Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum Cleaner

Options
  • 01-04-2014 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a vacuum cleaner is a necessary appliance for a landlord to provide in a fully furnished accommodation?

We moved into our apartment 2 years ago. Just over the weekend our vacuum cleaner (which was crap from day 1) stopped working.

The thing is, our apartment is now in NAMA and is up on the market. However we don't know how long more we're going to be there for....it could be months. Should the receiver be providing us with a new vacuum cleaner??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd say you could pick one up in Argos for 30-40 quid op and save all the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I know I could get one for cheap, but that's not what I'm asking :) I want to know if one should be provided for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

To answer your question, the landlord should be providing you with a vacum cleaner but that does not mean that they have to. As a tenant you are obliged to keep the property in good order, you would be unable to do this without a vacum cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If there was a vacuum cleaner supplied originally then the landlord should replace it now.
    blacklilly wrote: »
    you would be unable to do this without a vacum cleaner.

A vacuum cleaner is not a requirement for a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a vacuum cleaner is not one of the 'essential' appliances for rental. Lidl are doing a deal on a decent wet / dry vac for 49 quid at the moment , better bet than any of the crap youd pick up in argos or the likes for that money.

• Advertisement

A vacuum cleaner is not a requirement for a property.

If a property comprises of tiles and or wooden floors thorughout then a vacum cleaner is not a requirement. I do not understand how a landlord would think a tenant is goping ot keep carpets clean without one however and the vast majority of landlord supply vacum cleaners with their properties.

As I said in my initial post, they are under no obligation to do so but it would be considered the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it on the inventory that you signed when you moved in?

If so, they the LL should replace it - or tell you to replace it and they pay you back.

If not, then buy your own and take it with you when you go.

NB If it's on the inventory and you just buy your own then you either need to leave it when you eventually go, or you need to keep the old one around and the cost may be taken from your deposit when you leave.

If a property comprises of tiles and or wooden floors thorughout then a vacum cleaner is not a requirement. I do not understand how a landlord would think a tenant is goping ot keep carpets clean without one however and the vast majority of landlord supply vacum cleaners with their properties.

As I said in my initial post, they are under no obligation to do so but it would be considered the norm.

A vacuum cleaner is not a requirement though even with carpets, not like a washing machine for example. However, if it was supplied originally then it has to be replaced.

Is it on the inventory that you signed when you moved in?

If so, they the LL should replace it - or tell you to replace it and they pay you back.

If not, then buy your own and take it with you when you go.

NB If it's on the inventory and you just buy your own then you either need to leave it when you eventually go, or you need to keep the old one around and the cost may be taken from your deposit when you leave.

We didn't sign anything when we moved in.

As I've said, the apartment has been taken on by the receivers so that's who we're dealing with at the moment. I emailed them and asked could we buy one and take the cost out of our next month's rent. I know spending €50 on a hoover isn't a huge inconvenience, but if we can get it paid FOR us then we are going to try.

Also, as the apartment is being viewed at the moment by potential buyers, it is necessary for the place to be kept clean. They refused to give us a reduction in rent for the period while it is being viewed, so I think asking for €50 for a vacuum cleaner isn't too much.

Also, as the apartment is being viewed at the moment by potential buyers, it is necessary for the place to be kept clean. They refused to give us a reduction in rent for the period while it is being viewed, so I think asking for €50 for a vacuum cleaner isn't too much.

Don't let anyone in to view it so.

• Advertisement

A vacuum cleaner is not a requirement though even with carpets, not like a washing machine for example. However, if it was supplied originally then it has to be replaced.

I don't think you are reading my posts. I am not disagreeing with you.

Don't let anyone in to view it so.

No, we're not going to be deliberately difficult. Our rent is already below market rent so we were kind of chancing our arm to ask for a reduction. We want to stay there for as long as possible because the rent is so low, and there hasn't been a huge amount of interest since it went up on the market so we're hoping to be there another few months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

To answer your question, the landlord should be providing you with a vacum cleaner but that does not mean that they have to. As a tenant you are obliged to keep the property in good order, you would be unable to do this without a vacum cleaner.
    So the answer is no the LL is not obliged to provide a vacuum. You are required to clean you don't expect the LL to provide tea towel, detergent etc.. why would you expect them to provide a vacuum?

I personally do because of the attitude of many tenants but it really is something a tenant should expect to provide themselves just like any other cleaning equipment.

The receiver replied to my email and said "Please go ahead and purchase a hoover and submit to me the invoice/receipt before making any deduction from rent."

His wording is a bit ambiguous, he hasn't really said yes or no. But I presume it won't be a problem, I'll buy the hoover tomorrow and send him the receipt, and rent is due a few days later so I'll just deduct the cost then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The receiver replied to my email and said "Please go ahead and purchase a hoover and submit to me the invoice/receipt before making any deduction from rent."

His wording is a bit ambiguous, he hasn't really said yes or no. But I presume it won't be a problem, I'll buy the hoover tomorrow and send him the receipt, and rent is due a few days later so I'll just deduct the cost then.
    Don't buy a Dyson.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    So the answer is no the LL is not obliged to provide a vacuum. You are required to clean you don't expect the LL to provide tea towel, detergent etc.. why would you expect them to provide a vacuum?

I personally do because of the attitude of many tenants but it really is something a tenant should expect to provide themselves just like any other cleaning equipment.

Yes, at no point did I day the LL is obliged to buy a vacum. It would however be considered the norm for LL to provide a vacum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

That's sound. He just wants sight of the receipt before deduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes, at no point did I day the LL is obliged to buy a vacum. It would however be considered the norm for LL to provide a vacum.
    By the same measure I didn't say you said they were obliged.

Advertisement