Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Louise Duffy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shammer16

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ann's been on air a few times recently. It's great when she's on, I think a show in this timeslot works best when there are people bouncing off each other as opposed to just one person.

Have to agree, one of the best things about the Ray Foley how was that there could sometimes be about 10/15 minutes where they would just have the craic with each other, almost as if they forgot they were on the radio. If Louise and Ann could do this more often it'd be brilliant!

Louise always says Ann always have some sort of story about what's happened the night before or at the weekend... Story time with Ann Gleeson, new feature?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

I honestly don't understand how Louise Duffy is still on the radio, still sounds nervous after a couple of months, gets tongue tied on a daily basis, nervously giggling every couple of sentences, and has a habit of shouting a lot, and her elongation of words does my head in. " Heeerree's Kings of Leeooooon'. A shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I honestly don't understand how Louise Duffy is still on the radio, still sounds nervous after a couple of months, gets tongue tied on a daily basis, nervously giggling every couple of sentences, and has a habit of shouting a lot, and her elongation of words does my head in. " Heeerree's Kings of Leeooooon'. A shambles.

A shambles is way way harsh. Tony Fenton sounds nervous when talking to callers. Ray D'Arcy mucks up technology every day. All the other DJ's I listen to on a regular basis (Dermot & Dave, Ray Foley, Beat FM Breakfast) can get tongue-tied.

Basically what you're saying is you don't like her presenting style. Hardly right to call the whole show a shambles.

I think you should talk to... Joe, Joe. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

First link of the show today "After awhile" was used! Shes starting too get in my nerves now with her silly giggling.

Ann has been on a lot today tho thats good. The famous 5 is finishing this week she said and not a moment too soon IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

MrMac84 wrote: »
    First link of the show today "After awhile" was used! Shes starting too get in my nerves now with her silly giggling.

Ann has been on a lot today tho thats good. The famous 5 is finishing this week she said and not a moment too soon IMO
    It's easy to criticise a radio presenters links like Louise Duffy. I'd like to see any of you doing her job and see how you got on. The best presenters make mistakes and our nervous. Nobody is perfect. I personally would not be able to do her job, but that's me.

There's an ad for Ford on YouTube before videos that's in conjunction with Today FM. Features Louise and Ann. It's well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The current ad for the show that's on about what they do during the lunchtime news is really good. Laughed out loud the first time I heard it, and it's not many ads that I can say that about.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The current ad for the show that's on about what they do during the lunchtime news is really good. Laughed out loud the first time I heard it, and it's not many ads that I can say that about.

Louise's ads have always stood out imo, even when she was on early morning. Always made me laugh as long as they weren't played around the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Louise's ads have always stood out imo, even when she was on early morning. Always made me laugh as long as they weren't played around the clock.
    "Get over yourself, Anton!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

I wonder has she been told to change the playlist. She seems to be just playing the same bland pop that the rest of them play now.
    Compared what she was playing when she first started in the afternoons, her current playlist could just as easily be on any off the other DJ shows on Irish radio.
    A little disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Louise would have had very little input into what the music policy on her show would have been, so any change lately would have been a decision taken by either the new PD or music director.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

reg114 wrote: »
    Louise would have had very little input into what the music policy on her show would have been, so any change lately would have been a decision taken by either the new PD or music director.

Ah. I did not know that.
    Is it not a little sad then that DJ's are just there to provide a breathing space between the loop of 10-15 songs that are played constantly throughout the day.
    Listening to the show at the moment and the music lineup is a complete and utter change from when she started in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

bloopy wrote: »
    Ah. I did not know that.
    Is it not a little sad then that DJ's are just there to provide a breathing space between the loop of 10-15 songs that are played constantly throughout the day.
    Listening to the show at the moment and the music lineup is a complete and utter change from when she started in April.

It's godawful. I can go a week without Today FM, then tune in and be able to pick out the songs that will be played to death across the day. At least Paul McLoone goes for different stuff when he's on.

bloopy wrote: »
    Ah. I did not know that.

Sadly it seems those 10-15 songs guarantee a greater listenership than an eclectic mix of quality tunes.

The Ed Sheeran feature was very enjoyable today. Good craic. Anyone else have sound issues though, I did. Today FM player is not the best today either. Almost sounds like a skipping CD now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yeh enjoyed it too. The sound for one of Ed's songs (think it was the first) was atrocious. But it improved

The show is growing on me. The music is varied and for the most part very good and you can drift in and out of the show while working. Looking forward to Dermot & Dave's new show which would fit in nicely at 2:30pm.

Really hope Tony recovers and gets a weekend slot.

Synode wrote: »
    The show is growing on me. The music is varied and for the most part very good and you can drift in and out of the show while working. Looking forward to Dermot & Dave's new show which would fit in nicely at 2:30pm.

I hope Louise gets the push too the 2:30 slot and have D&D at 12:00 the lunch time on today fm needs banter and humor and down right messing!! The lads been on at 2:30 as the lead into Matt Cooper wouldn't work, IMO

I think D&D could be going to lunchtime actually and maybe Louise going to 2.30. Something was said on Foley's NTN Podcast about them taking his old slot so you wouldn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

Ya, I think Louise and her show are moving to 2.30pm as she said something about Today fm giving her a new show on Twitter.

