Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week only:Trig1 in the hot seat

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:28am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10
    joey100
    Couerdelion
    Tunney
    miller82
    bryangiggsy
    Jackyback
    mossym

so, with my week up, it's time to pass the reins. Next up to open the door and show us what's behind the username is Trig1.

Where does the username come from? Is there a del boy and rodney in your bunch of mates?
    how big an effect do your working hours have on training?
    Do the non standard hours make it easier to juggle life training and kids or is it even harder?
    How serious were you about going bike racing, or was it just an injury induced idea?
    Main goals for the year? What's the big difference in them over last year?
    How much of a rivalry is there between you and your brother?

I'm not going to steal Mike's thunder and get the how long/many q's in, but trust me if he doesn't I'll be back..:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hi Trig1,
    What do you do for crust?
    How many kids and what ages?
    What's your sporting background?
    Best performance to date?
    Top 10 albums?
    Any bucket list races?
    What your strongest and weakest discipline in tri?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Dream bike and set up, road and TT??

Podium in your local race (Worlds end?) or a sub 2.22 in Hell of the West?

With the talk about coaching in Mossys questions, is it something you have looked at or thought about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

PBs at 5k, 10k, half/full marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Thanks Mossym,
    I hope I am as interesting as a few of ye but I doubt it anyway here goes...

Where does the username come from? Is there a del boy and rodney in your bunch of mates?

over 10years ago in work I made a stupid comment in the canteen and 2 mates started slagging me that it was like something Trigger would say from "only fools and horses" . I took huge offence and got up from the table and stormed off (worst move ever) - seeing the reaction they continued calling me trigger for the rest of the week- 10 years later and it is still what I am called in work although it has now been shortened to Trig :o, 1 nickname for my work mates and 1 nickname for my friends!

how big an effect do your working hours have on training?

I started working 5-cycle shift 17years ago and my rowing training really suffered then until it stopped- I was younger and under the impression that I couldn't train the days I was working as the days were too long and I was "tired" I piled up the weight and became very unfit- I tried going back rowing once or twice throughout the years and even spent some time rowing with shotgun and racing in Henley but I never got back to full fitness, that is until I found triathlon, I now found that I could build in a lot of my triathlon training around work... such as -cycle to and from work 52k round trip and run at lunch time in work, so to answer your question- we can all make an hour during the day for training and I try not to use my long working hours as an excuse not to train.

Do the non standard hours make it easier to juggle life training and kids or is it even harder?

Some shifts I hate- I work 4 12hr day shifts and when I get home after work at 9pm the kids are already in bed, I don't get to see them from Monday to Friday but when this shift is over with I have a 2 week spell where I only have to work 24hrs so I have great time with the kids during this spell, so to answer your question -some days are difficult but overall I think I have more time to spend with the kids.

How serious were you about going bike racing, or was it just an injury induced idea?

I love tri, I love the people and I love the whole buzz around it and the fact it has got me fit again, cycling is by far my strongest leg and I have thought about the idea of doing A4 racing for the last year or 2, if the injuries persist then yes I will get an A4 license for next year, if I get over the injuries I will continue racing tri.

Main goals for the year? What's the big difference in them over last year?

3 main goals-1. try go as close to 2:30 in HOTW as possible(would love to do sub 2:30)- did 2:37 last year but left a lot of time on the bike course.
    2. Aim for sub 5hrs in the lost sheep- did 5:14 last year but wasn't prepared for the severity of it and had wrong gearing on bike, could knock time off all 3 disciplines.
    3. go sub 70mins in Worlds End sprint and get a top 10, did 71mins last year but I think my biking is going better this year..
    (all the above is obviously dependent on me getting back training soon)

How much of a rivalry is there between you and your brother?

think Kane and Abel!! massive massive rivalry going back to our rowing years- I was always better than him at rowing and achieved more- and I rubbed it in his face a bit, he is way better than me at tri and its now his turn to rub it in my face:o, I will never be as fast a runner or swimmer so my only challenge with him is the bike and we are very evenly matched on that,

Thanks for the Q's Mossym and yours was a great read, hope I can match you!

Hey PGibbo...

What do you do for crust?

I am a supervisor in a semi-conductor Industry - working here for last 17years- same place Mossym works

How many kids and what ages?

