Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Limerick City

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Mc Love wrote: »
    Agreed, i made the point on twitter that if we removed the space used for parking there would be more space for bus lanes and cycle lanes. Let's not forget zulutango and myself both drive, we just don't believe that having cars in the city is beneficial to the city.

But Zulu also doesn't support building roads bringing traffic around the city either. He thinks all policies should be anti-car.

And tough luck to those living on one side of the city and working on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

John_Mc wrote: »
    But Zulu also doesn't support building roads bringing traffic around the city either. He thinks all policies should be anti-car.

And tough luck to those living on one side of the city and working on the other.

Car dominant policies have been in place for years in limerick. I don’t think it should be considered “anti car” to introduce new transport policies that have been proven effective in other more successful cities.

mdmix wrote: »
    Car dominant policies have been in place for years in limerick. I don’t think it should be considered “anti car” to introduce new transport policies that have been proven effective in other more successful cities.

Sorry but a policy that:
    • Refuses to build bypasses or circular roads around city thereby forcing traffic through the city
    • Reduces lanes and enforces traffic restrictions through the city
    • Removes parking within the city
    Is the definition of anti-car.

I'm all for improving the city centre but alternatives need to be provided rather than a "tough luck" approach which is exactly what ZT has been pushing on this forum.

Limerick does not have the population or population density to fund a high quality public transport infrastructure so it would be loss making to provide at a high enough level to make it a viable alternative. I'm ok with it making a loss but I don't think the council, government, or private company would be.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about with ZT can be seen over on the NDR thread. This road will bring traffic around the city rather than through it. The result should be less traffic in the city and generally a nicer place to be. But no, not good enough for ZT. He thinks it's a terrible idea because it will result in urban sprawl. If you look up his other posts you'll find posts pushing for lane restrictions and removing traffic from the city. This is anti-car without providing any alternative.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MOD note. No personal abuse. Keep it civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The introduction of further restrictions on motorists or the outright banning of cars on certain streets could result in the death of commercial life in the city centre. There is clearly a problem with the enforcement of traffic laws particularly with regard to speeding and jaywalking as well as - but to a much lesser degree - parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

zulutango wrote: »
    There's too much on-street parking in Limerick City. It's a great revenue earner for the Council, but it's time to start reducing it and using the street space for more beneficial purposes.
    Like for those of us who have a blue badge due to limited mobility??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

chicorytip wrote:
    The introduction of further restrictions on motorists or the outright banning of cars on certain streets could result in the death of commercial life in the city centre.

Or indeed it could enhance commercial life as proven in numerous studies. Even the Chamber of Commerce of calling for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

zulutango wrote:
    Or indeed it could enhance commercial life as proven in numerous studies. Even the Chamber of Commerce of calling for it.

Very interesting to see how you pick and choose your answers a person with a blue disabled badge for parking just challenged your idea to reduce on street parking and you ignored it that sums up your arguments throughout this forum you pick and choose who you reply to and ignore the valid points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

You'd swear I'd all the time in the world to argue with you. I'm all for disabled access to the city centre. There should be more and better parking for disabled people and large fines for those who illegally take disabled spaces.

If it seems like I pick and choose the points I argue it's because I've far better and more productive things to be doing with my time than trying to win over some angry people on boards.

To be fair you replied to the post before it so you saw it

I havent come accross any angry people in this forum yet in all my years on it just people who like to point out the ridiculous and hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

John_Mc wrote: »
    Sorry but a policy that:
    • Refuses to build bypasses or circular roads around city thereby forcing traffic through the city
    • Reduces lanes and enforces traffic restrictions through the city
    • Removes parking within the city
    Is the definition of anti-car.

No it’s not, being pro one thing doesn’t make you anti something else. Btw the current local policy is to build a ring road despite having no documented need or justification. There are no active plans to reduce lanes or enforce traffic restrictions in the city. Between the tunnel and motorway and general roadworks, there would have been over 1 billion pumped into roads around the city in the last 15 years ( local and cenral funding). Another 200 million will be dead money as it will shift growth to that road, clog it up with traffic and result in calls for a new road to reduce traffic.

People have mentioned that a lot of trafffic does not go to the city center, but there are limits to the amount of traffic Raheen and castletroy can handle, as well as the city center which, is adding office space for 10k workers. There is a need for alternate means of transport for all of these areas, and while I have sympathy for those who live outside these areas and commute in, a ring road will not help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

https://twitter.com/TODUrbanWORKS/status/1068941866123452418?s=19

This explains a lot. Maybe there should be a carpool lane.

No it’s not, being pro one thing doesn’t make you anti something else.

You are right in that pro one things doesn't automatically mean anti-another. Ask anyone to look at the list I provided above and they would describe it as anti-car.
    Btw the current local policy is to build a ring road despite having no documented need or justification. There are no active plans to reduce lanes or enforce traffic restrictions in the city. Between the tunnel and motorway and general roadworks, there would have been over 1 billion pumped into roads around the city in the last 15 years ( local and cenral funding). Another 200 million will be dead money as it will shift growth to that road, clog it up with traffic and result in calls for a new road to reduce traffic.

People have mentioned that a lot of trafffic does not go to the city center, but there are limits to the amount of traffic Raheen and castletroy can handle, as well as the city center which, is adding office space for 10k workers. There is a need for alternate means of transport for all of these areas, and while I have sympathy for those who live outside these areas and commute in, a ring road will not help

My post was talking about what ZT was advocating and not the actual policy.

Maybe Castletroy is at capacity for traffic but people still need to get there for college and work. Without a ring road all of that traffic will still be forced through town or via side roads.

Your logic about the road causing more development does not need to be the case if the councils don't grant planning for it. It is not a reason not to bring traffic around the city rather than that through it.

William St was a disgrace this morning can understand why the traffic corp and traffic wardens wont clamp down on it.

Traffic was backed up to union cross almost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

kilburn wrote: »
    William St was a disgrace this morning can understand why the traffic corp and traffic wardens wont clamp down on it.

Traffic was backed up to union cross almost

The afternoon the Christmas lights were turned on and all traffic diverted up William street, the amount of abandoned cars with hazards lights on made it look like a chicane. With 3 guards looking on from where pedestrian area started. Worst policed street in limerick with Parnell St a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The afternoon the Christmas lights were turned on and all traffic diverted up William street, the amount of abandoned cars with hazards lights on made it look like a chicane. With 3 guards looking on from where pedestrian area started. Worst policed street in limerick with Parnell St a close second.

Patrick Street not far behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I've seen the traffic wardens walk past empty cars with hazards on on William street. I think they are under specific instructions to not enforce.

Meanwhile, if you dare park in the unused taxi rank by Debenhams you will get towed.

Meanwhile, if you dare park in the unused taxi rank by Debenhams you will get towed.

And it's an impressive rank too where you have to step out into the traffic if more than 1 or 2 passengers need to get in

Advertisement