Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from A2 to A licence

• 01-04-2014 8:55am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I will hopefully be getting my full A2 licence this year. I will be 24 next summer.

Can I do a conversion course to the full A licence once I'm 24 or do I have to wait another 2 years after getting my full A2 licence?!

Will I have to do another ****ing driving test?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Yes you can do Module 5 and get a full A. No need to do another test. However I would not be in such a rush to move up to a bigger bike. not sure about the 2 years but I don't think you need to wait.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Xaime wrote: »
    Yes you can do Module 5 and get a full A. No need to do another test. However I would not be in such a rush to move up to a bigger bike. not sure about the 2 years but I don't think you need to wait.

I would just like to derestrict my current bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I will hopefully be getting my full A2 licence this year. I will be 24 next summer.

Can I do a conversion course to the full A licence once I'm 24 or do I have to wait another 2 years after getting my full A2 licence?!

Will I have to do another ****ing driving test?!

If you have completed IBT before you must hold your full 'A2" licence for two years before you can progress to a full 'A' with a module 5 conversion course.

If you have not completed any IBT, when you are 24 get you 'A' permit & complete IBT modules 1,3,5 & take a driving test to get your full 'A' licence.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    If you have completed IBT before you must hold your full 'A2" licence for two years before you can progress to a full 'A' with a module 5 conversion course.

If you have not completed any IBT, when you are 24 get you 'A' permit & complete IBT modules 1,3,5 & take a driving test to get your full 'A' licence.

Yeah I read those lines from the RSA but do they do they follow them in practice?

They're basically punishing me for getting a bike before I'm 24 while some geezer with no riding experience can get a full A licence.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I read those lines from the RSA but do they do they follow them in practice?

They're basically punishing me for getting a bike before I'm 24 while some geezer with no riding experience can get a full A licence.

The geezer has to do IBT & a driving test to get his full licence.

When you are 24 you can upgrade to an 'A' permit & ride unrestricted until you take a test for your full 'A'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Roadcraft wrote: »
    When you are 24 you can upgrade to an 'A' permit & ride unrestricted until you take a test for your full 'A'.

Do this. It will be cheaper and quicker route to a full unrestricted A.

Why force yourself to do a second driving test?

Vikings wrote: »
    Do this. It will be cheaper and quicker route to a full unrestricted A.

Why force yourself to do a second driving test?

If I do this, I will have to take another driving test and wear that damn L tabard again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What I meant was don't do your test this year. If you want to be unrestricted as soon as possible, the easiest way is to wait until next year and get the new A permit. You will be unrestricted the moment you receive your learner permit. Take some time getting used to the bike with full power then do the full test when you are ready.

Vikings wrote: »
    What I meant was don't do your test this year. If you want to be unrestricted as soon as possible, the easiest way is to wait until next year and get the new A permit. You will be unrestricted the moment you receive your learner permit. Take some time getting used to the bike with full power then do the full test when you are ready.

You would not be unrestricted the moment you recieve your 'A' permit, you would have to first complete IBT, or IBT module 5 if you have completed IBT before.

Advertisement