I have 4 kids :eek::eek: , 1 boy and 3 girls- Boy aged 11 and girls aged 9 5 and 3

What's your sporting background?
    I was an oarsman with St Michaels since the age of 12 up to mid 20's with a lot of success- won 2 junior Irish rowing championships in and 8 and a 4, won an Intermediate Irish rowing championship (same year I won junior) and won a senior 4's Irish rowing championship in 1995 - had an outside chance of going to Olympics in 1996 but that's another story, Have 8 irish caps rowing for Ireland and 1 gold medal at junior home internationals, 3 silver medals and 1 bronze at "coupe de la juenesse"- Euro junior champs and 1 gold medal and 1 bronze in Ghent international under 23's rowing championships and a top 10 finish in Brian Boru Olympic distance tri in 2013 :D:D, nearly forgot my only win in my first ever tri- the worlds end try a tri in 2011

Best performance to date?
    In tri- best performance was probably Brian Boru solely due to numbers but my own personal best performance was probably the 5:14 in The Lost sheep.

Top 10 albums?

Pearl Jam 10
    Pearl Jam Versus
    Pearl Jam- Vitalogy
    Pearl Jam- No-Code
    Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam
    Nirvana-Unplugged in New York
    Nirvana- Nevermind
    R.E.M.- Green
    Pearl Jam -Rearview Mirror
    Maybe a bit of dance music for some training

Any bucket list races?

Challenge Barca or Iron Man Lanza

What your strongest and weakest discipline in tri?

strongest: cycling
    weakest: swimming- I swim like a stone!

Thanks for the Q's PGibbo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Trig1 wrote: »

2. Aim for sub 5hrs in the lost sheep- did 5:14 last year but wasn't prepared for the severity of it and had wrong gearing on bike, could knock time off all 3 disciplines.
    3. go sub 70mins in Worlds End sprint and get a top 10, did 71mins last year but I think my biking is going better this year..
    (all the above is obviously dependent on me getting back training soon)

what gearing did you have, and what do you think you should have had?

sub 70? i was in on 1:16 last year, should improve on that but will have to see if we can have a duel or not, much bigger improvement for me to make:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi ya Trig1.

Will you be lining up for the Feet on the Street series rematch?

I reckon we could take MCOS with a roll of gaffer tape and if we work together :)

That's an impressive rowing CV. Kudos. :cool: You're not afraid of a bit of training so :D

Did you race lightweight or heavyweight?

Any thougts of rowing Vet?

I guess the reality is that the tri training is a scaled back version of your rowing days (hours wise) but obviously balancing with family and work is the trick.

I have to ask - what happened in '96? Did Liamo Williams cox a crew at that Olympics?

Did you ever row with Jason Connolly or any of the other Bish lads at any of those events?

Hey Joey100

Dream bike and set up, road and TT??

111674.jpg
    Dream tt bike: Scott plasma premium $11000 with possibly an ultegra Di2 setup

Dream road bike: pinarello dogma 65.1- $11500 -sex on wheels- with full dura ace groupset

2013+Pinarello+Dogma+65.1+Think+2+850+FP50.jpg

Hi Joey100 contd:

Podium in your local race (Worlds end?) or a sub 2.22 in Hell of the West?

This is a hugely difficult question to answer, Sub 2.22 in HOTW would mean beating the bro as his best time is 2.23 (did you know that when you asked question :cool:) although I would love a podium in my local race!! I think I will never beat the bro so I would have to go with podium in worlds end

With the talk about coaching in Mossys questions, is it something you have looked at or thought about?

I have actually never really put though into getting a coach, for a few different reasons... 1. I don't think I could afford it and 2. I only ever wanted to do tri for fun and to keep me fit and healthy, my thoughts on going down the route of getting a coach means I am under pressure to perform- knock on effects of that are - more training and less time to spend at home with the family, also with the hours I work I would find it extremely difficult to bring some structure into my training- If anyone reads my training log they would see there is no structure whatsoever to it.....

don't know if that actually answers the question but I don't see myself ever getting a coach- unless someone would like to take me on for free! :)

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »
    PBs at 5k, 10k, half/full marathon?

Hey EC1000

5k pb set in Joey hannon tri last year : 20.38 mins
    10k pb set only in training ~ 42.17 race p.b. was around 45mins 2 years ago
    half marathon p.b.: only did 1 half marathon in training and 1 race- lost sheep last year- training did ~1:35, lost sheep did 1:49
    Marathon: never did one and don't think I ever will- would probably do an Ironman before doing a marathon

AKW wrote: »
    Hi ya Trig1.

Will you be lining up for the Feet on the Street series rematch?

I reckon we could take MCOS with a roll of gaffer tape and if we work together :)

Hey AKW- I would like to do the first feet on the street (if I can run) but I am away in Mallorca for the next 2 races :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Didn't actually know that about your bro, just knew Hell of the West was a bit of a tougher course than other Olympics so thought that time rather than 2.20, was a good time to pick from the sounds of it though!

