Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G coverage

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of switching to a 4G provider for my mobile broadband. Can anyone advise on which providers have 4G in the area? Coverage maps on the websites all seems to indicate coverage, however given I can't even get a 3g signal inside my house on Three, I wouldn't put much faith in a nicely coloured graphic!:pac:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Drop into Carphone Warehouse in Meridian and they can give you the latest update on 4G coverage in the area.
    Based on my last conversation with them a few weeks back, they told me not to be expecting 4G in the Greystones area for a while.
    Like you, the quality of THREE 3G is appalling at home. I would be happy just with 3G that does not slow down to zero in the evening !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Drop into Carphone Warehouse in Meridian and they can give you the latest update on 4G coverage in the area.
    Based on my last conversation with them a few weeks back, they told me not to be expecting 4G in the Greystones area for a while.
    Like you, the quality of THREE 3G is appalling at home. I would be happy just with 3G that does not slow down to zero in the evening !
    Won't be dropping into CPW at all.... It was them who told me that three had the best 3g coverage in Charlesland when I bought my mobile wifi hotspot. Not such a big deal as I have home broadband already, but I don't for one second trust their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I have Vodafone 4g on my mobile and don't get coverage outside of the city center. Just 3G in charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Comreg have done a helpful map of all the phone masts around Ireland and what companies and services they have on them

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

If you want to find 4G it's labeled as 'LTE'

Looks only Vodafone have 4G in the area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

3 have us on the upgrade plan, parts Of Bray are now live so I'd say not long. I have gotten some savage results from the 3 network in Dublin CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

get external aerial installed instead of crappy build in one. better speeds guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Anyone tried a 4g antenna? or ko where to get one in ireland or cheaper abroad??.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

3 have some 4G coverage down around St Patrick's school. I was down there last Friday and had 2 bars of LTE coverage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Meteor 4G coverage now in Charlesland/North Kilcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I was down the beach in Bray last week and noticed 4g. When I turn the wifi off at home it shows nothing. Am I supposed to turn something on because it doesn't even show 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I saw Clarke Communications working on the mobile mast at the rugby club over the last few days - maybe that's where you're getting the signal from!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I was down the beach in Bray last week and noticed 4g. When I turn the wifi off at home it shows nothing. Am I supposed to turn something on because it doesn't even show 3G.

I cant get three 3g in charlesland where i live (wood). Someimes get it outside but never while in the house. This has always been the case since i moved to three about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

I am with Meteor and for the last 2 weeks I have had 4G coverage in Charlesland. I am getting 20mb/s download and 4mb/s with 3 bars in the house at the back of Charleslan in the Park. Great coverage.

Got speeds of 47mb/s download and 13mb/s upload just by Eugenes this afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

ro23 wrote: »
    Got speeds of 47mb/s download and 13mb/s upload just by Eugenes this afternoon!

Which network are you using?

Cerco wrote: »
    Which network are you using?

On Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I went with Vodafone in the end. Waiting for the bus at Charlesland this morning got 26mb down and 19 up using a 4G hotspot.

Not too shabby!

Must remember to try it at home.

Advertisement