Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your set up?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Is this common with prime lenses? The AF is terrible on my 50mm. It's the main reason why I don't use it anymore.

I know my Nikon 50mm 1.4 has a lightning fast AF. A friend of mine has a Canon 50mm 1.8 and the AF is pretty decent. I've no experience with other primes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I started off with a Nikon d90 with a Nikkor dx 18-200mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8d, Nikkor 35mm 1,8d but upgraded last year to a D800 and added;

14-24mm Nikkor 2.8
    24-70 Nikkor 2.8
    70-200 Nikkor f4
    85mm Nikkor f1.8
    Zeiss 50mm f1.8 z2 planar
    Plus a range of lenses, flashes and tripod

Managed to get most from eglobal and a few through a few contacts to save cash.

D800 is a brilliant camera, and file sizes are great for post processing. However, I quickly found that good lenses were key for this camera due to the resolving power. I also have found that I am moving away from the zooms towards prime lenses as am on a hunt for better sharpness and quality at the apertures I shoot at.

One drawback is maybe size / weight (that fuji system looks awesome) but it's not bothered me to date, particularly with black rapid strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Is this common with prime lenses? The AF is terrible on my 50mm. It's the main reason why I don't use it anymore.

Not really, my 35, 135 & 300 are all lightning quick to focus. With the 85 in particular, there's just so much glass inside that it takes a lot of energy to focus it. You can't even manual focus it unless it is attached to the camera as it needs power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

D.S. wrote: »
    I started off with a Nikon d90 with a Nikkor dx 18-200mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8d, Nikkor 35mm 1,8d but upgraded last year to a D800 and added;

14-24mm Nikkor 2.8
    24-70 Nikkor 2.8
    70-200 Nikkor f4
    85mm Nikkor f1.8
    Zeiss 50mm f1.8 z2 planar
    Plus a range of lenses, flashes and tripod

Managed to get most from eglobal and a few through a few contacts to save cash.

D800 is a brilliant camera, and file sizes are great for post processing. However, I quickly found that good lenses were key for this camera due to the resolving power. I also have found that I am moving away from the zooms towards prime lenses as am on a hunt for better sharpness and quality at the apertures I shoot at.

One drawback is maybe size / weight (that fuji system looks awesome) but it's not bothered me to date, particularly with black rapid strap.

How are you finding the D800 regarding the ridiculously high pixel count? Even with expensive lens does it still show up defects? The D610 is often regarded as Nikons best camera and if I was switching to Nikon it's what i would go for. Did you ever consider going for the 610?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I have a Canon 6d with the following lenses:

Canon 24-105L f4
    Canon 17-40L f4
    Canon 85mm f1.8
    Canon 100mm macro f2.8

Hope to get the 70-200 f4 IS this summer

Have a Sony RX100 too. Great compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i can't stop shooting with my 35mm f/1.8 ..that's practically all i've been using this last month… *cough* on a d7100 body

:)

Wailin wrote: »
    How are you finding the D800 regarding the ridiculously high pixel count? Even with expensive lens does it still show up defects? The D610 is often regarded as Nikons best camera and if I was switching to Nikon it's what i would go for. Did you ever consider going for the 610?

Personally - I think the pixel count is great..I have printed a number of shots out in bigger sizes and love having the flexibility of the pixel count. It really hasn't been an issue. That said, I have a fairly new PC and house my files on a 2tb drive (not including back ups) and on that set up, I have never noticed an issue or difference in performance speeds .the only time where things have been tricky has been when I have attempted the brenizier method, where I needed to switch to jpegs. In terms of lenses, some lenses have looked soft to my eye on this camera but not on others - my 50mm 1.8d really frustrated me despite looking great on d90. Supposedly the G lenses are the only lenses that resolve correctly if the australian nikon sales staff are to be believed - not sure how true that is..apart from that one issue - all my other lenses have no issues, even after a heavy crop.

I did look at the d600 and d610 but I wasn't sure at the time whether the shutter / oil issues had been sorted and as eglobal where doing a great price on the d800 I went with that. In retrospect, I am glad I went with the 800, I shoot mostly landscape and portrait and the model suits me down to the ground (dynamic range and ISO performance is fantastic). The only time the camera struggles is when I shoot kitesurfing - not enough fps but you can mitigate it somewhat by knowing the sport and anticipating the shot - but not ideal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

D.S. wrote: »
    Personally - I think the pixel count is great..I have printed a number of shots out in bigger sizes and love having the flexibility of the pixel count. It really hasn't been an issue. That said, I have a fairly new PC and house my files on a 2tb drive (not including back ups) and on that set up, I have never noticed an issue or difference in performance speeds .the only time where things have been tricky has been when I have attempted the brenizier method, where I needed to switch to jpegs. In terms of lenses, some lenses have looked soft to my eye on this camera but not on others - my 50mm 1.8d really frustrated me despite looking great on d90. Supposedly the G lenses are the only lenses that resolve correctly if the australian nikon sales staff are to be believed - not sure how true that is..apart from that one issue - all my other lenses have no issues, even after a heavy crop.

I did look at the d600 and d610 but I wasn't sure at the time whether the shutter / oil issues had been sorted and as eglobal where doing a great price on the d800 I went with that. In retrospect, I am glad I went with the 800, I shoot mostly landscape and portrait and the model suits me down to the ground (dynamic range and ISO performance is fantastic). The only time the camera struggles is when I shoot kitesurfing - not enough fps but you can mitigate it somewhat by knowing the sport and anticipating the shot - but not ideal..

