Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not booting !! Please help

Options
  • 31-03-2014 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

My 3 year old laptop seems to have given up. Not booting.

I hit power button. Fan starts and after 4 sec it goes silent. No display nothing. Power off. Durin the on period only power LED lits. No hdd LED activity. I remove battery and put it on AC adaptor. Same behaviour but after 3 sec of switching off it turns back on again n keeps on after that. No display no HDD LED action.

Tried hard reset( keeping power button on without battery n adaptor for 60 sec) RAM removal but nothing worked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

tharmor wrote: »
    My 3 year old laptop seems to have given up. Not booting.

I hit power button. Fan starts and after 4 sec it goes silent. No display nothing. Power off. Durin the on period only power LED lits. No hdd LED activity. I remove battery and put it on AC adaptor. Same behaviour but after 3 sec of switching off it turns back on again n keeps on after that. No display no HDD LED action.

Tried hard reset( keeping power button on without battery n adaptor for 60 sec) RAM removal but nothing worked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Could be dead harddrive. They are relatively cheap. Have you got win 7/xp disc to re-install windows. Truth be told I have not seen these discs with any PC in a few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Damien360 wrote: »
    Could be dead harddrive. They are relatively cheap. Have you got win 7/xp disc to re-install windows. Truth be told I have not seen these discs with any PC in a few years

I am not even reaching BIOS .... Or the manufacturer logo....anyway to check if that is the problem. HDD kicks off after BIOS right ??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 roleplayer

BIOS then HDD, correct. if you are happy opening it up check for loose / broken connections. scorching / charring etc. are a good sign of this, also when powering on and off pay attention for the smell of very acrid smoke, the horrible smell of a MB burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could try removing the hard disk, if nothing else wrong it should boot to BIOS. If you've reseated RAM and tried each stick individually, and tried with and without battery, sounds like a motherboard fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Pull out the hard disk and the CD drive and see will you reach the BIOS.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You could try removing the hard disk, if nothing else wrong it should boot to BIOS. If you've reseated RAM and tried each stick individually, and tried with and without battery, sounds like a motherboard fault.

I am just wondering why diff behaviour with battery n direct AC power...could it b power supply issue ??

Switching on automatically after switching off !! Can the adapter b an issue ??

A bad battery can stop it working, had a HP Gsomething here a while back, complained about the battery but worked fine just on AC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Dodgy ram would cause that too

No Pants wrote: »
    Pull out the hard disk and the CD drive and see will you reach the BIOS.

Nopes...same issue w/o hdd n drive...

Dodgy ram would cause that too

Can i reach bios w/o RAM ?? Tried that but same issue

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Try a single stick of ram in either slot. No beeps of any description is a bad sign.

tharmor wrote: »
    Can i reach bios w/o RAM ?? Tried that but same issue

No

Try a single stick of ram in either slot. No beeps of any description is a bad sign.

Tried....but issue persists...

So i keep the laptop without battery overnight....try to boot in the morning and i am going thru to BIOS and manfctr logo...but nothing happens n the old issue starts again...

So a bad battery ??

Will try again usimg adapter tonight.

O.K so the problem is the faulty adaptor....giving out only 1.5 V against 19V.........ordered a new one and hopefully it will fix the issue !

Thanks to everyone who replied !

Advertisement