Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Limerick City

• 01-04-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello.

I'm not from Ireland so I don't know exactly how it works, I need to park around O'Connell but I see this sign (sorry street view resolution):

O1Z5koT.png

And I don't know how it works, my question is, can I park without a fine from 5:30 pm to 9:30 am? I don't know what of the next is the correct about the sign:

1 - You need a disc to park between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm 2 hours max. Out of those hours no disc is needed and no time limit.
    2 - You need a disc to park between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm, if no disc 2 hours max.
    3 - You need a disc to park there always. If between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm only two hours limited.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

No. 1 is correct, you must display a disc for on street parking in any of the designated on street parking areas in the city between the hours posted. That sign shows a 2 hour maximum stay.

Outside those hours you are free to park in any of the designated spaces without charge, so no disc displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Same as above. You can buy discs in a number of shops on o'Connell St. Depending how long you are parking for, it may work out cheaper to park in a car park. P.s watch out for vicious wardens

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

Thank you very much!! I leave the office at 5:30 pm so I won't need a disc, that's good to know :)

So the discs are like the tickets you normally get from a parkimeter but instead of that you have to buy it from a store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Wallack wrote: »
    Thank you very much!! I leave the office at 5:30 pm so I won't need a disc, that's good to know :)

So the discs are like the tickets you normally get from a parkimeter but instead of that you have to buy it from a store?

Yes, the disk basically has a 24h clock on it and you scratch off the date and time that you park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

There's also the parking app - limerick eparking is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

As others have said you need a disc displayed however given the large volume of illegal / ignorant parking throughout the city it seems like there is no enforcement so you will be grand wherever you park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Lads I'd say the OP is sorted by now, thread is 5 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Some cnut stole my bike in limerick

I'd blame Zulutango :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kingtut wrote: »
    As others have said you need a disc displayed however given the large volume of illegal / ignorant parking throughout the city it seems like there is no enforcement so you will be grand wherever you park.

Wrong i regularly see the traffic warden patrolling the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wrong i regularly see the traffic warden patrolling the streets.

There are a few and even a lady driving around in a white van with a walkie talkie telling them where offenders can be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Give me one week as a traffic warden in this city and i will provide enough funds to build the Northern ring road !

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

kilburn wrote: »
    Give me one week as a traffic warden in this city and i will provide enough funds to build the Northern ring road !

you do realise how much the ring road is 'actually' going to cost?? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't know, with the amount of illegal parking in the city, he might not be far off :)

And there will be change for our world class waterfront !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There's too much on-street parking in Limerick City. It's a great revenue earner for the Council, but it's time to start reducing it and using the street space for more beneficial purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

zulutango wrote: »
    There's too much on-street parking in Limerick City. It's a great revenue earner for the Council, but it's time to start reducing it and using the street space for more beneficial purposes.

Another anti-car suggestion from zulutango. What a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Yes, agreed, I want to park my sulkie on the street and I can't because it's full of cars

John_Mc wrote: »
    Another anti-car suggestion from zulutango. What a surprise.

Indeed. I just hate cars. It's nothing to do with wanting to see our street space put to more beneficial use.

Indeed. I just hate cars. It's nothing to do with wanting to see our street space put to more beneficial use.

Such as sulkie racing

Yeah, exactly.

I mean, most people don't go out to the crescent for the ample and free parking. Further reducing the available parking and placing a few trees there definitely isn't going to drive more people out to the shopping centres. Definitely not

• Advertisement

Yeah, exactly.

I mean, most people don't go out to the crescent for the ample and free parking. Further reducing the available parking and placing a few trees there definitely isn't going to drive more people out to the shopping centres. Definitely not

Most people who go to the Crescent don't come from the city and have no intention of going anywhere near it.

The best future for Limerick City is to make itself an attractive destination. Flinging cars on the side of the road isn't conducive to that objective.

Most people who go to the Crescent don't come from the city and have no intention of going anywhere near it.

The best future for Limerick City is to make itself an attractive destination. Flinging cars on the side of the road isn't conducive to that objective.

Sorry but you're wrong there. Just go to the Limerick Leader page on facebook and you'll see a lot of people complaining about the price of parking in Limerick. Which isn't really expensive in the first place so it matters to people.

You're right about making it an attractive destination and putting barriers up to people getting to the destination in the first place does not make it attractive - it does the opposite.

Forgive me if I don't consider the comments section of the Limerick Leader Facebook page a great indicator of what's good for the city.

Forgive me if I don't consider the comments section of the Limerick Leader Facebook page a great indicator of what's good for the city.

Yet here you are preaching on an internet forum about what's good for the city...

I'm well aware that the level of debate on boards is scraping the bottom of the barrell!

Quite rude to all the posters in the Limerick forum

By the way you are not debating you are pontificating

Agreed, i made the point on twitter that if we removed the space used for parking there would be more space for bus lanes and cycle lanes. Let's not forget zulutango and myself both drive, we just don't believe that having cars in the city is beneficial to the city.

Sorry but you're wrong there. Just go to the Limerick Leader page on facebook and you'll see a lot of people complaining about the price of parking in Limerick. Which isn't really expensive in the first place so it matters to people.

You're right about making it an attractive destination and putting barriers up to people getting to the destination in the first place does not make it attractive - it does the opposite.
    Jesus, the Limerick leader comment section is even below the levels of stupidity that's displayed on the likes of the journal comment section. Full of small minded xenophobes and bigots for the most part.

Hardly a good indication of what's best for the city. Boards is definitely a good bit higher than the above two

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jesus, the Limerick leader comment section is even below the levels of stupidity that's displayed on the likes of the journal comment section. Full of small minded xenophobes and bigots for the most part.

Hardly a good indication of what's best for the city. Boards is definitely a good bit higher than the above two

That post reeks of arrogance much the same as Zulutango's on this thread (and most others).

It's ironic and amusing that you're calling everyone posting on the LL Facebook and The Journal small minded and stupid when you're tarnishing two types of people with a broad stroke like that.

My point was a reference to the fact that you'd see a lot of people complaining about the price of parking in the city centre even though it's very low at €1 an hour.

To preach to us and state as fact that removing parking from the city centre will not detrimentally affect the city economically is what I would call stupid.

No amount of nice wide footpaths, trees and open spaces is going to make people in Limerick wait an hour for the bus in the lashing rain.

• Advertisement

What's your source?

Mod edit to remove the naughty

Advertisement