Yes I believe the dynamic range is excellent on the D800, almost to the point where you don't need bracketing. A friend of mine recently bought the D610 and the dynamic range on that is superb also. He did find it very user unfriendly though but that's probably down to having used Canon for so long. Thanks for letting me know how the camera is for you, have you posted any shots taken with it here on boards?

Yes I believe the dynamic range is excellent on the D800, almost to the point where you don't need bracketing. A friend of mine recently bought the D610 and the dynamic range on that is superb also. He did find it very user unfriendly though but that's probably down to having used Canon for so long. Thanks for letting me know how the camera is for you, have you posted any shots taken with it here on boards?

No worries fella - yep I hardly bracket anymore with the d800 - only in extreme conditions. I have posted a few pics up (all d800 shots) on the random photo thread - mostly over the Xmas / new year period and use a flickr site if you were thinking of inspecting body / lens combos. Have been working crazy hours last few months with day job so haven't posted much here - been focusing any spare time on family portraits for a family year book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

We use a Nikon gear in work as a most of our lab cameras and microscopes are F-mount. We bought in a D800 as a general lab camera and for a Schlieren rig I'm building. As a Canon user I find it's the most clunky thing I've ever used.

Myself I'm using:
    5D mkIII
    7D

24-70L f/2.8
    70-200L f/2.8 IS
    100 macro f/2.8 (non-L)
    Sigma 10-20
    Zenitar 16mm
    50 f/1.8
    580EX II

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeGrand!

Canon 6D
    Canon 1D MKII

Canon 24-105 f/4L
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I've owned a canon 1000d, 40d, 7d, 5d MKII, 6d, fuji x100 and a fuji x100s over the years.
    The fuji xt1 is by far my favourite

That says alot.
    I sold all my canon gear a few weeks ago to switch to fuji.
    I've now have a X-T1, a 10-22mm f4, 23mm f1.4, 27mm f2.8, 56mm f1.2 and a older 135mm f2.8 FD via an adaptor.

Do you find you use a particular lens more than the others?
    I saw some beautiful pics from the 56mm... want it badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

That says alot.

Do you find you use a particular lens more than the others?
    I saw some beautiful pics from the 56mm... want it badly!
    If I'm out for the whole day I go for the 27mm for portability. Landscape stuff is the 10-22m but otherwise the 56mm is my go to lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

Currently have access to loads of cameras in work but usually use either OMD/GX7 bodies with my existing M43 lenses

Soon to be a proud owner of the 4K guzzler that is the GH4!!

Then my pennies will be going towards a 42.5mm (85mm) F1.2 Nocticron!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Seems to be a strong preference here for a 5D or 6D body, with a 27-70mm/24-105mm, and a 70-200mm.
    I think I need to upgrade to Full Frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Zascar wrote: »
    Seems to be a strong preference here for a 5D or 6D body, with a 27-70mm/24-105mm, and a 70-200mm.
    I think I need to upgrade to Full Frame.

Why? Because everyone else is using FF? Doesn't make any sense if that's the case. You choose your equipment to suit your subject matter, style of shooting and your pocket.

Nothing else matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I have a
    Canon 6D
    Canon 5D markI
    canon 50 f/1.4
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (my workhorse)
    Canon 135 f/2

canon speedlite 580ex with hähnel triggers and a Westcott Appollo 50"x50" Softbox for indoor stuff.

If I'm out for the whole day I go for the 27mm for portability. Landscape stuff is the 10-22m but otherwise the 56mm is my go to lens.

Any reason you didnt buy the 35mm?

It seems reasonably priced at around 500 Euro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Why? Because everyone else is using FF? Doesn't make any sense if that's the case. You choose your equipment to suit your subject matter, style of shooting and your pocket.

Nothing else matters.

I have my reasons thank you. I also have a 24-105mm and a 70-200mm lenses. However I find the 24-105 not wide enough. FF would solve that. I could also benefit from better high iso performance. But the fact is that this type of setup is popular for a very good reason.

There is no need to be so arsey in your reply.

Any reason you didnt buy the 35mm?

It seems reasonably priced at around 500 Euro.

35mm on my fuji would be equivalent to 50mm on a FF. I've never really liked 50mm. Too narrow for indoor shots / landscape and not long enough for portraits / candid stuff

• Advertisement

35mm on my fuji would be equivalent to 50mm on a FF. I've never really liked 50mm. Too narrow for indoor shots / landscape and not long enough for portraits / candid stuff

Thanks answering. For the 35mm 1.4 how do find the sharpness? I read some reviews criticising it and some praising it.

Thanks answering. For the 35mm 1.4 how do find the sharpness? I read some reviews criticising it and some praising it.

I don't own a 35mm. The 23mm f1.4 however is awesome

I don't own a 35mm. The 23mm f1.4 however is awesome

Thanks. Sorry, I meant to say 23mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Nikon D50 (yes still) and old Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lens. V nice.

Hasselblad 500CM with Zeiss 80mm lens & Kiev88 copy of Hasselblad with 50mm & 80mm lens.
    In fairness the nikon is a lot less to carry and will do for work,the other ones are for tripod or that special occasion. They weight is a lot..
    Anyone else here use similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

I used to shoot with Fuji x100 a greta camera though.
    Now Nikon d7000, Sigma 17-55mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 great camera not really need FX body yet but sooner or later will have to upgrade.

Advertisement