Makes sense I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Makes sense I suppose

Yeah,much better suited to that slot.

Ya, I think Louise and her show are moving to 2.30pm as she said something about Today fm giving her a new show on Twitter.

Link too the tweet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Why would she want a show on Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Louise doing the 2:30 slot would make far more sense tbh. She's a similar style presenter to Tony in that her show is best when it's music focused. A lunchtime show should be a bit of craic to get you over the hump of the day. Dermot and Dave would be well suited to that IMO. (with Ann ofc :) :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Phil Cawley must be kinda pissed thought, fecker seems to work his arse off for the station but can't get a proper weekday slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Why would she want a show on Twitter?

Beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

siblers wrote: »
    Phil Cawley must be kinda pissed thought, fecker seems to work his arse off for the station but can't get a proper weekday slot

I get the impression he's happy enough on weekend and the occasional "Phil-in" weekday stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I got to listen to the show all week and I think she is really good anyway from FNA and Saturday hits but paula macsweeney did brilliant and her and Ann have brilliant on air chemistry.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I got to listen to the show all week and I think she is really good anyway from FNA and Saturday hits but paula macsweeney did brilliant and her and Ann have brilliant on air chemistry.

Paula has a terrific personality but the voice would go through your head, she needs someone to tell her to calm down when on air, especially when talking to callers. She also made far too big a deal about it being an honour to cover all week for Louise, it was cringey. Paula can talk to beat the band but needs to slow things down big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Paula seemed very ropey, she's good craic but she kept getting her words jumbled up and never seemed to know what was happening after each segment. Her choice of music is very generic when compared to Louise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

These new wave of radio presenters that have popped up in the last 5, 10 years really havent a clue about music, they may as well be working in call centres or any job where their voice needs to be heard and projecting their voice. Are they really into the music they are told to play, especially the older music, most of them werent even born when these songs had already become classics.. They are bringing down the good name radio once had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

reg114 wrote: »
    Paula has a terrific personality but the voice would go through your head, she needs someone to tell her to calm down when on air, especially when talking to callers. She also made far too big a deal about it being an honour to cover all week for Louise, it was cringey. Paula can talk to beat the band but needs to slow things down big time.

Didn't hear her, but definitely agree re the voice and the need for calming down. I used to hear her on the Ian Dempsey Show, and could only listen to her in small doses.

Was only just reading there that Louise is up 5000 listeners on The KC Show in the last JNLRs. Fair play, but she is still making way for Dermot & Dave. I'm really enjoying her show I must say, but equally am looking forward to D&D. Hope she'll only be moved as far as 2.30.

http://www.goss.ie/2014/07/louise-duffy-is-moving-for-dermot-dave-and-bags-new-primetime-slot/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

I guess it's very awkward for today fm to confirm the new schedule due to the sensitive issue involved.

I guess it's very awkward for today fm to confirm the new schedule due to the sensitive issue involved.

I agree. It could be another few weeks before something definite is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

what sensitive issue? i'm very curious

I'm guessing Tony's sickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who are Dermot & Dave? Are we heading back to a Ray Foley type show at Lunchtime? Say it ain't so?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Who are Dermot & Dave? Are we heading back to a Ray Foley type show at Lunchtime? Say it ain't so?

I'm delighted to say it is so. Dermot & Dave have been on 98fm for years, first doing the breakfast show and in recent years the drivetime show. They're great craic.

What do you have against a bit of fun at lunchtime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm delighted to say it is so. Dermot & Dave have been on 98fm for years, first doing the breakfast show and in recent years the drivetime show. They're great craic.

A bit of fun but nothing too serious.

It will be a similar style show to Ray Foley in that it will be comedy and chemistry between the hosts-based more so than music or topically based. But I would say that Dermot & Dave are more accessible than Ray Foley was, he has been a divisive personality since The Blast. D&D will have a broader appeal imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nothing against fun, everything against Foley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Good interview with Tom from Kasabian there. Even though she made a couple of f-ups (saying Cardiff instead of Celtic!) it came across as though both were having good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

who was the signer songwriter that she had on earlier in the week?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think show has developed very well. She is far more confident as a presenter now and herself and Ann have a good chemistry. Glad to see her staying in a prime time slot.

Louise just said on air they'll be back in two weeks and will be filling in for Tony for a few weeks. So it's still just temporary then?

Louise just said on air they'll be back in two weeks and will be filling in for Tony for a few weeks. So it's still just temporary then?

Putting aside that Tony may be in ill health, personally I think Louise should be given the 2.30 - 4.00 slot permanently. I thinks she's shown enough now to be trusted with it. Great mix of chat and good music.

Should Tony return to Today FM I'd feel he'd be more suited to a chart show at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Brendão wrote: »
    Putting aside that Tony may be in ill health, personally I think Louise should be given the 2.30 - 4.00 slot permanently. I thinks she's shown enough now to be trusted with it. Great mix of chat and good music.

Should Tony return to Today FM I'd feel he'd be more suited to a chart show at the weekends.

Should Tony return to Today FM, LD would be more suited to a weekend chart show....

Advertisement