Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Louise Duffy Show

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Synode wrote: »
    Did she say she was off this week in her last show? Wonder what the plan is for the 2:30 - 4:30 slot now. I hope she gets it. It's easy listening, with decent music

It's telling that while Phil Cawley is covering that the stings coming in and out of ad breaks have been Louise Duffy Show ones. Before poor Tony passed they had been 'The Tony Fenton Show with Louise Duffy'.

I had always wanted Louise to take over the 2.30 slot, obviously not in these unfortunate circumstances, but I do think she is the right choice for the job.

As far as I can remember, she had taken last Thursday & Friday off and Paula was to cover for her. I would say then Today FM bosses felt it would be more suitable to have a steady hand and friend of Tony's like Phil to cover the show after Tony's passing. Having Phil on again this week give's Louise a bit of breathing room before she comes back. After all, her show is light and bubbly in tone, and an immediate return may have meant her show starting under a cloud (understandably of course).

If Louise does get the 2.30 slot then I wonder what will happen with The Mix-Up, will Colm O'Sullivan still move behind the scenes or stay on-air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can't listen to Phil Cawley so haven't heard the jingles. Been switching to Ray Darcy the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

they should put phil cawley permanantly back on that slot or a steady old pair of hands like jim o'neill, ian dempsey or bob conway and cut out the crap talk. louise duffy is no replacement for tony fenton. she is not a 'dj' just a media presenter.

I'll be switching off Today FM from 2:30-4:30 if Cawley gets it. He gets under my skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'll be switching off Today FM from 2:30-4:30 if Cawley gets it. He gets under my skin
    I wouldn't be that bad but i would switch elsewhere fairly often if he was back.

I don't mind him too much on the weekend but not every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Brendão wrote: »
    It's telling that while Phil Cawley is covering that the stings coming in and out of ad breaks have been Louise Duffy Show ones. Before poor Tony passed they had been 'The Tony Fenton Show with Louise Duffy'.

I had always wanted Louise to take over the 2.30 slot, obviously not in these unfortunate circumstances, but I do think she is the right choice for the job.

As far as I can remember, she had taken last Thursday & Friday off and Paula was to cover for her. I would say then Today FM bosses felt it would be more suitable to have a steady hand and friend of Tony's like Phil to cover the show after Tony's passing. Having Phil on again this week give's Louise a bit of breathing room before she comes back. After all, her show is light and bubbly in tone, and an immediate return may have meant her show starting under a cloud (understandably of course).

If Louise does get the 2.30 slot then I wonder what will happen with The Mix-Up, will Colm O'Sullivan still move behind the scenes or stay on-air.

She's on holidays, 99% sure she'll be back Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I wouldn't be that bad but i would switch elsewhere fairly often if he was back.

I don't mind him too much on the weekend but not every day.

He was removed from the daily schedule for a reason...............that reason is still there, he just ain't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

He was removed from the daily schedule for a reason...............that reason is still there, he just ain't good enough.

He was removed from the daily schedule because John Clarke offered Ray Foley a job on 2Fm so Willie o'Reilly had to give foley a daytime slot or let him go to 2fm

He was removed from the daily schedule because John Clarke offered Ray Foley a job on 2Fm so Willie o'Reilly had to give foley a daytime slot or let him go to 2fm

If he was good enough to be kept on the daytime schedule over Ray he'd have been kept, he wasn't.

Not that Foley is much to much either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

If he was good enough to be kept on the daytime schedule over Ray he'd have been kept, he wasn't.

Not that Foley is much to much either;)

Genuine question, where does phil cawley fall down? He comes across as likeable, he's got a nice voice, he's not opinionated and he knows the music he's playing. He interacts well with listeners or bands whenever they're on, so just wondering what someone like Louise Duffy would offer that Phil cawley doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

reg114 wrote: »
    Genuine question, where does phil cawley fall down? He comes across as likeable, he's got a nice voice, he's not opinionated and he knows the music he's playing. He interacts well with listeners or bands whenever they're on, so just wondering what someone like Louise Duffy would offer that Phil cawley doesn't?

