Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lavendar

• 31-03-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi, last autumn i cut back my lavandar plants to about 5 inches as they had gotten quite woody. There's no sign of any growth yet this year but dont appear to be dead. I planted them originally about 5 years ago....is it time for new ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Lavender can get very woody and I find it doesn't last more than a few years. However it is early yet so growth is just starting , wouldn't give up on it for another month at least.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

thanks. they got a sprawly last year as well, wont rush into though and may give them another few weeks to prove themselves....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Lavender doesnt really like being cut back to the wood.

Its always a good idea to take a few cuttings during the growing season so if the plant gets woody or dies off you can dig it out and replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

chopper6 wrote: »

Its always a good idea to take a few cuttings during the growing season so if the plant gets woody or dies off you can dig it out and replace it.

Can you give a few more details on this process, please?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

prospect wrote: »
    Can you give a few more details on this process, please?

Thanks.

It's actually really easy.

With a very sharp knife cut off a six-inch length of new growth,cut the stem at an angle.

Strip off most of the leaves but leave the top two inches of growth intact.

Get a jamjar or similar and fill it with water....place your cuttings in it with the top three inches above teh waterline and leave in a sunny position on a windowsill.

Leave for a few weeks and you should see roots forming on the base of the stems.

When the the roots a few inches long pot the cuttings out into a potting compost and place in a sunny area to grow.

I've done this procedure dozens of times with lavender and rosemary and the success rate is about 80%.

The imporatnt thing,obviously is a)dont let the water in the jar dry out and b) take care not to damage the new roots when potting up the cuttings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Also very easy to grow from seed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

It's actually really easy.

With a very sharp knife cut off a six-inch length of new growth,cut the stem at an angle.

Strip off most of the leaves but leave the top two inches of growth intact.

Get a jamjar or similar and fill it with water....place your cuttings in it with the top three inches above teh waterline and leave in a sunny position on a windowsill.

Leave for a few weeks and you should see roots forming on the base of the stems.

When the the roots a few inches long pot the cuttings out into a potting compost and place in a sunny area to grow.

I've done this procedure dozens of times with lavender and rosemary and the success rate is about 80%.

The imporatnt thing,obviously is a)dont let the water in the jar dry out and b) take care not to damage the new roots when potting up the cuttings.

Just did this now so fingers crossed. Thanks

Advertisement