What races have you planned this year?

Bucket list races?

Hi Pgibbo

Did you race lightweight or heavyweight?

I was lightweight for my rowing career- raced lightweight U23's in Ghent, when I raced the senior champs in 95 our crew was lightweight

Any thoughts of rowing Vet?

No real thoughts of rowing vets as I just cannot commit to a crew- that's the beauty of tri- I train for myself when I want to train- I get out of the sport what I put into it- no one to blame but myself!

I have to ask - what happened in '96? Did Liamo Williams cox a crew at that Olympics?

The Olympics crew was a lightweight coxless 4 in 96- in the 95 Irish champs we beat most of the crew that were going to the Olympics in 96- we didn't just beat them-we beat them well (they came 4th in the Olympics), instead of giving our 4 a shot they took 1 guy out of our boat and put him into their boat, politics and money already invested in that crew had a lot to do with it I reckon- this is my own opinion and others may have different thoughts on this but as I said I was young at the time and this was my impression of what happened- yes i'm still bitter :D

Did you ever row with Jason Connolly or any of the other Bish lads at any of those events?

Yes I rowed with Jason Connolly, Paul Martin, Joe O Toole and A.Another in 92 at home Internationals in strathclyde- won a gold medal and set a junior course record- stayed in Jason house for a while whilst at a training camp in Galway- good times:)

mossym wrote: »
    what gearing did you have, and what do you think you should have had?

sub 70? i was in on 1:16 last year, should improve on that but will have to see if we can have a duel or not, much bigger improvement for me to make:)

Hi Mossym

Forgot this one...I had an 11-23 cassette on the back- but in hindsight I should have had an 11-25 or maybe even an 11-27- a lot of grinding was done on the steeper hills and it took a lot out of the legs

Looking at your swim times you will be out of the water ahead of me- I will probably catch you on the bike and it will come down to the run, I will beat you !! :D:D:D

Phillilp Hassel was the A.Another I believe. Jason - a pure header but in a good way. A1 lad too. Did Paul row with you in Limerick before moving to Galway?

As with most sports politics prevails over common sense.

Nice dream bikes. What do you currently ride?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi Mossym

Forgot this one...I had an 11-23 cassette on the back- but in hindsight I should have had an 11-25 or maybe even an 11-27- a lot of grinding was done on the steeper hills and it took a lot out of the legs

Looking at your swim times you will be out of the water ahead of me- I will probably catch you on the bike and it will come down to the run, I will beat you !! :D:D:D

in case you hadn't seen it..

https://www.facebook.com/events/665852263474676/?ref=22

signed up this morning.

joey100 wrote: »
    Didn't actually know that about your bro, just knew Hell of the West was a bit of a tougher course than other Olympics so thought that time rather than 2.20, was a good time to pick from the sounds of it though!

What races have you planned this year?

Bucket list races?

Hi Joey100

Plan for the year is subject to change considering injuries but I will be looking at Boruman in June and Nenagh's tri in June-dromineer as warm ups to HOTW then the Xterra race hopefully in July and then Worlds end and lost sheep in August....may do more,may do less

Bucker list- challenge barca or IM Lanza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ha Im such a bimbo, I always thought your username was Tri as in Triathlon and the G was for something like guy. I've always though tri guy 1 when I looked at it Never made the connection to Only fools and horses :D

Are you a member of a club?
    If not do you want to join Nenagh Tri or CC? :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Phillilp Hassel was the A.Another I believe. Jason - a pure header but in a good way. A1 lad too. Did Paul row with you in Limerick before moving to Galway?

As with most sports politics prevails over common sense.

Nice dream bikes. What do you currently ride?

Paul rowed with Shannon rowing club

What I currently ride....

a nice heavy compact BH road bike but I love it, alu frame but carbon everything else...

and a Dolan Aria tt bike- Pic of the tt bike is in Images of Beauty somewhere...

