Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing your new candidate for Europe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Best of luck Tom

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd just like you to clarify one thing - re:the Pulse systemI'm not exactly sure what you are proposing here but when I read about Boards.ie mods being connected to the Pulse system a shiver went up my spine :D

Ironically enough, my reaction was your username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Good luck in the campaign, it's about time someone stood up for poster rights.
    And I'm sure the chauffeur would be handy.
    But you really should reconsider that yearly charge. I know you need campaign funds but that is going to create a bit of a backlash.
    What about an exemption for users with 2824 posts or more.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

It's too bad it's April 1st. I would have genuinely gotten behind this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Best of luck to him! Raging that I can't vote for him, as I'm not in the Dublin constituency, but I most positively would have.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DeVore wrote: »
    I will stop at nothing,
    Say the right things,
    When electioneering I trust I can rely on your vote

Depends on the colour of your envelope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Can't say Tom will be getting my vote. It's a manifesto that appeals to bedsit dwellers and computer game addicts. No relevance to Paddy Punter and Mary Middle Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

So....it's purely coincidental that this was announced today, correct? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I thought this was an April Fools joke?

Then again, I thought Shatter really had resigned.

My 'fool-o-meter' is malfunctioning today. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Wonder what his policy is on robots living among humans or human robot relations???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Best of luck, Tom. I'm not in your constituency but if you have a fund, I'll donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Why do I feel we should be calling shenanigans on this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Perhaps after this you could run for king? I think you'd look good with a crown and sceptre.

When I go forwards you go backwards, and somewhere we will meet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I wouldn't vote for the same map as him in QW, much less give him any more power than he currently has.

He's evil, just look at his shifty eyes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Life shouldn't revolve just around the internet. How will broadband for everyone deal with something like the ECB crashing or Russia declaring war on Europe over Crimea. This is what they deal with on a day to day basis in Europe. Not that our politicians are any use in these debates anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why is it all the Mod's posts are approved, but mine has yet to appear? I wonder why that is?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

April Fools Day, No?

I'd vote for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

But what about us braindead slobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There's been a very mixed reaction to this announcement and it's been kinda fascinating to read. This is of course an April fool's joke and Tom is not nor has he currently any intention of ever running for any political office here in Ireland.

However, there are some important elements of truth in this that we don't want to gloss over or think we just poked fun at. Boards does believe in an open and free internet and net neutrality, but with that has to come personal responsibility for people's actions online. We would love to be able to let you say whatever you want here, but with the law being so completely incompatible with the internet, the service provider like your ISP and like us are the ones who get punished and not the person who made the statement. Tom has often touted the phrase "you own your own words" - this means you should be prepared to take responsibility for what you say and do on the internet and not hide behind a screen and to always remember that you are not shouting at the ether, there are other very real humans reading your words, reacting to your words, being affected by your words.

We do want Boards to be an independent third party platform where Irish people can talk to each other and to the companies they do business with and to their elected representatives. We'd love to have areas of government and civil service as well as individual TD's, Senators and Councillors officially represented on the site too. It's a slow process, but we've been around for 15 years and we're not planning on going anywhere :)

So to all of you who played along, thank you. :D To all of you who got suckered in, sorry :p And to Tom for agreeing to be a political candidate, even if it was just for half a day, thank you too ;)

PS: did people honestly think we would actually want to integrate your details into a system that seems to be horribly abused by it's users like PULSE? All this Garda Commissioner/GSOC/whistleblowing stuff makes for disturbing reading and we think keeping your data safe is rather important :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Best of luck Tom; too bad I'm not in your constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Dav wrote: »
    There's been a very mixed reaction to this announcement and it's been kinda fascinating to read. This is of course an April fool's joke and Tom is not nor has he currently any intention of ever running for any political office here in Ireland.

However, there are some important elements of truth in this that we don't want to gloss over or think we just poked fun at. Boards does believe in an open and free internet and net neutrality, but with that has to come personal responsibility for people's actions online. We would love to be able to let you say whatever you want here, but with the law being so completely incompatible with the internet, the service provider like your ISP and like us are the ones who get punished and not the person who made the statement. Tom has often touted the phrase "you own your own words" - this means you should be prepared to take responsibility for what you say and do on the internet and not hide behind a screen and to always remember that you are not shouting at the ether, there are other very real humans reading your words, reacting to your words, being affected by your words.

We do want Boards to be an independent third party platform where Irish people can talk to each other and to the companies they do business with and to their elected representatives. We'd love to have areas of government and civil service as well as individual TD's, Senators and Councillors officially represented on the site too. It's a slow process, but we've been around for 15 years and we're not planning on going anywhere :)

So to all of you who played along, thank you. :D To all of you who got suckered in, sorry :p And to Tom for agreeing to be a political candidate, even if it was just for half a day, thank you too ;)

PS: did people honestly think we would actually want to integrate your details into a system that seems to be horribly abused by it's users like PULSE? All this Garda Commissioner/GSOC/whistleblowing stuff makes for disturbing reading and we think keeping your data safe is rather important :D

Good one. Had me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I realised straight away. But my posts were not approved for some reason...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Its not in anyway implausable that he might run for office, nor is it implausable that an election manifesto might be as was proposed.

Dana (crack pot manifesto, which you would think was April fools), Sean Gallager (self styled business man) anyone?

Still I did post - doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hook, line and sinker.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good effort, the excuse to pre-moderate posts was a masterstroke.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Hats off lads, lovely prank.

Tom is one of the least likely people I have ever met to run for office, and as such demonstrates perfectly the aphorism 'those most deserving of public office rarely seek it'. Tom would be a worthy representative for the Irish people if he chose to do so.
    As such my offer stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Devastated, you had me there as well! :o I would have voted and all! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

DeVore wrote: »
    I will stop at nothing,
    Say the right things,
    When electioneering I trust I can rely on your vote

A job that slowly kills you
    Bruises that won't heal

You look so tired and unhappy
    Bring down the government
    They don't speak for us

I'll take a quiet life
    A handshake. Some carbon monoxide

No alarms and no surprises please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Damn I took it that one of his policies was that all the details that were uploaded into Pulse would be there for all boardsies to read.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement