Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights regarding LL showing property to new tenants

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been living in my current accomodation for 18 months. There was a fixed lease in place but that expired after 12 months and was never renewed.

Rent is paid monthly and I gave six weeks notice last week.
    The LL put the property up on daft straight away, fair enough.

Now he is pushing me to allow prospective tenants to view the property. I've explained that I'm in work at the moment but have two weeks off prior to the move and will be willing to allow viewings at that stage as my stuff will be packed up and I'll be cleaning etc.
    I'm not fully comfortable with allowing people into the house as it is now, with all my stuff everywhere.

What are my rights with regard to this? Can I insist on them scheduling viewing of the property the second week I am off (2 weeks before I move out).

I know they won't want the property vacant for too long but I am paying rent and it's still my home for now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

you aren't obliged to allow viewings. Most people do just so everyone can stay on good terms but if so it should be at a time convenient for you and Id personally be there at the time as you don't know what could go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I know in our lease that was signed, it stated that we give permission to the landlord to arrange viewings at a time reasonably convenient, as long as at least 24 hours notice. From my reading of that, I couldn't unreasonably refuse to allow the viewings (i.e. didnt want to pick up my stuff) but at the same time he couldnt push them on me without it being mutually convenient (i.e. if I am out of the house at work).

Work with your landlord here. Keep them in a good mood. It might mean the difference of getting the full deposit back and them going through everything with a fine toothcomb and making deductions that they probably would have let go if you had played ball.

But, under no circumstances could they just give 24 hours notice and rock up to the house and let themselves in without my explicit permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Could you come to a compromise with the LL? Tell him you are not happy. For viewings to go ahead when you are not there but you can accommodate viewings between certain times on certain days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

joeguevara wrote: »
    I know in our lease that was signed, it stated that we give permission to the landlord to arrange viewings at a time reasonably convenient, as long as at least 24 hours notice.

That clause in your lease isn't valid. You cant sign away statutory rights. If you wanted you could tell the landlord you wouldn't be allowing any viewings.

OP: Tell your landlord he can have viewings when it suits you. If it suits you to do this in the last week that is your choice. If it suits you to have 0 viewings that is your choice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

joeguevara wrote: »
    Work with your landlord here. Keep them in a good mood. It might mean the difference of getting the full deposit back and them going through everything with a fine toothcomb and making deductions that they probably would have let go if you had played ball.
    This.

How much to you value "not allowing people into the house with all my stuff everywhere"? Likely to cost you a bit of your deposit.

Not fair, but I'd be keeping the LL onside.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    This.

How much to you value "not allowing people into the house with all my stuff everywhere"? Likely to cost you a bit of your deposit.

Not fair, but I'd be keeping the LL onside.

Huh? It will cost 0 of their deposit. Withholding a deposit because viewings were not facilitated will result in the landlord being taken in front of the PRTB and paying back the deposit plus more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Huh? It will cost 0 of their deposit. Withholding a deposit because viewings were not facilitated will result in the landlord being taken in front of the PRTB and paying back the deposit plus more.
    Yes, but withholding deposit because of something else that the LL happened to notice, which he may have turned a blind eye to otherwise, is legal.

Not saying it's right, just letting ya know what I'd do if I was the OP.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yes, but withholding deposit because of something else that the LL happened to notice, which he may have turned a blind eye to otherwise, is legal.

Not saying it's right, just letting ya know what I'd do if I was the OP.

There is either damage or there is not, any hint of a deposit being withheld to force viewing should be reported as it is not in any way acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The house is perfect and there is no way they can withhold the deposit without a serious amount of aggro from me. I have photos etc and have been renting properties from the same agency for years and they are the ones holding the deposit. Rent has always been paid on time etc etc. I don't smoke and have no pets. The house will be left exactly as it was found.
    I've never had a problem getting my deposit back and I've rented for the last 10 years, various properties and various landlords. I also have a recent, glowing reference from the letting agent so the LL wouldn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to my deposit.

Anyway I have agreed with the LL to show someone the downstairs of the property this week but not upstairs which I think is fair. They can view the full property once I've boxed up my personal items. They can like it or lump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Good approach OP. I think that is a fair compromise the LL should be happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Considering it's six weeks notice you've given, I'd point out to the landlord that there's no point showing the property now, people looking will want to move in within the next week or two, not in six weeks.

Seeing half the property is useless to prospective tenants, so I wouldn't offer that, instead I'd offer one viewing a week the two weeks before you move out.
    You pick the time, so say Thursday at 7pm in each week. That gives him plenty of scope to find new tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 toughapple

Considering it's six weeks notice you've given, I'd point out to the landlord that there's no point showing the property now, people looking will want to move in within the next week or two, not in six weeks.

Seeing half the property is useless to prospective tenants, so I wouldn't offer that, instead I'd offer one viewing a week the two weeks before you move out.
    You pick the time, so say Thursday at 7pm in each week. That gives him plenty of scope to find new tenants.

Sometimes it suits tenants to find a place well in advance if they have to give notice in their existing accommodation.

Advertisement