Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird sign spotted - spaceship for sale!

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:25am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On my way home from parkmore this morning and i see a professionally printed sign advertising a spaceship for sale, One at end of parkmore road before turning right towards Briarhill, and one outside the Huntsman, text as follows;

Year 2010
    Ex-troika surplus
    Mileage 120,000,000,000
    Full light speed capacity
    A/C and electric windows
    Taxed til 2057
    Genuine reason for selling

Call Stephen at (number)

Certainly gave me a giggle, but is it April fools or some new protest type thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

A bit of both I'd say.

Excellent:).

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Broadsheet did a story on this as well.

See here.

BkH9F46IAAAxjOI.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

The space mileage is suspiciously low and the 2010 model had problems with the flux capacitor reliability. I'd pass on that one. :cool:

Probably some form of performance art like the one where obviously false parking tickets were placed on cars which ironically were illegally parked.

I saw it too and vaguely wondered a bit if someone had actually built one out of bits of plastic and scrap complete with flashing lights and smoke and one of his friends was taking the proverbial, today of all days.:)

'Stephen' I wager will be driven mad with calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was Going to give Steve a call, I'd be I interested on buying it for parts, flux capacitors are becoming rare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I was Going to give Steve a call...
    Do it now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You'd have to have some amount of money to tax that. Wouldn't fit in an NCT centre this side of the Nibiru either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I called him because I've always wanted a spaceship.

Got a voicemail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Well he sounds like a 'Space Cadet' so maybe it's real!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Ha. I used to work in the HQ of a prominent fast food chain as security. Somebody put a classified ad in a local paper offering a second hand porsche at a low but not ridiculous price with the HQ's main number. So all day long (it was Saturday, so almost no one else around) I took calls that asked for Ronald and had to tell them they'd rung McDonald's and it was a prank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I would think it was someone pranking a friend if the sign wasn't such good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm actually wondering if it might be a marketing thing.

Last night I was driving through cross street and was behind an orange MPV with a UK plate. And on the body there was a website advertised http://www.spaceships.tv/

I may be reading entirely too much into this and it might just be a complete coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Spotted 2 more of these signs earlier today (Cappagh Road junction, Westside opposite the hotel). I saw a girl walking away from the Cappagh road one as if she had just put it up. The jeep she was driving didn't appear to have any branding/marketing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

one outside jurys aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm actually wondering if it might be a marketing thing.

Last night I was driving through cross street and was behind an orange MPV with a UK plate. And on the body there was a website advertised http://www.spaceships.tv/

I may be reading entirely too much into this and it might just be a complete coincidence.

I think you're right - spaceships have come to Dublin (well Navan, but sure'n to move tourists there's no difference :-) )

http://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.uk/locations/ireland-campervan-hire/

They, and one of the other camper rentals (Wild vans? something like that) have been in the north for a while. You occasionally see one around down here.

Cool to travel in and nice to drive (we did a fortnight in NZ's South Island) - though I'm not so sure about here where there a less public camping facilities. But they will fit under at least some height restriction bars in tourist places.

Advertisement