Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmolive Shave Stick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I got another stick in tesco earlier, loads of cream available aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There are none in my local tesco. Superdrug on the other hand have a decent amount. So I got 5, for a whopping €4.75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

hitemfrank wrote: »
    There are none in my local tesco. Superdrug on the other hand have a decent amount. So I got 5, for a whopping €4.75

That's expensive!
    They are 65c each in Tesco.

I know, total rip off at the price I paid for them :D

My local Tesco hasn't had them for close to a year now I reckon but I have more than enough now. Think I might have about 10 of them at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just bought another 3 to add to the few lying around at home. That should keep my face looking clean for a few years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Picked up a stick and the cream in Tesco Athlone they had loads of sticks in stock. Will try them and out and stock up on them if I like it. The stick will be a good travel option anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

I picked up a couple of sticks and creams and used the cream earlier and found it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

I mould them into a shaving mug. I find using them easier that way.

Just thought I would update this thread with some information I saw posted on a different site. Turns out Palmolive have stopped manufacturing most of the shaving line in the UK, apart from their shaving gel.

Here is a copy of an email someone got back from Palmolive.

The production is stopped only in UK but not in Germany. So, I suppose there shouldn't be any problems with its availability here in Ireland.

It will depends if places here were supplied by the UK factory or Germany. My local Tesco hasn't had any in about a year so they won't be getting any in from Germany. There and Superdrug are the only places near to me that sold them. Getting them online is probably the best bet going forward for some.

• Advertisement

It will depends if places here were supplied by the UK factory or Germany. My local Tesco hasn't had any in about a year so they won't be getting any in from Germany. There and Superdrug are the only places near to me that sold them. Getting them online is probably the best bet going forward for some.

Yes. Even getting online is also an option unless its production is stopped in Germany too. Another option if Palmolive stick is unavailable by any means is to go for Arko soap sticks online. In that case, I know there could be an issue with the different brand though.

Arko sticks are actually something I can get locally. I would pick them up but I'm not a fan of the smell of them. Their performance is great though.

Arko sticks are actually something I can get locally. I would pick them up but I'm not a fan of the smell of them. Their performance is great though.

May I know where can one get Arko shaving sticks locally in Ireland and if possible particularly in Cork and about its price too?

The only place I've seen it is in a 'Costless' store in Dublin. I'll be near enough to it tomorrow so I could drop by and see how much it is.

Actually, if there are any Turkish barbers around Cork it might be worth trying them.

Actually, if there are any Turkish barbers around Cork it might be worth trying them.
    I found a place on Amazon Germany where Arko shaving sticks are priced cheapest. That seller posts free to ROI. He has various other products too.

That's a bargain if you're a fan of Arko.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Palmolive sticks reduced to 33c in Tesco Navan this week, presumably as now end of range. Have (far in excess of) plenty already, and actually prefer Arko TBH, but at that price who could resist a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

What's the best way to use these sticks? Is it wet face, rub stick, use brush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

uberalex wrote: »

rub it on a wet face and use the brush to get a nice lather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Tigger wrote: »
    rub it on a wet face and use the brush to get a nice lather

That's been my approach so far, I do find it a great way to shave.
    I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going totally wrong. Thanks!

uberalex wrote: »

Grate and mould the stick into a shaving bowl (or any container of that size) and use it as a soap by rubbing the shaving brush against the moulded soap. I had the same problem like you but used the method mentioned above and it solved my problem. This videos might help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Obviously Tesco anxious to get rid of discontinued stock - I bought about 4 sticks at 65c I think when heard they were to be discontinued, a few more when they were reduced to 33c, down to 16c today and had to but a few more; now on verge of creating Palmolive mountain!

you can still get these in Tesco (not all stores but the bigger ones usually have them e.g. Dundrum). think they are 1.65 or something like that these days. I've used plenty of other soaps but just stick to this now as it does the job very well. Boots do a soap stick that is sh1t but it comes in a plastic handy stick holder that I put my palmolive soaps into now (http://www.boots.ie/boots-original-shave-stick-50g-10094848). it's worth buying for the holder. imo not worth the hassle of moulding the palmolive soap into a bowl - this product works best when put directly on via the stick onto a wet face/neck and lathered up with a good brush (definitely not the palmolive brush which is crap but ok to start out I guess).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I got a couple of empty plastic twist up sticks with cap and grated up a few sticks into each. As you say, best soap out there for the cost.

I got a couple of empty plastic twist up sticks with cap and grated up a few sticks into each. As you say, best soap out there for the cost.

the boots stick needs no grating - has plastic spikes at the bottom that you just push the palmolive stick into. just peel down the foil as you go. worth 2 euro to get one for the convenience.

Advertisement