Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP RIP - Arrrggghhh!

Options
  • 31-03-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

OK, so I am late to the party here, but I just found out today that Microsoft is ending its support for Windows XP next week. I've been reading a couple of articles about what exactly will happen to my laptop if I keep running it on XP after April 8th, and, quite frankly, I'm now in a bit of a panic!

I don't know a whole lot (anything) about the technical side of things - all I know is that while my laptop is getting on a bit it generally works fine and I'm very happy with XP. I use Windows 8 for work and I hate it so really don't want to resort to buying a new laptop with windows 8 on it. A Mac is out of the question at the mo as I don't really have the funds.

So, can anybody who knows anything about this (since I don't) shed some light on whether I have to stop using my XP laptop next week? This is the laptop I use for everything by the way - banking, downloading etc. etc.

I have an anti-virus etc. but I don't know if that's going to save my laptop after next week!

Is it totally insane to keep using XP after April 8th?

Is my only option to fork out for a laptop with the dreaded Windows 8? I had a look on PC World earlier and all the laptops seem to come with Windows 8 now - so I guess 7 is no longer an option?

Help! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Your PC will work as normal, nothing will happen to it on the 8th.

What is happening is that there will be no further (unless critical) updates to the OS from Microsoft.

Some newer versions of the applications you have may not be compatible in the future.

Nothing to panic about. You've got a good few years left out of your PC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭greasepalm

it just means no more updates as my lappy and desktop are both xp and will keep using them for the moment,have got a windows 7 desktop and lappy when needed someone told me w7 can be done ??

ah nice as i use a 5-1 on my desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

plus the fact that $soft has done a deal with the chineese gov to keep their billion plus xp os up to date,it will not take long for them to filter out on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

colm_c wrote: »
    Your PC will work as normal, nothing will happen to it on the 8th.

What is happening is that there will be no further (unless critical) updates to the OS from Microsoft.

Some newer versions of the applications you have may not be compatible in the future.

Nothing to panic about. You've got a good few years left out of your PC yet.

Thanks! But what about spyware/malware hack attacks (is that even a term?!) etc? I read an article earlier that said anyone who keeps using XP after next week is looking for trouble from these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

CarrieLee wrote: »
    Thanks! But what about spyware/malware hack attacks (is that even a term?!) etc? I read an article earlier that said anyone who keeps using XP after next week is looking for trouble from these things...

If I were you, I'd either look into upgrading to Windows 7, or if you only need the machine for basic web browsing/emails/Office etc. check out a free Linux distro such as mint.
    In all honesty it's going to be a bad idea to keep XP going after EOL kept on the Internet. Many people will continue using it which will make it a more attractive target for virus/malware writers.
    Also, unlike ignorant opinions spouted online, windows 8 is not all that bad. It is essentially a more secure and quicker windows 7, and can have a "classic" start menu configured as easy as installing this download. If you do go for a windows 8 laptop, don't worry about it. It's not that bad..

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

As Nick mentioned, a cheap and cheerful option may be to go download and install a Linux operating system.

One of the most widely used Linux OS is Ubuntu. I've started using CentOS and like it, I liked Mint also. Centos and Mint are very similar.

The Ubuntu community have great documentation on how to install it. It has Firefox/VLC/LibreOffice/Thunderbird/Adobe Flash etc in the software library.

You can always try it without installing it or go back to Windows if you hate it.

Microsoft will be releasing final updates for XP in April. It will be May when exploits become an issue in XP because they wont get patched. An advantage of which Linux has is that it is maintained by a community so any exploits are quickly spotted and patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

As mentioned, it won't stop working.

There will no longer be updates provided on 'Patch Tuesday' of each month.

Less and less new software and hardware will be tested and have drivers for it.

Using internet explorer 8 (or lower) to browse the internet really really should be avoided. (but that's been the case for years).

If you have a home business that involves handling credit cards then not upgrading would be a violation of the PCI-DSS rules. I'd say you've got an obligation to upgrade if you are storing anyone else's contact details on your machine.

