fairness to Louise, the KC show was pretty ropey for the first few weeks when he took over from Ray. Time will only tell if she is good enough at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

I reckon that someone has locked the playlister away in a cupboard because the music on the show is very, very good.

Best music selection on national daytime radio, without a doubt imo.

M83- Midnight City ffs, tune! :)

The music is good, but she couldn't be picking it herself, if she was she would have known not to talk over the vocal that comes in on the end of the new Coronas song she debuted. If she was playlisting her own show, she'd have known the song ends suddenly. I like Louise, bags of energy but she needs to slow down a little, she can be a little manic some times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

I have no idea who is picking the music so far there has been very little of the "a" playlist.
    Songs that you hear 3 or 4 times between 7 am and 4.30pm.

This playlist lark is a load of cack. It's lazy.
    I get a pain in my arse if I hear song more than twice in that timeslot that I am in work.

I have a concept whereby if Dempsey plays it then Darcy can't and so on during the day.
    Not only would I apply that to songs, I'd apply that to bands so that you get
    a clear 3 hours or so before there is any chance of repetition of music.

Anyways I hope that Louise carries on with the excellent music.
    Whoever is picking the music is doing a great job.

Unfortunately, the radio industry seems to operate on the assumption that people will only listen to one show, and that people tuning in for next show will get upset and turn off if they don't hear Clean Bandit... :rolleyes:

M83 and CHVRCHES today, I don't really care if she's picking the music or not, just don't go messing with whoever's picking them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She played The National and London Grammar on Monday, turned on today and Chvrches were on. Hope they don't go fecking around with after a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I've only heard a few minutes of the show yesterday and today but why does she keep referring to it being the morning! Your presenting a lunchtime show now Louise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I like Louise, I think she comes across as a nice, bubbly person. But the show so far is very vanilla. It’s really not much more than play a song, read a comment, play a song, have a competition and repeat. She needs to interact with Lenny and Anne, in fact I didn’t even realise Lenny was still there until she mentioned him a few minutes ago. I just don’t think it’s good enough for lunchtime radio. I find I listen to the whole show and then not remember one thing that was on it! But to be fair, I always felt the same way about KC. I still miss Ray Foley in this slot! Bits like the gauntlet made for fantastic radio. But to be fair to Louise, it’s early days and she may become a little braver as time goes on and the music is great, makes a change from the constant top 40 that the other daytime DJ’s play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lambayire wrote: »
    I have no idea who is picking the music so far there has been very little of the "a" playlist.
    Songs that you hear 3 or 4 times between 7 am and 4.30pm.

This playlist lark is a load of cack. It's lazy.
    I get a pain in my arse if I hear song more than twice in that timeslot that I am in work.

I have a concept whereby if Dempsey plays it then Darcy can't and so on during the day.
    Not only would I apply that to songs, I'd apply that to bands so that you get
    a clear 3 hours or so before there is any chance of repetition of music.

Anyways I hope that Louise carries on with the excellent music.
    Whoever is picking the music is doing a great job.

That format is used elsewhere and while it gets an audience, it loses the mass audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mikep

I've been pleasantly surprised by Louise, considering the image that KC seemed to project of a non chart playing dj..he played some amount of chart/pop rubbish..

I prefer the stuff she plays at the mo (except the obligatory hip/hop and rap, which I am no fan of)

Let's hope she keeps it up and resists the lure of the computer jukebox thingy which so many DJ's rely on (or are told to rely on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not pronouncing the g is a thing loads of radio and tv presenters do in the this country.

She's particularly bad at it . Especially "mornin" very annoying

She played my favourite Fountains of Wayne track a few days ago. Have never heard "Hackensack" on the radio before. :)

Is this her third week on air now? I reckon they're leaving Ann and Lenny out for a month to let people get accustomed to Louise without thinking she's just filling in for KC or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shammer16

Extra few hours of Louise today! Starting early and finishing at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Music play listing on the show is excellent - pleasantly surprised. Louise comes across well, little bit rushed but one annoying thing - She keeps crashing the bloody vocals on tracks. Really annoying, stop doing that and she's on a winner.

Enjoyed the Mario Rosentock bit today.

Overall, still enjoying the show, but seriously, Ann and Lenny need to be on air to make this good show a great show. Louise has mentioned them a few times now, so they must be working behind the scenes, so I don't understand why they're not being given time on air, even if it was just segment or two a show or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I have given the show the last 5 weeks or so but I just can't seem to grasp her as a presenter, the music is good but I just don't think as a Lunch Time presenter that she is doing enough to keep me listening. I now find myself switching over elsewhere when she comes on.

She was much more suited to the morning show as her bubbly voice is perfect for those waking up, plus I don't get up till 7 am so it suited me also.

Again, good music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Great music but very bland. And her over use of the term "coming up in awhile" is very annoying

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Great music but very bland. And her over use of the term "coming up in awhile" is very annoying

Said that myself. Everything is 'coming up in a while' or happening 'after a while'.
    Like Louise though, she'll get better and if Ann and Lenny come on-air it will only improve the show in general.

Ya never know though, what if Ann and Lenny don't want to be on-air? Or what if Louise said she'd rather go it alone? Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ofcork wrote: »
    Tuned in yesterday for 10 mins and at least two cock ups,had to turn off my god when you think back to ray foley its like a different planet.

If Ray Foley was any bit interesting you might have a point. That was one show that always had me reaching for the dial. Delighted he is gone from the airwaves here.

ofcork has a very vaild point. The Ray Foley show (on Today FM) was far more entertaining than the Louise Duffy show. More segments, more input from the rest of the crew, more all round fun. Louise is doing ok but the show is a little bland without input from anyone else.

And Foley isn't gone from the airwaves. He does a very good breakfast show on 98fm

• Advertisement
Advertisement