Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugar cravings, how to phase it out?

• 31-03-2014 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi , I get cravings for chocolate, every few hours, I give in. Am fairly fit and not overweight, but I consume a lot of chocolate, probably an unsustainable amount. I'm wondering if there's any healthier substitutes, which I could use on occasion? and does the craving go away with abstention?.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

Read an article recently by someone who had similar cravings. He took two tablespoons of coconut oil each day after lunch. Felt full for hours after and didn't need anything else sugary for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check if you can find a fruit that fulfils you in a similar way?

=-=

Personally, I just cut it back to one chocolate bar a day. So I know I'll be having the bar after lunch, but not until then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭running the roads

Any suggestions as to such a fruit? and if so would it not be just as bad? :) if there's a lot of sugar in that?

Also any ideas for flavouring carrots?. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you get the cravings at the same time every day, try to think of something you could eat a little earlier to head off the cravings before you get hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I always used raisins to help curb chocolate cravings. Don't worry about the sugar content in whole fruits. There's plenty of fibre and nutrients to offset that.

Alternatively, stick to 85-90% chocolate. Although I could devour a truckload of milk chocolate, more than 1-2 squares of 90% and I feel sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im not a huge chocolate craver but I have the high cocoa chocolate and normally eat 2 squares with a handful of hazelnuts.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I second the coconut oil, just started using it the past couple of days on recommendation from holistic health and nutrition teacher and surprisingly didn't get any chocolate cravings today or yesterday. Which is weird for me. Have to give it another few days in case its a coincidence though, Ill check back in to confirm if its really a miracle! A less sugary sweet and easy dessert I sometimes have is apple and rhubard fried 5mins with some coconut oil and cinnamon and with a crumble of oats and mixed nuts on top, put in the oven for 15-25 mins.

Same teacher also recommended grapefruit to leave a bitter taste in the mouth which can prevent you wanting sugar, green tea as a treat in the evening instead of a snack, 1tsp coconut oil held under the tongue, fruit, spirulina for regulating blood sugar and apparently it can ward off sugar cravings too. All of these I will be trying, as I'm suffering with quitting sugar for lent (bar once a week slip ups and special occasions of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I used to drink regular coca cola a lot. Switched to coke zero and it tastes almost exactly the same (the aspartame debate is a different issue) and I haven't looked back since. My teeth don't feel like their coated in sugar anymore afterwards either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I used to be a complete chocolate fiend, eating at least one bar a day. I'm very active and have a good diet so it didn't matter a huge amount weight wise, but I didn't like the effect chocolate had on my mood, energy levels and skin.

Every Sunday evening I make these raw coconut and cacao bites to pop into the fridge at work:
    coconutballs_zps193b9328.jpg

Perhaps its the coconut oil, but these completely eliminate any chocolate cravings that I have. Since I started making these a few months ago, even the thought of having a normal chocolate bar sickens me a bit. They are so flavourless compared to these treats.

I got the recipe here, and sometimes add different nuts to mix it up a bit: http://deliciouslyella.com/raw-coconut-and-cacao-bites-vegan/

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

panda100 wrote: »
    I used to be a complete chocolate fiend, eating at least one bar a day. I'm very active and have a good diet so it didn't matter a huge amount weight wise, but I didn't like the effect chocolate had on my mood, energy levels and skin.

Every Sunday evening I make these raw coconut and cacao bites to pop into the fridge at work:

Perhaps its the coconut oil, but these completely eliminate any chocolate cravings that I have. Since I started making these a few months ago, even the thought of having a normal chocolate bar sickens me a bit. They are so flavourless compared to these treats.

I got the recipe here, and sometimes add different nuts to mix it up a bit: http://deliciouslyella.com/raw-coconut-and-cacao-bites-vegan/

link not working

• Advertisement

muirsheen wrote: »
    link not working

If you go to Deliciously Ella website, and look for Raw Coconut and Cacao. You basically put almonds,coconut oil, dates, raw cacao and cashew butter into a food processor and blitz for two minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Cool recipe, really want to try it out! On the cacao, is the the cacao nibs that I should buy, or the stuff in the jar? Sorry have not used it before!

How long do they last in the fridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

If you go to Deliciously Ella website, and look for Raw Coconut and Cacao. You basically put almonds,coconut oil, dates, raw cacao and cashew butter into a food processor and blitz for two minutes.
    Anyway to get this recipe writing without a food processor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

If you're on Facebook have a look at the Grab Life by the Kettlebells page. Loads of sugar free sweet treats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

where can I buy raw cacao??

Mimojo wrote: »
    Cool recipe, really want to try it out! On the cacao, is the the cacao nibs that I should buy, or the stuff in the jar? Sorry have not used it before!

How long do they last in the fridge?

I always use cacao nibs, rather than the cacao powder, I think the nibs are more natural and give a better taste. Though I have used the cacao powder and that is okay too. I just pick it up in the health food shop. One bag will last you ages.

I brought a food processor in Argos after Christmas. It was only 20euro and was honestly the best thing I ever brought. I make cauliflower rice, avacado-cocoa mousse and tasty Brazil nut-avacado pesto in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I always use cacao nibs, rather than the cacao powder, I think the nibs are more natural and give a better taste. Though I have used the cacao powder and that is okay too. I just pick it up in the health food shop. One bag will last you ages.

I brought a food processor in Argos after Christmas. It was only 20euro and was honestly the best thing I ever brought. I make cauliflower rice, avacado-cocoa mousse and tasty Brazil nut-avacado pesto in it.

Just made a batch of these this evening, got 18 balls in total from the batch, is that about right? They are absolutely gorgeous, thanks for posting! Hoping this will sort my evening chocolate cravings once and for all! Am grand during the day, just the evenings kill me, and always end up giving in and having something small, so hoping this is the perfect solution I think they are pretty high calorie so will be going easy on them, if possible as they are delish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Can normal cocao powder be used e.g Bournville rather than raw cacoa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Mimojo wrote: »
    Just made a batch of these this evening, got 18 balls in total from the batch, is that about right? They are absolutely gorgeous, thanks for posting! Hoping this will sort my evening chocolate cravings once and for all! Am grand during the day, just the evenings kill me, and always end up giving in and having something small, so hoping this is the perfect solution I think they are pretty high calorie so will be going easy on them, if possible as they are delish!!

I have all the ingredients now, bar the almonds. The raw cocao is in 1 lump - about the size of a cream egg? Have I the right thing?

Advertisement