Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Soccer Players of all Time

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

jmayo wrote: »
    I think Ulysses Gaze and later Nerdlingr gave the best response to your point.

Maradona took a team that had won nothing and they were competing in probably the best league in the world.
    Juventus in 1985 had beaten Liverpool in the infamous Hysel European Cup final.
    Roma had lost to Liverpool in 1984.

Platini was playing for Juve up to 1987.
    Rummenigge was playing for Inter upto 1987.
    As Trappatoni's Juventus dominance was coming to an end, Berlusconi's Milan arrived with the Dutch trio of van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard and homegrown talent of the likes of Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Donadoni, Ancelotti.
    Sacchi's Milan team of 89-90 was once voted the club team of all time.
    Remind you of Barca's accolades ?
    Inter added the Germans Matthaus and Brehme in 1988 with Klinsmann arriving in 89.
    They had Italian long term stalwarts such as Zenga, Bergomi, Ferri, Berti.

Meanwhile Napoli most well know guys apart from Maradona were Brazilian Careca, and Italian internaionals Ferrara, Bagni, De Napoli.
    Not exactly overflowing with famous names.

For anyone old enough that used to watch Seria A highlights on Monday nights TV some of those names will definitely ring a few bells. :D

***Virtual high five***

The first game I can remeber watching was the 86 WC final. I started following football seriously just before Euro 88. My father was well into it and I rememebr him listeing to the qualifiers on the radio and it all being too much (Bulgaria esp). I watched the now legendary Bulgaria v Scotland qualifier and Michael Lyster tearing up his script live on TV after the game in delight....:)

For me, the player with the greatest presence on a pitch was without a doubt was Diego Maradona. I swear you could wheel him out today and just have him stand in the centre circle for 90 mins and Argentina would drive on to win the world cup. The WC in 94 should have been won by Argentina but that's a different story.

I think the only player that has come close to sheer presence in the past 20 years is Zidane. He is not as good as Maradona but my God he had presence.

TBH honest, we should have Top 5 for each position. Not ideal, but here goes, my top 5 is going to be within the past 26 years:

1. Maradona
    2. Messi (I have found myself standing up and applauding in the living room)
    3. Zidane. Aforementioned
    4. Maldini. Say no more....what a legend
    5. Mattheaus. Hard bastard and any player who playes international for 20 years has to get on my list. Was fortunate to see him play live.

I am taking a more rounded approach and not just based on pure technical abilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    OO Del Perio forgot all about that legend, wikid shot he had

There's an entire section of the goal named after him for a reason. Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Even though I included Zidane in my list, the one thing that nags at me was the amount of times he gave away the ball.

What I loved about Maradona was that he loved the game. He loved playing and just got on with it. His love for the game was infectious. Yes toward the end he got more cynical and narky but really it was due to the constant kicking he got.

He was such a huge personality that it's highly unlikely we will ever see that likes again we will never see the likes again.

I have a hard on...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

James Richardson.

Great show.

Brilliant show, was my introduction to Italian football. Used to look forward to seeing Batistuta's goals every weekend...still have a soft spot for the Viola thanks to him. Back to the greatest players, would love to have seen this guy in the flesh:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Loved that tune (Goooalll Lazioooo or something like that) & show on Channel 4 & TnG I think, what was the baldy headed guys name again??

Chooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!
    Best into music EVER!
    Ah the memories...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

In my lifetime

Ronaldo(Brazilian)
    Messi
    C. Ronaldo
    Zidane(Great Player,but never a fan of him as a person)
    Maldini(I remember his later years the best, but possible the greatest defender to ever lace up a pair of boots)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Brazilian Ronaldo was so good that when he was off form Brazil lost a World Cup final but when he was on form they won one.

• Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Chooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!
    Best into music EVER!
    Ah the memories...:rolleyes:

This is getting converted for my ringtone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This is getting converted for my ringtone :cool:

Ha ha, I'm actually doing the same!! :pac:

• Forgot to Mention Roberto Baggio (other than his peno miss)

and Francesco Totti. Amazing to watch.

• Advertisement

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And the fact that at the time, Italian football was at it's strongest. Loved the piece he used to do on the Italian Tabloid reports.

should have posted this;
    See @ approx 3.25 mark.

I ended up watching the lot out of nostalgia.
    Peter Brackley had a great tone to his voice when commentating.
    He was also the legend behind some hilarious commentary in Pro Evolution soccer on the PS2 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

All these people mentioning C. Ronaldo as one of the top players of all time, seriously need to cop the fcuk on. The lad isn't even close. Further away to it than I am of walking to Mars. Not even fit to lace the boots of some of the more modern mercurial greats like Del Piero, Nedved, Baggio, Hagi, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Zidane, Van Basten, Batistuta, Pirlo, Romario, Stoichov and so many many many many more. That's before you even get into the Maradona's, Pele's, Cruyff's and Platini's of this world. Seriously, anyone who ranks C. Ronaldo even close to anywhere near the top 5 off all time, pull your head out of your arse, and get a fcuking proper footballing education. Clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Well i wasn't expecting that! I respectfully disagree about C. Ronaldo. Begrudgingly I admit that he is a stunning player. He has amazing awareness and skill, he's a consumate professional and a monster of an athlete. He's just consistently brilliant and it's hard to find a flaw. I'm not sure what more can the man do to be accepted as one of the greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Exactly 25 years ago today.

The greatest i have seen play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Ronaldo
    C Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Maradonna
    BERGKAMP (all day every day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All these people mentioning C. Ronaldo as one of the top players of all time, seriously need to cop the fcuk on. The lad isn't even close. Further away to it than I am of walking to Mars. Not even fit to lace the boots of some of the more modern mercurial greats like Del Piero, Nedved, Baggio, Hagi, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Zidane, Van Basten, Batistuta, Pirlo, Romario, Stoichov and so many many many many more. That's before you even get into the Maradona's, Pele's, Cruyff's and Platini's of this world. Seriously, anyone who ranks C. Ronaldo even close to anywhere near the top 5 off all time, pull your head out of your arse, and get a fcuking proper footballing education. Clowns

Late night drinks Eamon?

Advertisement