Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates of pay- trainee rate?

Options
  • 31-03-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job last week. Full time mon-fri (39 hours) on a fixed purpose contract for 2-4 months. When I was given the contract to read over and sign I was told the pay would be €300 a week, on reading the contract it says my rate of pay is €7.70 an hour. I haven't yet signed the contract as I don't think this is correct and I believe he was trying to mislead me by stating it verbally as €300 a week.

I'm 22, I'v been working for 6 years in a different field of work (retail) but nevertheless I'v been in continuous employment for 6 years. The new job is factory work, no qualifications or special training required, a days training and I was ready to go. I asked my HR manager about this rate of pay and he called it a trainee rate and all the summer staff get the same, from what I'v read about trainee rates there needs to be structured training in place and it's generally a trade you learn?

Don't want to cause trouble but I still want what I'm due but I need to get my facts straight before I stand my ground.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

From the Citizins Information Site:
    Trainees
    The National Minimum Wage Act also provides sub-minimum rates which apply to employees who are over 18 and undergoing a course of structured training or directed study that is authorised or approved of by the employer.

Since 1 July 2011 the trainee rates provided by the Act are as follows, see also 'Rates' below:

First one-third of training course €6.49 per hour (75% of national minimum wage rate)
    Second one-third of training course €6.92 per hour (80% of national minimum wage rate)
    Final one third of the training course €7.79 per hour (90% of national minimum wage rate)
    Note: each one third period must be at least one month and no more than one year.

The Act provides certain criteria which the training course must meet if the trainee rates are to apply. For example, the training or study must be for the purposes of improving the work performance of the employee; the employee's participation on the training or study must be directed or approved by the employer; at least 10% of the training must occur away from the employee’s ordinary operational duties; there must be an assessment and certification procedure or written confirmation on the completion of the training course.

Have to say it sounds liker your being messed around...

Advertisement