The Bh cost me 700 euro 2nd hand 5 years ago
    and the Dolan cost me 700 euro 2 years ago

Happy out with both of them

• Advertisement

That's right - Aidan Power coached him at Shannon for a while. I'm getting old! :D

Good bang for your buck on those 2 bikes :D

I hope none of the crew you supervise are seeing your updates if you're at work! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Trig

If you were to convert the best bang for buck erg session to a bike session, what would it look like?
    Do you miss 5ks or 17/5s?:D
    How long can you hold a plank for after reading this?
    How many jumping burpees to fail can you do after the plank?
    Next bike session sprint at 50kmh+ for as long as you can hold it and tell us how you get on?!
    What hurts more, Tri or rowing?
    Where do you keep your pots?
    Do you follow the ITU series?
    Win your AG at HOTW or 4th in your AG but beat the Bro?
    Boards nemesis?
    Since you are technically minded, the rowing success testament to that, what do feel is blocking your progress with swimming?
    Pet hates?
    How many kick ups with a football can you do?
    Which 2 TDAR boardies would be a marriage made in heaven/hell?
    Are you in fact, shorter than JB?
    How many pull ups can you do to fail?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Ha Im such a bimbo, I always thought your username was Tri as in Triathlon and the G was for something like guy. I've always though tri guy 1 when I looked at it Never made the connection to Only fools and horses :D

Are you a member of a club?
    If not do you want to join Nenagh Tri or CC? :D

I love it, ha ha, never even thought of the name having another meaning!! Tri-G :D:D no i am not a member of a club at the moment, was playing around with the idea of joining either Limerick/Brian Boru or Nenagh,all have something appealing in their own way, couldn't make up my mind so decided not to join any this year.

Hey Shotgun.

If you were to convert the best bang for buck erg session to a bike session, what would it look like?

One of my favourite sessions on the water or erg was 30 on 20 off X 10 X 2 , loved the explosive power of an eight getting up to max speed and the rush of the oar through the water and of course the split second timing.. only thing I can compare to this would be Sufferfest- Revolver or Downward spiral- love these 2 sessions.

Do you miss 5ks or 17/5s?

Hated 5k's and in all my rowing career I only ever finished 1- I had some mental barrier on the erg every time - always stopped at around 8mins gone??
    Loved 17/5's and yes I miss these-

How long can you hold a plank for after reading this?
    How many jumping burpees to fail can you do after the plank?
    Next bike session sprint at 50kmh+ for as long as you can hold it and tell us how you get on?!

Once I get back training I will update you on these-might update plank tomorrow!

What hurts more, Tri or rowing?

Rowing way more- Rowing is 110%+ !!! but it only lasts around 7mins :D , tri is all about how hard you can maintain ~85-90% intensity for.
    -I'm not trying to dish tri of course- I love it! but with rowing - since I was 18 I went through the pain barrier in every race I did- ie. I puked in every race I did with around 1 min left in the race. its almost impossible to compare the 2 sports

Where do you keep your pots? - They are in the Mams house

Do you follow the ITU series?- yes - love it- was delighted for gomez last year- the wife loves it too!!

Win your AG at HOTW or 4th in your AG but beat the Bro? Beat the Bro :D:D

Boards nemesis? simple - you! haha - someone on board I would love to beat!!

Since you are technically minded, the rowing success testament to that, what do feel is blocking your progress with swimming?

I started rowing at the age of 12- spent 4 years coming last in every race I raced but persevered until I started winning-and I had great coaches... with swimming- Its very hard to teach an old dog new tricks- besides yourself of course- I need a swim coach- I have never had a lesson and only learned over 2 years ago how to breathe properly- I think 13min or 13.30 for 750m will be the max of my abilities unless I get coaching of course.

How many kick ups with a football can you do?

4 or 5 if I'm lucky- 2 left feet

Pet hates? Kardashians!! In Tri it has to be the guys with the savage 5000 euro tt bike, all the best of gear and the go faster helmet who takes 40mins to do a 20k tt!!!

Which 2 TDAR boardies would be a marriage made in heaven/hell?

Heaven of course - yourself and DD
    Hell- ha ha - Maybe tunney and Elvis jones ;);)

Are you in fact, shorter than JB? doubt it!! ;)

How many pull ups can you do to fail?
    I have neglected my pull ups and plank over the last 2 weeks as I'm trying to rest the foot- have also put up a half stone but at the moment- 8.75 :cool: pull ups to fail in my current state

Thanks for the Q's Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey Trig.
    love the Dogma however to keep with Italian tradition it should be only ever be on Campag.

now
    both in your rowing prime who would win a straight Race you or MCOS:D?
    whats your guilty pleasure
    5 people for come dine with me who are they and why.
    All your training is\or appears to be done hard do you ever take an easy session.

Hey Bennymul

both in your rowing prime who would win a straight Race you or MCOS?

me of course :D

whats your guilty pleasure

Thai green curry, poppadoms and beers/ or crisps and coke

5 people for come dine with me who are they and why.

