Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drivers missing

Options
  • 01-04-2014 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm having an issue with an acer travel-mate 4200 laptop. it was running vista originally but i put xp on it for a cousin of mine as she wanted it for a program she had.

the instillation works perfectly but a few drivers are missing. The modem, network adapter, wireless LAN and Ethernet controller being the main ones. I've managed to find the modem one through the acer support page. but the others will not work which , means it will not connect to the internet.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

Find out your motherboards model, it should be printed on it somewhere. Once you do that use someone else's PC and google "(motherboard model) network driver". Once you find it download it and put it on a USB drive, then you can simply plug it in and install it on your PC. Once you have the network driver running you should download a program called "Slim Drivers". It will find any drivers that are missing or out of date and automatically download them for you.

It may take a while, but it does the job well and best of all it is free. When you install it make sure you say no to any of the other free software that they bundle with it since that is just Adware that they ask you to install in order to make a bit of money.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Find out your motherboards model, it should be printed on it somewhere. Once you do that use someone else's PC and google "(motherboard model) network driver". Once you find it download it and put it on a USB drive, then you can simply plug it in and install it on your PC. Once you have the network driver running you should download a program called "Slim Drivers". It will find any drivers that are missing or out of date and automatically download them for you.

It may take a while, but it does the job well and best of all it is free. When you install it make sure you say no to any of the other free software that they bundle with it since that is just Adware that they ask you to install in order to make a bit of money.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help. it got further than last time. it said it installed the driver but there was still the small yellow question mark over it in device manager.

I have fixed it though. I found a program called driver pack solutions.
    downloaded that and it worked. all drivers that were missing have installed so happy out.

thanks for the help though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

Glad you figured it all out

Advertisement