I don't mind Cawley either. I don't get the hate that he gets on here! He's easy enough to listen to IMO. Personally I find Louise's voice a very acquired taste.

I don't hate him, i just don't think he's good enough for daytime national radio.

As for where he's from. He lives in Wicklow, were he grew up i don't know !

He's too cheesy for my liking. An example was his "PC in for KC" a while back when covering for the KC show. Said it with a smug glee all the time while he was covering and made me want to smash my radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He's too cheesy for my liking. An example was his "PC in for KC" a while back when covering for the KC show. Said it with a smug glee all the time while he was covering and made me want to smash my radio

Or his other one was "its Phil-in Cawley here till 4:30 today"

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I hope she comes back. I love her voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Phil Cawley is grand, good at his job but it's very generic and unimaginative, I guess he isn't much different than what Tony Fenton did in terms of his 2:30 show but Tony Fenton was just more natural, compared to the likes of Louise Duffy or Ray Foley etc he just isn't as much craic, no real features to his show, not very funny either, although I do appreciate his sheer honesty. He plays an awful lot of stuff from the 80s too and seems to play Thunderstruck on every show too. His "banter" with the newsteam etc. is also quite painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I don't listen to Louise Duffy anymore but I heard a promo for the show this morning. It was about a first date and facebook. If that is a highlight of the show and meant to entice people to listen, I am not missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Have to say, I really enjoyed her show when she first started in the 12 o'clock slot. Was playing great music and just keeping it simple. Finding myself switching off recently due to the more playlisted stuff on the show and maybe a bit too much 'humour', which I find a bit cringeworthy at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Still Ill wrote:
    Have to say, I really enjoyed her show when she first started in the 12 o'clock slot. Was playing great music and just keeping it simple. Finding myself switching off recently due to the more playlisted stuff on the show and maybe a bit too much 'humour', which I find a bit cringeworthy at times.

The whole text in the most annoying thing people do in the gym etc is getting very old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 EI209

Still enjoying Louise Duffy Show. Just wish they kept her at lunchtimes as I can't warm to Dermott and Dave, maybe because I was a big fan of the Ray Foley show way back when but it's like they're thing to be Ray Foley and JP but just aren't as good.

I find Louis easy to listen to and really like her cheery personality. Having met her in person once last year she is a genuinely a nice person and is very easy to talk to. I like this in a radio presenter - to me it seems like there is more of a connection with the listeners. A family if you want to put it that way. I just don't get that same feeling with D+D.

One thing I would say is Louise is a perfect example of why DJ's/Presenters should be given more freedom over what music they play. As was said in another post Louise has an excellent taste in music and this was shown when she played some really good music on the lunchtime show.

It really does show that her music is more playlisted now sadly.

Also have to give credit to the way Louise has handled taking over Tony Fentons old slot and put her own mark on it - especially since he sadly passed on. I'm sure Tony would be full of support for Louise now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Really enjoying her show recently. She had falled into the generic music trap for much of the summer, but in the last 6-8 weeks the musical choice ont he show has been very good. A nice balance of current pop and various classics of all genres (my major complaint is her horrific overplaying of Hosier)

Add that she seems a decent skin makes her very listenable to altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

gimmick wrote: »
    Really enjoying her show recently. She had falled into the generic music trap for much of the summer, but in the last 6-8 weeks the musical choice ont he show has been very good. A nice balance of current pop and various classics of all genres (my major complaint is her horrific overplaying of Hosier)

Add that she seems a decent skin makes her very listenable to altogether.

I think herself and Anne make a good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I think herself and Anne make a good team.

It sounds like too me they are really good pals off air aswell, wouldn't be surprised If they were both in the nearest boozer at 4:35 every Friday

Advertisement