Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OEM software question

Options
  • 31-03-2014 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I am buying a new PC and a mate will be building it for me. I just have a quick question about buying the OS. If I buy an OEM OS will that limit/pair the OS to the motherboard in this build? It is an emergency build and since I plan on doing a higher spec build in 12 -1 8 months time. I would like to able to install the OEM OS from the emergency build, into this higher spec build when it happens. But would pairing this OEM OS with a new motherboard be an issue? And if so, what kind of an OS license would I need to buy enable me to transfer it when I upgrade eventually.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

* Bump *

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

OEM Windows is tied to a specific motherboard. You can reinstall on a new machine but can't activate online.

You may be able to activate by phone. Supposedly if you tell Microsoft your motherboard failed they will allow one more activation on new hardware but under the terms of the licence they don't have to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Halfbaker wrote: »
    OEM Windows is tied to a specific motherboard. You can reinstall on a new machine but can't activate online.

You may be able to activate by phone. Supposedly if you tell Microsoft your motherboard failed they will allow one more activation on new hardware but under the terms of the licence they don't have to.

Mod: Lets not discuss anything that is in breach of the software license agreement. Remember activating in such a manner could make your pc become deactivated down the line.

Advertisement