Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracted hours

Options
  • 01-04-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

posting from mobile on behalf of my gf. She works for one of the convenience stores spar londis mace..... Her "contract" states she has to work 5 days one week then 6 the second week then 5 then 6 and so on.
    The thing that gets me is she is on salary and gets paid the same every week wether its 5 or 6 days and if there is a Sunday or bank holiday worked in that week how does this balance out? The manager says its all worked out in the salary but surely that's not plausible? She has repeatedly asked to be told what her hourly rate is but gets told your on salary and don't need that. That's bs as far as I'm concerned can they do this?
    She also requested to be put on hourly wage instead of salary but was told/asked if she wanted to work and that she won't be given hours even though she is needed!

The reason I say "contract" is she never signed what would be considered a contract just a few pages with sfa info on it and only after the company got in trouble with their contracts with nera. They got everyone to sign them, every time she asks for one she gets fobbed off. is this business taking the Mick and abusing its workers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So she's working in the convenience store sector and has full time work and guaranteed pay - that's actually not bad going, many such workers would be grateful just for the full-time hours.

How many hours per week does she work on average? If it's roughly 40, then take her annual salary, divide by 2000 and that's roughly the hourly rate. If it's not 40, then the maths is a tiny bit harder (salary / (average hours * 52)), but you get the same effect.

Getting paid the same amount no matter how many day or hours are worked - yup, that's normal for a salaried employee.

The bank holidays thing is wrong, don't think they can be averaged into a salary like that - but if she works one, she should have a days leave in lieu.

And most contracts are only a few pages long, and refer to other supporting documents etc staff handbooks, policy statements.

Is she in a management role, or aspiring to one? If so, then it would be best to stop thinking like a wage-worker (asking for hourly rate etc) - that's a pretty career-limiting way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

So she's working in the convenience store sector and has full time work and guaranteed pay - that's actually not bad going, many such workers would be grateful just for the full-time hours.

Why? was the fact she interviewed for the position had experience and proved herself past probation and works very hard not enough now she has to be grateful to be in a job that's silly.
    How many hours per week does she work on average? If it's roughly 40, then take her annual salary, divide by 2000 and that's roughly the hourly rate. If it's not 40, then the maths is a tiny bit harder (salary / (average hours * 52)), but you get the same effect.

its 37.5 one week then 45 the next so thats worked out for her hourly rate.
    Getting paid the same amount no matter how many day or hours are worked - yup, that's normal for a salaried employee.

No no its not I was on Salary before if I worked over time I was entitled to it if I worked an extra day I got paid for it.
    The bank holidays thing is wrong, don't think they can be averaged into a salary like that - but if she works one, she should have a days leave in lieu.

Never gotten a day in lieu for working one which is wrong I have told her this before.
    And most contracts are only a few pages long, and refer to other supporting documents etc staff handbooks, policy statements.

This contract was 2 pages and very sparse If we were together when she was given the job then I would of told her not to sign it, She had just moved to the country and needed a job at the time. No hand book or such even provided!

Is she in a management role, or aspiring to one? If so, then it would be best to stop thinking like a wage-worker (asking for hourly rate etc) - that's a pretty career-limiting way of thinking.

Not yet but has been offered the managers position and another position in a different shop so currently deciding what to do. How's that for a "career-limiting way of thinking" and "thinking like a wage worker"? There is nothing wrong with wanting to know what your hourly wage is!

Her main gripe is the 5 days one week then 6 days the next, she would drop her pay a bit to get rid of the 6th day. I have never heard of this and anyone I Know/ask who owns or runs similar store has never heard of one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Salaried staff are exactly that. They are not on an hourly rate.

Her contract should state her salary and the hours expected to work. Although it's usually expected that salaried staff will work extra and rarely they get OT. Often it's given as time in lieu.

From what I see the only potential gripe is if she's constantly being roster red on for time well in excess of her contracted hours.

Advertisement