Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewferm Triple Kit

Options
  • 31-03-2014 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever make this?

Just ordered one. Can't seem to pin down exactly what fermentables come with the kit and what I need to add?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Triples usually have a good portion of simple sugar (10-20%, table is fine), they will probably expect for your to supply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

you can sub the belgian candi -sugar it asks for for golden syrup or i have made it with around 700g demerara sugar or the likes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I bought one and it turned out really good. Not far off chimay imo! you have to be prepared to wait a few months though. Only now after 2months for me is it carbonated and tasting great
    Candi sugar came with it and nothing other than what was included was needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

adamski8 wrote: »
    I bought one and it turned out really good. Not far off chimay imo! you have to be prepared to wait a few months though. Only now after 2months for me is it carbonated and tasting great
    Candi sugar came with it and nothing other than what was included was needed

Have red some places advising to add a lb (nearly 500g) of light DME.

What the hell would that do to the abv in a small kit though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

gosplan wrote: »
    Have red some places advising to add a lb (nearly 500g) of light DME.

What the hell would that do to the abv in a small kit though?

Ah sorry guys i was talking about an all grain kit. Disregard my last comment so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

When I did the Brewferm Grand Cru I need to add Dextrose and Golden syrup. I presume it's the same with the Triple. Research I did at the time said not to use DME. Think that it was 400g dextrose and 180g Golden syrup (all that I had at the time) for the standard 11L kit. turned out about 7.9%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So I brewed this about a week ago with about 850g of Golden Syrup.

OG was 1074, now down to 1014 and I racked to a clean secondary this morning. I think that makes it about 8.3% so far with a bit to go :)

Gonna give it another week or so and maybe crash cool for a couple of days before priming and bottling.

I know crash cooling makes no difference bar the appearance but I figure I may as well.

One thing I learned from this kit is not to double up just cause it's 9L. My FV is 25L and the yeasty brew head rose to nearly fill it with a single 9L kit. If you doubled up, it would overflow. Also use a big FV for primary regardless.

I gather that this beer is all about conditioning in the bottle so it's just a matter of leaving it till early August or so before drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

fyi .i had another brewferm i think the abidj (belgian double about 6.5%) ... i left it mature...drank a bottle every few weeks.. after 6 months it had reached peak . found a bottle about 2 years later and carbonation was really smooth tiny tiny bubbles like you'd get in a commercal double

Advertisement