Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background checks-Microsoft

Options
  • 31-03-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've just been offered a job with Microsoft Ireland. My boyfriend seems to think that as part of my background check they'll want to see an original copy of my degree (not a copy). I don't think he's right, I think the background check is all about your working history and if you have criminal convictions etc... Don't really wanna have to go pulling out storage boxes to find my Certs if I don't have to! Anyone know exactly what's involved in a Microsoft background check??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

To do the check they will get you to sign something, giving them a right to access information. With this they can go to your uni and get your transcript. Presenting your original cert is not that useful since it could be a forgery.

They will check criminal record, and your academic history.

Also, these checks can take a long time. You might be in the job 6 months and they could be still checking (often outsourced).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Kiwiana,

(Mod edit)

Regarding background check, having worked for Microsoft, I can tell you that they will use a USA based company to do the check. Therefore they will do a USA criminal record background check. On top of this, they will look for FULL details of employment. Start date, finish date, and a contact in each job to verify. You will not have to produce your degree, but will have to give details of the degree course, and a contact in the college.

I promise you that having worked for Dell, Microsoft and now another USA multinational that you have nothing to worry about, as long as you didn't lie about previous employment, as well as the dates.

Congrats on the job, they're a great company! And f%$k the bedgrudgers, it's part of being Irish!

BH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Mod edit: Enough please!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was in my current company about 4 months when they did my checks, both references had moved jobs and were uncontactable, got some strange emails.

College dates, results not that important, employment history Over the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Regarding importance of degree certificate: it is not that important. I have never ever ever had to present my degree certificate, despite working for many multinationals. They did perform background checks however, which included confirming results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kiwiana1

So if your university isn't in Ireland but overseas I just need to give them faculty head details and they'll contact them directly? Also, I have a couple diplomas dating back to the mid nineties, should I dig up contact details for those as well do you think?

Thanks for all your help guys, your answers have been extremely thorough :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

its hard to know, my own company just looked for the last 5 years

So in that time i had done an additional degree, but my primary was more relevant to the job, they checked the more recent one and employment history.

However... i have heard of some companies and indeed some departments in companies going back a decade or 2 but no experienced that personally

Advertisement