Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about a heavy mechanic apprenticeship

• 31-03-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I'm 16 now and I'm finishing school next year. I was thinking about doing a heavy machinery apprenticeship in lorry's or farm machinery. If any of ye knows anything about this can ye please tell me. E.x. wages. Tools. And such
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Great trade...more interesting than cars IMO
    Terrible pay though:( for the knowlage involved

don't even dream of finishing school without your cert & if possible do a little of physics really helps give good base in electronics (everything going that way-don't get left behind starting off)

do your leaving cert....you have all your life to be a mechanic...very few ever go back to do a leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I don't know if it'd interest you but I trained as a Marine Engineer. Real heavy engineering - 2.5* ton pistons & you could be facing 6-9 of the buggers.

It's not an apprenticeship, it's a 3 yr college course & your coming out with a level 7 degree. The academic side of it wasn't bad when I was there but that's a long time ago - best bet is to ask on that would be the CIT forum. The college - National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI) is based in Cork so its affiliated with the CIT

It'll give you a huge knowledge of engines - I studied their design and manufacture in later exams - as well as a lot of related equipment. A lot of my friends & I are finished with the ships now & we seem to easily slot into pharmaceutical companies, the oil refinery, power plants, the Navy so there is different paths you can take

The money would be ok £20K sterling is what the starting wage is now I THINK, but that'll be tax free as long as your out of the country for more than 6 months so it's good wages for your early twenties when you qualify.

* = Nope, not a typo - two point five tons

Advertisement