Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of abortion for 21 weeks completed in UK?

• 01-04-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi All,
    We are from ireland and my wife is 21 weeks completed pregnant. We came to know today that the baby has complications and will not survive after birth(omphalocoele). We are planning to go to UK for abortion. Could someone please suggest a cheap and good hospital in UK for abortion? What would the approximate price be for the operation?(excluding travel and hotel charges).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm so sorry for you all. I don't have specific advice but you could contact TFMR Ireland to get advice and support from couples who have been in the same situation as you.

Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

So sorry to hear that OP.

A friend of mine went to the UK for an abortion at 22 weeks and I know that the consultation and procedure cost just over 2000 sterling.

I didn't get into the details of hotels etc with her but I would imagine that the clinic you choose could advise you of nearby hotels.
    As to which clinic you use, that would depend on where you fly from or where is easiest to fly from. My friend went from Knock so chose Manchester as she could fly to Liverpool and get a train to Manchester.

There is a page on the Marie Stopes website specifically for people travelling from Ireland.

Again OP, I am so sorry for you and your wife to have to go through this.

http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/Womens_services/Abortion/Abortion_for_women_from_Ireland_and_other_countries/Travelling_from_Ireland.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So sorry that you've had this diagnosis. Please contact one of the TFMR groups listed, they can really help, they have a lot of practical information but also provide support for both you and your wife if you need it. My thoughts are with you both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh you poor things, my heart really goes out to you both. :( It makes me so angry that this can't be addressed in Ireland, instead both of you having to undergo such a traumatic procedure at great emotional and financial expense at what is such a traumatic time.

I don't have direct experience of this but I am based in the UK and both of these places seem to be the first port of call when arranging a termination:

British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) on 08457 30 40 30 – or email them at info@bpas.org
    Marie Stopes International on 0845 300 8090 (open 24 hours) – or email them at services@mariestopes.org.uk

I would like to wish both of you well and take care xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Thank you all, the information provided was helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You're more than welcome, I wish you both well xx

Advertisement