Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I suit a career in IT?

Options
  • 31-03-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a few questions about working in IT and studying Business Information Systems (or any similar degree).

I have always used computers with ease, something just clicked and everyone tells me it is an area I should definitely get into. When I looked into a degree within IT it confuses me more. It is not that I wouldn’t be capable of doing it or wouldn't enjoy the challenge, I just feel I don’t understand it all enough to know if it is really right for me. For example I would love to hear from people who work in different roles in the industry and what they entail, which might make me understand if I could imagine myself doing any of them.
    The qualification I am studying now includes a module in Database and I love it, I told everyone I found the project really easy when they asked me how it was going and they looked at me like I had three heads.
    If there is anyone that could give me an insight into their job in IT and maybe what job they first started in out of college I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Have you considered working in your college Helpdesk?

There are a lot of different areas in IT. I guess it just depends on the person.

For instance, not everyone likes programming. It just makes them hit their head against a brick wall.

Others prefer to manage systems. You could work in quality control/testing, web development, database management, project management, IT support etc. There are others but really it depends.

There is more of a demand for programmers and I think to be honest IT can be over rated in terms of employment. Experience is sought after I'm told.

Have you considered doing a crash course on a programming language and see where that takes you?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

I work in the industry and stating that I work with IT or I am IT guy.. this is way to broad... It doe snot define anything when you actually trying to work in the industry.

There are several roles or areas that you will see that are very specific.. likes of programming (from coding, design/archtecture and debugging); db dev and maintenance; management and administration; systems architecture and design and than lots of support roles that can go into the areas I mentioned.

The good this about the industry is that you always have chance to evolve and grow into a management role. Likes or team managers or even project management.

I would say you try some buddy-up session, both at college or even requesting the college to allow you spending a week on some company premises.

At least that is my feeling..

Advertisement