Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DQ'ed for nudity at aquathlon

Options
  • 01-04-2014 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

I'm raging at this; got an email this morning saying I had been one of many DQ'ed (for nudity) from the recent 3D aquathlon. Apparently the TI official had witnessed us (males) barechested in the transition area, and this is a breach of their stark rules. I had been told that it was ok to swim the aquathlon wearing just speedo's. Supposedly it is okay to be barechested during the swim, but in the interests of gender equality you must cover yourself at all times while in transition.

I did notice a large number of female spectators in the seating area overlooking trans, but had no idea that the barechested rules switched to "nudity" during trans. Does anyone think I have a case for redress with TI? Sorry for the early morning whinge, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

10/10 for effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    10/10 for effort.

So you think I have a case then? I'll be bringing this up at the AGM, will you be there to vote on it? I'll probably have to show what I mean by barechested, and could do with some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    So you think I have a case then? I'll be bringing this up at the AGM, will you be there to vote on it? I'll probably have to show what I mean by barechested, and could do with some support.

I think that's the point. The fact that you need 'support' is the reason you were DQ'd. The latest direction from TI on this issue to officials is to only DQ those males whose bare torso actually causes offence / discomfort to spectators. Perhaps a sports bra next time might assist you in this regard? I hear you can get some nice ones, I'm sure AKW will tell you where we can buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

griffin100 wrote: »
    I think that's the point. The fact that you need 'support' is the reason you were DQ'd. The latest direction from TI on this issue to officials is to only DQ those males whose bare torso actually causes offence / discomfort to spectators. Perhaps a sports bra next time might assist you in this regard? I hear you can get some nice ones, I'm sure AKW will tell you where we can buy one.

Don't drag me into this discussion, I resemble that remark!! :D

KG I understand you checked the detail on this prior to the event as per another thread. I would say you have a case in so far as long as verifying the swim section.

I think I made a joking remark about getting changed underwater because the ITU rules are very clear about within transition. Its splitting hairs about a stupid rule, but to be honest why do people not just wear a trisuit and that is the end of it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I got the same e-mail. Wouldn't mind, but I left a tee shirt at the door so that I wouldn't have to enter transition bare chested and some local gouger stole it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I wore a transparent top. I got the same letter but successfully appealed it as the MoG says torsos most be covered, never said with an opaque material.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know anything about the sport. But someone got offended at your male bare chest?
    tunney wrote: »
    I wore a transparent top. I got the same letter but successfully appealed it as the MoG says torsos most be covered, never said with an opaque material.

Does this mean that women can wear transparent clothes?
    I hope so.

If this rule is all about equality, I'd love to see a woman do this. Because I truly doubt it would go down well. The rules do not reflect their intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm raging at this; got an email this morning saying I had been one of many DQ'ed (for nudity) from the recent 3D aquathlon. Apparently the TI official had witnessed us (males) barechested in the transition area, and this is a breach of their stark rules. I had been told that it was ok to swim the aquathlon wearing just speedo's. Supposedly it is okay to be barechested during the swim, but in the interests of gender equality you must cover yourself at all times while in transition.

I did notice a large number of female spectators in the seating area overlooking trans, but had no idea that the barechested rules switched to "nudity" during trans. Does anyone think I have a case for redress with TI? Sorry for the early morning whinge, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Could have been worse I got DQ'ed for drafting

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Dammit, wrong thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Gotham wrote: »
    I'm trying to find an old drink. I keep thinking Cadet, but i know it's not that. It was sold along side it in many shops.

Small, fat bottle. Green/pink whatever colour lables.

Photoshopped from memory: http://i.imgur.com/WnlQTyR.png

TK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

To think Kurt, you got DQ'd for that, and not for running in Speedos. Where's the consistency?

I'm raging at this....

Right so, seeing as I must be the only plank that fell for this I'd better explain myself :o

My initial reaction when I saw KG's post was right, sure enough, can see how that could happen, plausible.

Hook.

Then Oryx got me wondering, "What?? :confused:"
    Oryx wrote: »
    10/10 for effort.

Line.

And then Griffin100 dragged me into it
    griffin100 wrote: »
    ...I hear you can get some nice ones, I'm sure AKW will tell you where we can buy one.

Sinker.

I couldn't help myself, it was like an out of body experience, next thing I'm typing a response, digging my way down, deep. It was only when I went back to the top page and went, ah Holy God!

One of the good one's I have to say. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Obviously it was when you read about someone being penalised for drafting that you realised it was all a wind up.

Obviously it was when you read about someone being penalised for drafting that you realised it was all a wind up.

Nope, I copped it right away this morning AFTER I posted. PM'd KG right away to pass on my congrats on enabling me to make myself look stupider ;)

Couple of double espresso 2nd Surge gels sorted me out in jig time :D:D

Advertisement