Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Advice Needed

Options
  • 01-04-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

Long time listner first time caller.

This is my first full year in Tri. I got the TT bike, joined TI and have been training somewhat regularily since last sept.

This training has given me some improvements but nothing major. So either I was in better shape than I thought last year or my training needs to step up!

At present it looks like

Mon: Swim with a group 2000m warm up/cool down and 10 x 100s
    Tues: 10k run at decent pace
    Wed: This was a turbo session but thats finito now
    Thurs: Morning swim if i can get up and quick 5k run in the eve if not its just evening swim.
    Fri: Off
    Sat: Run of 5k with some hill sprints
    Sun: cycle around 30-35 k hilly course

Basically I need advice as to when to go hard and when to go easy, distances etc I know i should throw in strength too but it ain't easy with work and the fact that i struggle to get out of bed for that never mind anything else.

I think thats around 6-6.5 hours.. I could push to 8 or 9

The season is drawing near and I need more improvments but i'm also aware I could burn out if i go too hard too soon.

Help!:)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

How are you measuring "improvements"? How do you know you are not getting faster?

You don't seem to have a long run in your week? Personally, I find it invaluable for improving endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

I thought a 10k run was quite long in the middle of the week. Should I go longer at an easier pace?

Im basically basing my results on times.

750m swim takes around 15mins
    10k run takes arounf 42mins
    5k run 19.30mins

20k bike 37 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm no expert but most of your training (timewise) should be at a relatively easy effort (i.e. sub threshold effort). Most of your sessions seem to be hard? You should at least have a mixture of easy and hard sessions.

Advertisement