Sir Steve Redgrave- would love to chat to him about his olympic success
    Javier Gomez- try learn a few tri tips
    Julia Roberts- love the smile and she is my hall pass ;)
    Robert DeNiro- Class Actor- would be great to chat to
    Graham Norton- to bring us all together and for the comic relief

All your training is\or appears to be done hard do you ever take an easy session.

I know there is a perception from my log that I do everything hard but I really dont think that is a true reflection- most of my running is done easy, most of my swimming is done easy (dont know how to go hard), Yes I do do alot of my cycling hard but that is because on the bike is where I can increase my overall fitness with the least chance of getting an injury and I love going hard on the bike, but I have started introducing more light sessions! especially on the turbo

thanks for the Q's Bennymul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Most embarrassing moment?
    Have you ever been on TV?
    How many bones have you broken in your body? How?
    Have you any scars?
    Tattoos?
    Have you ever met anyone famous?
    How long are you married?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hi Trig1

favorite restaurant
    favorite holiday resort
    money no object car
    money no object motorbike
    if any of your kids were to excel in any sport what sport would you like that to be

and i see you live just over the road,give or take 10 miles or so, we must hook up for a cycle 1 of the days

Hi Solobally8

Most embarrassing moment?

I'm not going to go into loads of detail on this but I was bored in work 1 night many many years ago and a friend outside of work sent me on a saucy email, I forwarded it onto a few more mates and thought nothing more of it, until I was called into my senior managers office (a woman)the next morn, she had the email open in front of her and asked me to explain why I sent this to her, to this day I still dont know how she got it but sufficed to say I was absolutely mortified, I had just gotten a mortgage and had just gotten engaged and I thought I was going to lose my job, I grovelled and begged for my job that day,not a good day :o

Have you ever been on TV?

Not really but if you remember a few years back RTE had a crap quiz show on called "the box" presented by Keith Duffy, my sister was a contestant for a few nights and we were up there as "the family" being interviewed by Keith Duffy- thats my claim to fame I suppose.

How many bones have you broken in your body? How?

Broke my collar bone when I was younger falling out of a tree-house:D
    Broke most of my knuckles and a few bones in my hand when I was younger (lets just say I grew up in Limerick city and was able to look after myself)
    Dislocated my shoulder- most painful injury ever- when I was in Peoples Park playground with 4 children under 4 and minding them on my own, I fell when I was helping 1 of them down a slide and my arm got caught in the slide and was yanked out of the socket- The playground was packed- many people saw it happen me, i was standing still in tears and in unmerciful pain and not one person came over to see was I ok,I was so taken aback that no one came over to help me especially seeing I had 4 small children running around me.

Have you any scars?

ha ha, my mam used say that everytime I went out playing when I was younger I would come back in needing stitches, loads and loads of small scars on my hands, knees,shin, head, nothing major, crashed my motorbike years ago and got road rash up the side of my thigh- left a small scar but nothing major

Tattoos? I have a tattoo of Taz (tazmanian devil) on my back that I got on my honeymoon- horrible tattoo that i regret big time, would like to get it covered with a proper tat.

Have you ever met anyone famous?

Keith Duffy :D
    Cycled with Sean Kelly??

How long are you married?

Will be 13 years in August and don't regret a day of it

Thanks for the Q's Solobally8

• Advertisement

Hi Pmaldini

favorite restaurant- used to be the green onion but since that closed down it would have to be cornstore

favorite holiday resort

We went to Salou a few times with the eldest 2 kids when they were younger,
    going to Palma Nova in 2 weeks with the 4 kids and this will be our first foreign holiday in 5 years so I might have to say Salou for the moment

money no object car

Aston-Martin-AMV10-Pic.jpg

This is a concept car but it is sex on wheels- Aston Martin AMV10
    or maybe the Aston Martin topless vanquish volante

aston-martin-vanquish-volante-red-hd-wallpaper.jpg?t=1372254525000

money no object motorbike

Definitely a nice Harley davidson fatboy...

harley-davidson-fatboy-wallpaper.jpg

if any of your kids were to excel in any sport what sport would you like that to be

difficult question, I would love them all to be great swimmers- The eldest is dying to try triathlon so i might like him to try excel in that, I would love to say something that brings in money but honestly I just want them to be happy

and i see you live just over the road,give or take 10 miles or so, we must hook up for a cycle 1 of the days

Yes there is actually a nice boards group living locally , I reckon we should all meet up for a cycle soon, what do ye think, Shotgunmcos, solobally8, mossym, pmaldini and bennymul... would be nice to put a face to some of the names, maybe an evening cycle some evening from birdhill roundabout??-seems central to everyone!

Advertisement