Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training

Options
  • 31-03-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am wondering can anyone give me so advice on this,
    I have started potty training my two year old little girl today and so far its have been a disaster, I have used the star chart but she has no interest in this, and I have given her lots of praise and kisses and cuddles when I got her on the potty to wee.
    Unfortunately I missed my chance a few times to get her to sit on the potty cue lots of accidents on the floor, towards the afternoon each time I tried to sit her on the potty she arched her back and screamed until she came off the potty.
    I am completely lost as to what else I can do.
    Help!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am wondering can anyone give me so advice on this,
    I have started potty training my two year old little girl today and so far its have been a disaster, I have used the star chart but she has no interest in this, and I have given her lots of praise and kisses and cuddles when I got her on the potty to wee.
    Unfortunately I missed my chance a few times to get her to sit on the potty cue lots of accidents on the floor, towards the afternoon each time I tried to sit her on the potty she arched her back and screamed until she came off the potty.
    I am completely lost as to what else I can do.
    Help!!

She might not be ready yet . maybe get her used to the idea of the potty 1st and keep it out in case she decides to use it then approach it again in a few weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

Moonbeam wrote: »
    She might not be ready yet . maybe get her used to the idea of the potty 1st and keep it out in case she decides to use it then approach it again in a few weeks .
    How would I get her used to the idea of the potty?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used to take it out when I was changing them,or if i was going to the loo ask them did they want to sit on the potty like mammy.
    I would then leave it in the kitchen/sitting room or playroom depending on where they were playing for use if they wanted it or needed it but no pressure but then when I decided it was time for potty training it only took a few days as they wanted to be big girls. They were about 2 years and 3 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

There are loads of cheap toilet learning books specific to girls or boys. We got about 3 from Amazon and used to sit on the toilet and potty to read one about once an hour. It only took a few mins each time, but between the sitting relaxing and seeing Mum doing it too, it clicked after a while. That said, initially a day with only 3 or 4 accidents was really good! I just bought a load of really cheap undies and trackies in Tesco and did a wash every night for a couple of weeks. It wasn't instant, but nothing with kids is! Also, he loved the Fisher Price singing toilet potty - didn't take to the standard type at all, but he'd wee all day to get that thing to sing at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The first few days when we were potty training I literally used to bring my daughter to the toilet every 15/20 mins. Had my alarm on and used to get her to sit and try regardless of if she said she needed to go. A pain in the neck but it seemed to work.
    We also didn't bother with a potty, went straight for the toilet so if she's not liking the potty you could try that.

Our star chart had about 10 stars per line so we used to give her a little treat like a small book or something from 2eur shop if she got the line filled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'd say leave it for a couple of weeks or months. In the meantime, what you could do is have the potty beside the bath or something, and encourage her to sit on it whenever you're getting her bath ready. This worked well for us because the sound of the water pouring in often encouraged her to go - although the first couple of times, my little one used to go 'oh no!' before she realised she was allowed to pee in the potty. :)

It meant that when I started training her, she knew what the potty was for and was used to sitting on it. We still had a nightmare of a day a couple of days into the process, and I did have to put nappies back on her for an afternoon and just take her out of the house for a few hours. But apart from that, the process was relatively smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

She may not be ready. Leave it a few weeks and try again maybe. Can she pull up and down her pants by herself?

Mine was potty trained and regressed back to nappies when she realised there was another baby on the way! Refused point blank to use the toilet or potty. I wasn't able to clean up all the puddles at 8 months pregnant, so I let it go.

As soon as baby arrived I just made sure there was a potty in whatever room she was playing in... And she used it herself straight away.

Advertisement