Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cloud computing advice

• 31-03-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,
    i've been holding onto the idea/approach of local storage for all my photos and doc's etc up until now.
    but i'm coming round to the idea of using some of the services like dropbox and google drive etc. whats the best and most convenient approach to this. i run a pc and laptop on windows 7 pro, and am happy with the interface. i've an android phone, and an ipad witht eh required apps. but where to start?
    i've doc's, and photos, and some music, videos. contacts are already online and on the phone syncing as normal. and i like that system of gmail.
    is there a way to have the docs/photos etc sync like that using the apps above?
    if i move the documents folders, and then the pictures folder and then videos from the pc's explorer into drive and or dropbox, will that work this way? which is best regarding privacy etc. i'm not a social networker at all, and have no interest in that area as yet, so its convenience and reliability, married to privacy and security in case of hard drive problems in the future i'm thinking.
    any advice is greatly appreciated. and if this is too vague please direct me in questioning so i can learn from your experience, please!

thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

DriversEd wrote: »
    hi,
    i've been holding onto the idea/approach of local storage for all my photos and doc's etc up until now.
    but i'm coming round to the idea of using some of the services like dropbox and google drive etc. whats the best and most convenient approach to this.

Just install Google Drive or Dropbox to your PC and save files there. If you want all your Documents files to be saved to Google Drive, change the location of your Documents folder (right click on Documents folder, Properties and change to your Google Drive folder.

http://www.paulspoerry.com/2012/automatically-backup-my-documents-folder-to-google-drive/
    i run a pc and laptop on windows 7 pro, and am happy with the interface. i've an android phone, and an ipad witht eh required apps. but where to start?

Just use the same cloud storage provider on each device and they will sync together. Perferably try not to use Dropbox and Google Drive because no doubt you will get confused between them.
    i've doc's, and photos, and some music, videos. contacts are already online and on the phone syncing as normal. and i like that system of gmail.
    is there a way to have the docs/photos etc sync like that using the apps above?

See above
    if i move the documents folders, and then the pictures folder and then videos from the pc's explorer into drive and or dropbox, will that work this way?

You can redirect your folders to Google Drive, or if you drag them yes they will be saved to Google Drive.
    which is best regarding privacy etc. i'm not a social networker at all, and have no interest in that area as yet, so its convenience and reliability, married to privacy and security in case of hard drive problems in the future i'm thinking.

If you're concerned about privacy, don't use a cloud provider. If you want peace of mind that your data is safe then it is safer to use the cloud than to use a hard drive. If you do, you can use encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

worried about privacy then get a NAS and encrypt locally.
    In saying that I am still waiting for one of the big players to get hacked(publicly). It's their busy to keep data safe.

Personal I have 4 backup solutions. Cloud, local, NAS, another NAS.
    cloud is dropbox but I am moving to Google as they dropped the price to like €2.5 p/m for 100GB( I only store stuff like photos and college doc/projects in the cloud)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 martindoran

well live drrive have a 14 day free trial so you can see what your getting and how it is used , it i 4 euro per month but unlimited storage ,im 99% sure you can upload your files from different devices too . but if you have data under 25 gb google drive is free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

I read this regarding privacy and the big cloud providers. Good infographic at the beginning and then lots of detailed info to dig into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

clansman wrote: »
    worried about privacy then get a NAS and encrypt locally.

Just make sure that's backed up remotely too, otherwise you're done for in the case of multiple hard drive failures or a fire. The remote backup should be encrypted.
    In saying that I am still waiting for one of the big players to get hacked(publicly). It's their busy to keep data safe.

Hacks are only one factor, there's also intrusions by provider staff to be considered, since the vast majority of cloud providers retain encryption keys, and government siphoning of data.

I use ownCloud in a VPS on my own server, but I'm privileged to be able to do that. It's definitely something the privacy conscious should consider though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement