Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail an elective

Options
  • 01-04-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi
    I picked/was forced to pick an elective I don't really like. Right now it's too late to switch electives, and most of other ones are full anyway. So I have a question, if I fail that one elective will I be able to carry on to second year?
    I know you can carry one fail but how exactly does it work?
    In a CIT document on marks it says:
    The candidate has attained 55 credits, and may progress to the next stage of the programme. However the failed 5-credit module MUST be passed before the candidate can progress to any further stage.
    So by carrying I'll still have to repeat it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

kajzer wrote: »
    Hi
    I picked/was forced to pick an elective I don't really like. Right now it's too late to switch electives, and most of other ones are full anyway. So I have a question, if I fail that one elective will I be able to carry on to second year?
    I know you can carry one fail but how exactly does it work?
    In a CIT document on marks it says:

So by carrying I'll still have to repeat it?

This depends what year you are in. If you are going into 2nd or 3rd year then you can carry fail one module. Each module you do is worth 5 credits, so you need to pass the other 11 modules basically.
    As its an elective, you don't actually have to do that same module next year when repeating. If you do end up carrying it into next year then you have to pass it next year!

Do you think you could pass by compensation though?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Ok so say I fail this module and next year I have to do 7 modules? To get the 5 credits I lose now?
    I'll try to pass this module anyway, just considering my options.
    How does compensation work? Does a module need to be close to 40 to pass by compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

kajzer wrote: »
    How does compensation work? Does a module need to be close to 40 to pass by compensation?
    Im open to correction here but I think it needs to be 35 or above, and it can only be done for one module.

Trust me the best option here is to knuckle down hard and pass the thing. The only way it would be impossible to pass would be if you didn't turn up most of the time and are lacking most of the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

You need to get 35+ in that module, and at least 55 in a different module. You can't fail any other modules though. You can only compensate on one.

I would recommend speaking to your lecturer if you think you won't make the grade. Generally if you speak to them they will do all they can to help pull you up to the compensation mark at least.

Have you tried maybe going to the academic learning centre if they have grinds? Haven't tried them but they might be able to help you out!

Advertisement