Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House training not Working

• 31-03-2014 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I previously posted about this and got some great advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89138934

I've being bringing my 5 month old pup out into the garden every half hour. I also bring out the older dog as the pup barks if she is out without her. She rarely poos indoors as I make sure to keep her in garden for about 20 minutes after eating.

When indoors I watch her like a hawk, she sits on my knee when I'm on couch. However she will still happily pee right on front of me if my back is turned for a minute. What else can I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What reward is your pup getting for toileting outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

I give her loads of praise and a little dog biscuit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

hollytrees wrote: »
    I give her loads of praise and a little dog biscuit

You probably need to up the ante with the food reward. Lots of dogs love praise, but usually, a tasty food treat trumps verbal reward hands down, and they're particularly important to use regularly and consistently whilst teaching a new behaviour.
    Dog biscuits are usually considered nice, but a bit "meh" by many dogs, so I'd suggest you use far more high-value treats, such as little pieces of chicken, ham, cheese, frankfurter... Find out what your dog utterly adores, and use it to your advantage. The only way your pup gets access to delicious treats is to toilet outside, and shouldn't take long to make the connection.
    The timing of the reward is also critical... Your dog must get it within a second or two of finishing toileting when outside. I suggest that puppy owners do not talk or interact with their pup when out on toilet breaks, until the pup starts to toilet. As the pup is toileting, the owner should gently coo at the pup, keeping the huge praise and food treats for when pup has finished.
    As soon as pup lifts out of the squatting position, then you congratulate him, give him his delicious food reward, and lots of cuddles.
    As pup gets more predictable, then you can anticipate that he's about to squat, at which point you can introduce a verbal command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

is it a bichon frise ?

Advertisement