Assuming it's just your family machine, then you should be more diligent about running a good (paid) antivirus scanner + firewall, and backups.

We won't know how real the talk of 'black hat hackers hoarding exploits' is for few months. End of support didn't make a dramatic difference to windows 2000.
    On the other hand plenty of supported windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 users have spent years using infected machines already, oblivious.

Regarding windows 8, I've to put up with non-techie colleagues who with 6 months use still complain vociferously about getting dumped into metro apps.
    It also has an irritating habit of stalling, for a minute+ when hitting Ctrl-alt-del. (i7, with no user programs running )
    And those fullscreen screen takeovers to drive you to the windows store to install 8.1, and those forced timed update restarts have caused me to switch off automatic updates :-/

Problem with Win 7 is acquiring a legal working version as a home user. Not supposed to use OEM. Upgrade versions cost stupid money on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The main thing to do after April 8th is NEVER use Internet Explorer in XP again. The web browser is the most easily targeted area of your OS for malware, so steer clear of IE - use Firefox or Chrome, and make sure its updated to the latest version at all times. Also disable any Java plugins in your browser, keep your antivirus up to date, and run regular scans with Malwarebytes. Also, set up a new user account as a "limited" account rather than computer administrator, and use that.

EDIT: On the Linux thing, my suggestion would be Lubuntu. Its menus are quite similar to XP, its free, and it'll run very well on old systems. There's free equivalents for any Windows program, and there's no real need for antivirus protection in Linux either. Probably the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PropJoe I've already done most of what you suggested so hopefully I'll be OK for a while. I might look into Lubuntu too. (Have never heard of it before yesterday, but it seems to be a popular choice from what I've read online.)

Yoyo, I use Windows8 on my work computer, so I am familiar with it, just not a huge fan. I'll definitely look into downloading that classic start menu you mentioned. Thanks for the help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Lubuntu and Ubuntu

They are largely the same with subtle differences with the main exception that of its default windows environment in use, Lubuntu uses lxde while Ubuntu uses its own Unity window environment.

Some other Linux suggestions for XP users are Zorin OS which is another Irish distro and is specifically designed for the Microsoft user for easy migration over to Linux and Elementary OS, another Debain/Ubuntu based distro, which I currently use daily.

And from next week, Win 98 will be actually safer to use online than XP..

which would you recommend Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint or Centos

faolteam wrote: »
    which would you recommend Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint or Centos

I have introduced ZorinOS to my Uncle (who is in his 70's), my Brother and a girl I live with, who are all not tech savvy, and all really like it.

If you have 1GB of Ram or less I would probably recommend lubuntu as it really is light on resources.

That's the beauty of linux, there is such choice.

And here is another option, Jolicloud, it's simiilar to chromiumos, actually was out before it I think, and it does work quiet well on old machines and very easy to use.

Have fun...

im using a Dell Vostro 1500 xp

do u have to uninstall xp from laptop? what happens all your documents that are on microsoft word will they just go on libre ???

Sure try lubuntu, you can burn straight to DVD or a USB flash drive with UNetbootin and you can even run it without installing it on your computer.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Sure try lubuntu, you can burn straight to DVD or a USB flash drive with UNetbootin and you can even run it without installing it on your computer.

when u say burn straight ?

do i not uninstall xp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

do i not uninstall xp ?

You can boot straight from the CD or USB and either go straight to the desktop from there or you get the option to actually install it if you want

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

colm_c wrote: »

There will be no updates. Companies who have paid for further support will receive zero day patches. Normal Windows XP machines will receive nothing.

When support ended had for Windows 2000 I don't think it had anywhere the current level of active users XP has or had as many products using it as the base image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

When you download the OS (Operating System), it is generally packaged as an image of a disc (iso, img, etc) to which you burn (copy) to disc. I would recommend using ninite to download the appropriate program, ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP will suffice, if your burning to disc, UNetBootin if to a usb thumb drive.
    do i not uninstall xp ?
    You can try if first once you have the OS on disc, you can restart your computer and ensure that the boot (start up) priority in the BIOS selects your DVD/CD disc player first and then the OS will load, you can actually try it as it will be loaded to memory, this is called a live CD, you can also install it from here, though see following note.

You should back up all your important data to an external drive, the path where most of your important stuff will be located will be \Documents and Settings\$USER$ also if you use ROS or similar these will be located in the C:/ (root) drive, copy these over also.

Use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to obtain your licences, just in case, save it to a text file to an external source.

Ubuntu has wubi which you can download within a windows environment to install linux, it is an easier way to install, though at a price as the trade off is you don't receive all the benefits in performance.

I have a HP here with a similar spec as yours which was being thrown out for recycling at work, I just put Linux on it and it has a new lease of live.

Here is a video of a lubuntu installation (within virtualbox)..

I recommend you try lubuntu, and if you hate Linux, ensure you have your licence key and media for an xp install, though I doubt you go back..

Phoenix wrote: »
    I have 2 gig ram pentium 4 dell 3100 32 bit whats the best linux OS for me?i use the pc for documents,internet watching videos etc

If you want something relatively speedy, I'd go for Lubuntu or Xubuntu on that. Xubuntu uses the XFCE desktop which is really nice and functional. Could also try Linux Mint if you wanted to, should be plenty of juice in that machine to run it nicely.

if i do nothing and just leave it the way it is ? and just delete internet explorer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if i do nothing and just leave it the way it is ? and just delete internet explorer ?

itsw not that easy to delete internet explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Wait....

crystal_ball_small.jpg

Probably nothing....

You cant delete IE but make sure its not your default browser, and go into Add/Remove Programs, Remove Windows Components on the left hand side, and untick the IE box. It'll mean that it'll disappear from all your menus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

irishgeo wrote: »
    itsw not that easy to delete internet explorer.
    you will need to go into the hard drive to fine all of it, use one of the force uninstallers to get rid od it, then check your down load folder, your document and files, as there will be bits of it hanging about, always turn off your browser when not using it, a pain i know, try combofix now and again, the last time i used it a taail from where ever was discovered and automatically, total virus scanner used in its manual form is a beaut, files and folders can be loaded one by one, slow i know, but if only done one or two each day you will be fine, rouge killer ran now and again is another excellent bit of kit, keep them in an usb stick, that way they will be strange to the machine and the virus or trogan, so it you have a new infection it will try and stop them from running. oh keep emisoft on the stick as well, if you get into trouble you have the cure,enough for now, if you follow the above you should have xp running happily in a couple of years time, BUT always be on the lookout for new software, yahoo i believe is the best search engine,there are many sights out there to you you entertained and trouble free, at times it is best to be like some of the ould wans of yore very nosey about freeware.

flutered wrote: »
    you will need to go into the hard drive to fine all of it, use one of the force uninstallers to get rid od it, then check your down load folder, your document and files, as there will be bits of it hanging about, always turn off your browser when not using it, a pain i know, try combofix now and again, the last time i used it a taail from where ever was discovered and automatically, total virus scanner used in its manual form is a beaut, files and folders can be loaded one by one, slow i know, but if only done one or two each day you will be fine, rouge killer ran now and again is another excellent bit of kit, keep them in an usb stick, that way they will be strange to the machine and the virus or trogan, so it you have a new infection it will try and stop them from running. oh keep emisoft on the stick as well, if you get into trouble you have the cure,enough for now, if you follow the above you should have xp running happily in a couple of years time, BUT always be on the lookout for new software, yahoo i believe is the best search engine,there are many sights out there to you you entertained and trouble free, at times it is best to be like some of the ould wans of yore very nosey about freeware.

thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows Explorer and other system components are largely related to Internet Explorer so you cannot completely uninstall it. It's the same with some other OS's as well. If you have an old XP machine your best off either upgrading Windows or switching to Linux, which is ideal for most users. It's the actual OS that will be the target after April the 8th, not just simply the browser (although obviously using IE8 would be even more unwise from a security perspective).

Nick

Advertisement